Speculation: 90% of the league's cap dollars already spent and teams trying to shed salary

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Ya, but some teams have internal caps. I think the financial ramifications of fanless buildings and shortened seasons are being overlooked by many fans. Hockey TV money won't cover team expenses. Teams spending up to the cap will be losing money. Depending on widespread vaccinations to be implemented by Jan is unwise, but even if it is, it will still be a shortened season. That loses money.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Sure but it will be more absurd later once the cap space is really gone.

I'm all for it. Milk it a little longer and then gouge somebody of a cap dump for a 1st+.

We're not even through this yet. Next year is probably gonna have little to no gate revenue.

Flukeshot

Briere Activate!
Sponsor
Feb 19, 2004
Brampton, Ont
Teams with cap space can get solid depth players a few weeks from now for almost nothing.

Absolutely will be the case. Players are going to have to decide if they want to stay in the NHL for 700k or try and net more elsewhere. I would suspect many will believe it's more valuable to stay in the NHL under any circumstances so they are more likely to get paid next year.

Reactions: InfinityIggy

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
Ya, but some teams have internal caps. I think the financial ramifications of fanless buildings and shortened seasons are being overlooked by many fans. Hockey TV money won't cover team expenses. Teams spending up to the cap will be losing money. Depending on widespread vaccinations to be implemented by Jan is unwise, but even if it is, it will still be a shortened season. That loses money.

Thats why teams like Tampa and the Isles are in so much trouble right now...
We are talking about massive losses and nobody has any idea when fans will be allowed back into indoor stadiums in larger numbers....
90% of the available capspace is already spent. Thats actually more than I expected them to spend as a collective already considering that owners are bleeding money. How much more are teams allowed to spend by their owners? What about the tons of quality UFAs still out there?
Who is going to take on the type of contracts teams like Tampa and NYI really want to shed in an environment like this?

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
Keep in mind there's still 100+ million of RFA contracts still to be negotiated. The average team will probably end up with a 78-79 million cap hit this season. Barely down from last year.

DropTheGloves

Sep 18, 2020
The NHLPA should’ve pushed for compliance buyouts in Return to Play negotiations. They had to have known what the financial ramifications of COVID would be and its effects on salaries/contracts.

I bet we start to see GMs go for “unofficial” buyouts now, where they waive guys to the AHL then suspend and terminate them when they don’t report. Watch the PA then file grievances to try and recoup the money owed to a bunch of pissed off members. It could get messy fast.

Last edited:

Mick Jagr

Nice guy, tries hard, loves the game.
Jul 11, 2009
Peterborough, ONT
twitter.com
"Teams found to have violated the cap face fines of up to US$5 million, cancellation of contracts, loss of draft picks, loss of points and/or forfeiture of game(s) determined to have been affected by the violation of the cap."

Man, Tampa is not dealing from a position of power, huh?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad