Player Discussion #93 - Sam Bennett

King In The North

Sean Bennett
Jul 9, 2007
Winterfell
Duchene is probably the best comparison, as Duchene is sort of hard to compare as well. Duchene has an elite first few strides with top level speeds, and plays in all areas in the game (two-way style and goes into the corners).

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Bennett is a tough comparison in the NHL these days, because the guys who play on the edge (I'm not sure he'll bring that to the pros) tend to be lower tier guys who are more or less just energy plugs for their respective teams. You don't find it in your top 6 too often, but when you do, it makes for some fun hockey (Perry & Ovi).

I've heard him be compared to Toews, Pavelski, Kesler, Duchene and Killer. I think it'll depend on what he brings to the NHL. If he doesn't fight and rough people up; I think it's safe to say he'll move more into a skill role.

I for one, would be beyond happy if Calgary got an in his prime type Ryan Kesler out of Bennett; pest, fights, hits, plays an incredible two way game, scores 75 points... That'd be crazy. You toss that in with Monahan... you have yourself a Stanley or Two when things are said and done.

Nordiques1979

Nov 29, 2009
Laval QC
Bennett is a tough comparison in the NHL these days, because the guys who play on the edge (I'm not sure he'll bring that to the pros) tend to be lower tier guys who are more or less just energy plugs for their respective teams. You don't find it in your top 6 too often, but when you do, it makes for some fun hockey (Perry & Ovi).

I've heard him be compared to Toews, Pavelski, Kesler, Duchene and Killer. I think it'll depend on what he brings to the NHL. If he doesn't fight and rough people up; I think it's safe to say he'll move more into a skill role.

I for one, would be beyond happy if Calgary got an in his prime type Ryan Kesler out of Bennett; pest, fights, hits, plays an incredible two way game, scores 75 points... That'd be crazy. You toss that in with Monahan... you have yourself a Stanley or Two when things are said and done.

Reading you description i think about Doug Gilmour.

Monahan For Mayor*

Wasn't he also coached by Gilmore?

Drafted by, Dougie wasn't running the bench after Bennet joined the team. I've heard he helps out in practices and such tho. So wouldn't say he hasn't learned some stuff from him.

They have extremely similar play styles. The thing I don't see as much in Bennet is that "killer" mentality. Bennet definitely has a ton of spark don't get me wrong, just don't know if he has that extra bit.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Gilmour is a terrible role model, I hope Bennett is nothing like him as a person

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Drafted by, Dougie wasn't running the bench after Bennet joined the team. I've heard he helps out in practices and such tho. So wouldn't say he hasn't learned some stuff from him.

They have extremely similar play styles. The thing I don't see as much in Bennet is that "killer" mentality. Bennet definitely has a ton of spark don't get me wrong, just don't know if he has that extra bit.

He definitely had the killer mentality in junior. We'll see if he transitions it to the NHL though.

Some guys drop the tough stuff at this big show if they just don't need to anymore. Have to thank Edmonton big time though. I don't think this board would be as excited about the big German as Bennett.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
He definitely had the killer mentality in junior. We'll see if he transitions it to the NHL though.

Some guys drop the tough stuff at this big show if they just don't need to anymore. Have to thank Edmonton big time though. I don't think this board would be as excited about the big German as Bennett.

Seeing him take runs at guys in the Ducks series, I don't think Bennett plans on being a perimeter player in the NHL. I feel like our fans are going to love this kid for a very long time.

saillias

Sep 6, 2004
Calgary

Hamhuis and Weber disagree. One took a crosscheck to the back of the head, and the other took a crosscheck to the face.

I actually hope he learns to clean it up a bit. He will be taking a lot of minor with his playing style

RedHot

Fire Dave Cameron (Fired)**
Aug 6, 2014
Calgary
Bennett will be fed a steady diet of McDavid for the next decade. Hope he can be the one that can get under his skin and somewhat neutralize him.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Bennett will be fed a steady diet of McDavid for the next decade. Hope he can be the one that can get under his skin and somewhat neutralize him.

Wouldn't you love to have that guy who has another teams best player's number? That'd be awesome if Oil fans cried every time they played Calgary because of the liberties Bennett took with their Saviour.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
Wouldn't you love to have that guy who has another teams best player's number? That'd be awesome if Oil fans cried every time they played Calgary because of the liberties Bennett took with their Saviour.

I'd love it if Bennett had McDavid's number, but even moreso if it was strictly a gentle limitation of scoring chances. If he kept McDavid in check without taking liberties, the tears would be so much sweeter, since they'd have nothing to fall back on as an excuse.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
All good, we have Kanzig and Smith.

But for real, those that have watched Bennett a fair bit know he's somewhat of a **** to play against. He doesn't shy away from anyone and is HIGHLY competitive. I think Monahan is more of a Kopitar in that defensively he's going to shut guys down, but Bennett is a guy that's going to come at you and wear you down physically. The combination of the two is going to be a nightmare for teams in a 7 game playoff series. :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad