'99 born sleepers that could make an impact next year?

Ovechkin962

Aug 25, 2010
I was looking at some OHL stats and I saw some players that are playing in Jr. A and Jr. B, but managed to record some points in their few games in the OHL this year. Can they become players like Mark Scheifele and make an impact in their draft year?

Nathan Schnarr, 6'3 centerman from the Waterloo Siskins (Played with the Guelph Storm)
http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=283248

Greg Meireles, playing with the Ottawa Jr. Senators (Played with the Kitchener Rangers)
http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=286948

Fedor Gordeev, 6'5 dman playing with the Ancaster Avalanche (Played with the Hamilton Bulldogs)
http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=273797

SmartPuck

Mar 8, 2016
Not unknown but some under the radar WHL guys with long-term value would be:

Parker Kelly - PA
Connor Dewar - Everett
Brayden Gorda - Edmonton
Lukus Mackenzie - Saskatoon
Ryan Peckford - Victoria
Austin Pratt - Red Deer
Brett Davis - Lethbridge
Mark Kastelic - Calgary
Scott Walford - Victoria
Jake Christianson - Everett
Jarrett Tyszka - Seattle
Brayden Pachal - Victoria

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
Ian Blacker, MacKenzie Entwistle, Jonathan Smart. Blacker is a big, mobile defensive defenceman, he'll get a chance to play with London if he decides to play with London instead of going NCAA route. Entwistle is a big, skilled winger. I like his grit, hands, hockey sense. Jonathan Smart is a kid who's going to skyrocket under Kelowna, two-way, very high hockey IQ, defenceman that controls the play.

Evan Bouchard looks better than Juolevi IMO, you can see that poise, passing ability, from Bouchard. He should be good. Josh Brook is another strong defenceman in Moose Jaw, quick, smart, moves the puck forward defenceman.

Last edited:

SmartPuck

Mar 8, 2016
Ian Blacker, MacKenzie Entwistle, Jonathan Smart. Blacker is a big, mobile defensive defenceman, he'll get a chance to play with London if he decides to play with London instead of going NCAA route. Entwistle is a big, skilled winger. I like his grit, hands, hockey sense. Jonathan Smart is a kid who's going to skyrocket under Kelowna, two-way, very high hockey IQ, defenceman that controls the play.

Evan Bouchard looks better than Juolevi IMO, you can see that poise, passing ability, from Bouchard. He should be good. Josh Brook is another strong defenceman in Moose Jaw, quick, smart, moves the puck forward defenceman.

I also like Smart and Brook but didn't mention them because they're not really unknown as they were both first round bantam picks.

Dodospice

Jan 19, 2012
I wouldn't call Meireles a sleeper, the only reason he isn't playing in the OHL right now is because he chose not too.

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
I also like Smart and Brook but didn't mention them because they're not really unknown as they were both first round bantam picks.
Yeah that's true. Most of the guys I mentioned are obvious, but it seems like a lot of people don't really care or know about the 2017 NHL Draft right now.

herbst20

Jul 8, 2011

I know London will put the full court press on Blacker, but as it stands right now, Ian will play in Cedar Rapids (USHL) next season.

RoR21

May 24, 2011
Hamilton scout is sure Gordeev has NHL potential. Have seen Miereles a couple times in Jr A and he's been a pleasure in a lower level Jr A league, def has some upside but wouldn't see him being at top 60 pick at this point

shakenbake7

Apr 7, 2009
I think Pierre-Olivier Joseph (drafted in the 5th round by the Charlottetown Islanders) will be drafted higher than his brother, who was a 4th round NHL draft pick, when it's all said and done.

sbtatter

Feb 27, 2005
Guttenburg from Brandon could be a sleeper to be a lower round draft pick. Improved at every level of hockey and has great speed and smarts. Undersized, and recovering from a broken leg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad