Manager: Walter Alston

Position Players
|
Pitchers
|
Lineup vs. LHP
|
Lineup vs. RHP

C: King Kelly (R) | SP1: Sandy Koufax (L) | 1. Cool Papa Bell (S) | 1. Cool Papa Bell (S)
1B: Lou Gehrig (L) | SP2: Bob Feller (R) | 2. King Kelly (R) | 2. King Kelly (R)
2B: Pete Rose (S) | SP3: Bert Blyleven (R) | 3. Lou Gehrig (L) | 3. Lou Gehrig (L)
3B: Brooks Robinson (R) | SP4: Catfish Hunter (R) | 4. Frank Robinson (R) | 4. Frank Robinson (R)
SS: Nomar Garciaparra (R) | SP5: David Price (L) | 5. Sammy Sosa (R) | 5. Earl Averill (L)
LF: Frank Robinson (R) | Long: Bobby Shantz (L) | 6. Nomar Garciaparra (R) | 6. Nomar Garciaparra (R)
CF: Cool Papa Bell (S) | Mid1: Ellis Kinder (R) | 7. Bobby Grich (R) | 7. Pete Rose (S)
RF: Sammy Sosa (R) | Mid2: Steve Cishek (R) | 8. Brooks Robinson (R) | 8. Brooks Robinson (R)
Bench: LF Ducky Medwick (R) | Short1: Koji Uehara (R) | 9. Pitcher's Spot | 9. Pitcher's Spot
Bench: 2B Bobby Grich (R) | Short2: B.J.Ryan (L)
Bench: CF/RF Earl Averill (L) | Closer: Goose Gossage (R)
Bench: SS Willie Wells (R) |
Bench: 1B Rafael Palmeiro (L) |
Bench: C Louis Santop (L) |

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Well the playoffs are finally here and we start with a reunion of legendary teammates now in different dugouts. Here's to a good series LA!

BabeRuthLouGehrig.jpg

Might as well roll with the four man rotation in the first round, with David Price going to the pen in basically a LOOGY/mop up/emergency role while the Monarchs' other pen pitchers more or less keep their normal roles. Angels definitely have a formidable offense but I'm willing to take my chances with the old adage of great pitching stopping great hitting in the playoffs, led by the Monarchs' big four starters (Sandy, Feller, Blyleven and Catfish) and a shutdown pen which should have the advantage in tight games late headed by Goose as closer and Uehara as the main setup guy. All in all, our pen has four quality righties and three formidable lefties available for late inning duty.

For the playoffs I've decided to platoon a second position - starting Earl Averill in RF against RHP since his career splits against RHP (.326/.407/.553) are much better than Sammy's (.265/.327/.525). This also balances out the Monarchs' lineup against RHP with two switch-hitters, two lefties and four righties. On the other side, I feel the Monarchs match up well with Angels' two lefty aces considering the seven RHB's (including the switch-hitting Cool Papa) I can roll out against them, and Gehrig being the lone lefty. Not to mention the speed with Cool Papa and Kelly at the top of the order giving catcher Piazza fits on the basepaths.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Alright, my analysis thus far:

I wasn't a huge fan of the Angels' rotation in the regular season. Hernandez and Scherzer aren't super compelling to me in this format. But those qualms are less in the post season with Scherzer probably not starting and Hernandez getting only one start, at most. That said, the Royals have a solid rotation, especially, again, in post season play.

In the infield, both teams have pluses and minuses. I think, overall, it favors the Monarchs, but it's closer than I'd expect with Gehrig being the key piece.

The outfield leans the other way. I'm not sure what I think about Trout in this format. He's obviously been amazing. But has he played long enough? I think yes, although it's a little unfair to look at career slashes without a backslide. Obviously Ruth is Ruth.

In terms of total lineup, I like the Angels' lineup better. 2-6 is just a murderer's row. That said, I think that the Monarchs will be able to score runs still against a weaker rotation.

I think it will be a good series, and I look forward to others' arguments

Pwnasaurus

Feb 21, 2003
Robot City
One of the most intriguing storylines in this series to me is the Monarchs speed (probably the most in the draft) vs Piazza but with 2 left handed starters both of whom are/were good at holding runners on.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad