[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ

F7UACZjXcAE6quX

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Expand on that, please. I wasn't around back then.

Brett Connolly had a ridiculous preseason like 10 years ago. Like what Merala did tonight, Connolly did like 2 or 3 times. He had a 30 goal season in Syracuse the year prior and he *STILL* got sent down anyway. I know he wasn't a really good player in the end but I swear to God we broke him right then and there and he was never the same again. He went back to Syracuse and either didn't have his first goal until a month in or sat at like 1 goal after that long

But hey. He got that playing time though

Last edited:
Reactions: Tampa22 and aylib

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
I said it after the prospects tournament and Merela's first game, he's too good to play in the AHL. He's NHL ready, the problem is play time. He shouldn't be on the fourth line playing 8 minutes a night. He's not good enough for top 6, and the third line is pretty jammed.

Merela - Cirelli - Motte?
Merela - Cirelli - Sheary?

ABB did not have a good showing today. But let's see him in another game. If he keeps playing the way he is, Merela is taking his spot. Groshev is higher up than ABB in my books right now.

Also want to say Lilleberg played great too.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
I said it after the prospects tournament and Merela's first game, he's too good to play in the AHL. He's NHL ready, the problem is play time. He shouldn't be on the fourth line playing 8 minutes a night. He's not good enough for top 6, and the third line is pretty jammed.

Merela - Cirelli - Motte?
Merela - Cirelli - Sheary?

ABB did not have a good showing today. But let's see him in another game. If he keeps playing the way he is, Merela is taking his spot. Groshev is higher up than ABB in my books right now.

Also want to say Lilleberg played great too.

I hate to say it but almost everyone who has ever had that problem ends up in Syracuse unless they wake up one day and realize they're a 20 goal scorer. I'd love him to make the team but it's the last thing I'm expecting

aylib

Mods are lame
Mar 26, 2002
St. Pete, FL
Curious where Paul is projected to start and what version of him we are going to get; if it's the after-Xmas one, then he has no business being anywhere other than 4th line. In that event I'd say there is a spot to be had in the middle six.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
Coop on Merela tonight:

"It's different when you have these guys that come in that you've never really seen before. So, a little bit of tape of playing in Finland, but it doesn't really do justice until you get them under our roof. But he's gotten better as he's gone on. Playing on different size ice rinks, and different leagues, it's different. So you just have to let these kids get use to it, whether you're coming from junior, coming from Europe, you have to get accustom to the style of play and how things go down here. I think he's improved with every practice , every game, and I think he got rewarded tonight for some of the hard work of the past week and a half."
"I think that bodes well for him (being an older guy). Naturally everyone's looking for prospects, and the draft kind of gives you that, but a lot of those guys are gone early in the draft, and where we've drafted in the past how many years, it hasn't been too high. So you're looking for these diamonds in the rough and guys that can help you, and sometimes those guys are older. We're hoping Merela is one of these guys, whether he's with us or is in the minors, he's a prospect. He's just an older prospect. But has he hit the prime of his career? Not even close. I still think his trajectory is pointing up and he's a long way from his ceiling."

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad