OT: 93rd Obsequious Banter Thread: Where Petr Nedved is a + Performer

The executioner approaches. The Stone King smells our abominable candy and is intrigued.

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Doubtful. You have to pay for the robots and specialized techs to maintain them.

Sure but compared to other mass manufacturing countries also relying on robotics, I believe the US is more advanced.

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
We have more safety protocols and “honest” practices here than elsewhere. That brings costs up. Other places use child or slave labor and that lowers their overhead.

I would say in general it’s a bit simpler and less nefarious than that. While such practices do occur in some places it’s probably not enough to make a dent in the US economy. Companies make things to be cost effective. BMW and Mercedes both have plants right here in the US because it’s cheaper for them to build and sell the cars here than to build them in Germany and ship them here.

I’ve had a VW Jetta and Audi Q5, both of which were built in Mexico. Both excellent cars and I guarantee you they weren’t built by children or slaves.

Oh, and GM builds some of its vehicles in Mexico too. Welcome to the global economy, it’s not going away.

Lord Defect

Secretary of Blowtorching
Nov 13, 2013
I would say in general it’s a bit simpler and less nefarious than that. While such practices do occur in some places it’s probably not enough to make a dent in the US economy. Companies make things to be cost effective. BMW and Mercedes both have plants right here in the US because it’s cheaper for them to build and sell the cars here than to build them in Germany and ship them here.

I’ve had a VW Jetta and Audi Q5, both of which were built in Mexico. Both excellent cars and I guarantee you they weren’t built by children or slaves.

Oh, and GM builds some of its vehicles in Mexico too. Welcome to the global economy, it’s not going away.
Not for nothing but a car is much more expensive to ship than say a shipping container of shoes or something else like that.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
You're in the Philly area right? We got buried last year.
Up here, we got 14 inches(35 cms for us Canadians) overnight.
IMG_20211209_094708.jpg
IMG_20211209_094122.jpg
IMG_20211209_094201.jpg

I shoveled last night, and then again at 5:30 to get the wife off to work. Our road still is not plowed but 2 roads over, it is. Wife could not get up the hill and came back home. I went with her and we got up the 2nd time and once she got to the plowed road, I got out and walked home...lol. fun thing to do at 6am.

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
Not for nothing but a car is much more expensive to ship than say a shipping container of shoes or something else like that.

Sure, which partially explains why so many shoes are made overseas. The other part is the standard of living is lower in those places, thus wages are lower, so prices are lower. We Americans love our low prices.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lord Defect

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Up here, we got 14 inches(35 cms for us Canadians) overnight.
View attachment 489122 View attachment 489123 View attachment 489124

I shoveled last night, and then again at 5:30 to get the wife off to work. Our road still is not plowed but 2 roads over, it is. Wife could not get up the hill and came back home. I went with her and we got up the 2nd time and once she got to the plowed road, I got out and walked home...lol. fun thing to do at 6am.

Lucky bastard

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad