PGT: 9/22 Russia vs Finland - Russia advances with a 3-0 victory over Finland.

General Zodd

May 6, 2013
Toronto
For it to be a proper tournament it also have to be zero NHL influence so the NA-teams do not get any benifit

So whose influence should we have then? Hmmmm... European or Russian rules? How does that make it legitimate?

The game was invented on this side of the pond. Our rules! :D

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
So whose influence should we have then? Hmmmm... European or Russian rules? How does that make it legitimate?

:yo:

The game is better on NA ice. I think many Europeans agree, I asked this questioned and every response preferred the faster and more physical pace of the smaller ice.

Karma_

Mar 12, 2004

The user you are quoting said nothing about rules.
NHL is a private enterprise, that acts on the benefit of NHL, not hockey as sport in general, and can not be trusted to be an impartial organizer, the gimmick teams being an excellent example of a feature that exists for the sake of marketing NHL first and foremost, at the expense of hockey.

Gh24

Feb 12, 2014
I'm not sure I'm following you guys blaming the couching. Sure, I don't get him stubbornly keeping Vatanen in 1st PP unit dishing those bad passes to Laine, but we generated chances. It's not his fault our players just can't find the back of the net.

Could you enlighten me what - coaching wise - was so poor? I unfortunately missed the NA-match, but Russia and Sweden both held their blue line very well. Russia surprisingly well tbh.

When the difference in individual skill level is so huge, everyone has to perform at the top level. Russia's first two goals started with bad plays by our 3rd pair and the guys we relied on scoring didn't score.

RUS - FIN
SOG: 22 -21
Blk: 18 -16
Hits: 25 - 22
FOW: 23 -29

And in my opinion, those stats describes the overall game. Goals scored 3 - 0, thought, describes the ability to finish just as accurately.

ulvvf

May 9, 2014

A neutral international organisation off course like it is in pretty much all other sports in the world. So IIHF but in a world where NHL have no more influence than other organisations have, because now NHL still have to much influence even when it is on paper hold by other organisations, like in olympics, Last olympics was basically a canada cup with NHL refs etc.

At least we have to move away from having biased NHL refs for it to be even remotly a serious tournament, that is far worse than the all star teams. It is sad that many fans seems to be more and more ok with this cheating, it has become a natrual part of the sport.

Who cares where a "game is invented", football was invented in china with very different rules from now. It is not relevant, one country should not dictated what rules the game should be play under, one country should always adapt under international rules. NHL and canada words should not be heavier than organisations from france or latvia. If one country rules it all, then the sports becomes corrupt. But you do not seem to have anything against corruption and cheating, as along as you get your popcorn entertaiment and see canada win.

Bear12Good

Dec 7, 2015
Russia
Telegin is the player that every NHL team should want to have. What heart. I think him playing with so much heart is giving other players a good example how everybody else need to play.

Telegin is the Russian "Clutterbuck"
fetch

Last edited:

Gh24

Feb 12, 2014
This is basically it. Stubborn and lacking creativity to change lines even more to get the offence going on. Having Laine-Barkov-Vatanen on the ice at the same time generated very little of anything, you will shake things up rather than being afraid of reactions to that. Scratching Haula was a mystery as well. Few experts pointed out a few gamewise problems in some situations that were tactical mistakes. I think he can do much better though and it's a tough situation to come to a tourney like this with a team in transition. But he could've done much better. This team lacked spark.

Thank you. He indeed should have reduced Laine's icetime after all those turnovers and separate him and Vatanen from 1st PP unit. Whether that was lack of creativity, lack of guts and/or stubborness, it killed some of our offensive efforts and possibly thereby momentum, energy and all that crap.

Giving Aho and Teravainen more responsibilities and a chance in top lines on the other hand were good moves. Aho was our better forwards against SWE and RUS.

I don't think we really underachieved besides scoring. We got pretty much what we could expect from that roster (Weak D, lack of scoring). In that light, the big audience seems to be too critical on coaching.

I'm willing to give him another chance to see if he's capable of learning from his mistakes, because the overall game didn't look as bad as the results may suggest.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
Oh we'll remind them. Lol

Almost nobody cares. The tournament has nowhere near the same prestige as Olympic Games over here. In fact, the world championship tournament is more highly touted by average fan. The marke4ing just didn't go through here. Sad, cause the team NA was amazing to watch. Easily the most exciting team I've seen in years.

The end of their last game now looks bad. Can't believe the players did not know the outcome and the coach didn't try to push for the win.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
I really don't understand why NT won't hire Jukka Jalonen again. Is he too expensive or what? The guy is a great coach and even if I like Marjamaki (or at least used to like) he's not on the same level as Jalonen when it comes to coaching tournaments.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Almost nobody cares. The tournament has nowhere near the same prestige as Olympic Games over here. In fact, the world championship tournament is more highly touted by average fan. The marke4ing just didn't go through here.

That typo is hilarious in the context. Viasat was probably expecting to sell their package at this point to the suddenly hockey-feverous audience who wish to see the important games before the next-day afternoon free-to-view re-broadcasts, but it went like this now this time.

It's a bit sad because their way of doing it up to this point was a lot less annoying than what MTV does with their WHC rights with the non-stop stupidity, pomp and the marked annoy-selling of their paychannels every time they cut to commercials on the free-to-view.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
I really don't understand why NT won't hire Jukka Jalonen again. Is he too expensive or what? The guy is a great coach and even if I like Marjamaki (or at least used to like) he's not on the same level as Jalonen when it comes to coaching tournaments.

He's more interested in club coaching now.

Slimmy

Jan 3, 2009
GBG
:yo:

The game is better on NA ice. I think many Europeans agree, I asked this questioned and every response preferred the faster and more physical pace of the smaller ice.

Well, the responses were on a thread regarding the World Cup. Big surprise they prefer NHL rules and ice.

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
Telegin is the player that every NHL team should want to have. What heart. I think him playing with so much heart is giving other players a good example how everybody else need to play.

He use to be up there in Jets top prospect.
I hope Jets can package his right for a pick, I don't see him coming back to the Jets.

Redline

Feb 26, 2003
boardroom
Visit site
Finland just doesn't have it, no D, no Offence.

That was unbelievable.
I remember back in the 70's and 80's where Finland wasn't blessed with tremendous offense but would still get pucks across the line through sheer determination.

This tournament is one they'll want to forget, but shouldn't.

BL92

Double Gold
May 22, 2016
Finland
Or Erkka? There was some guy here last spring who **** on Erkka, J. Jalonen and K. Jalonen, like is there a better alternative? I think we should see how Marjamäki does in the next WC and give him the boot if the tournament doesn't go well or he doesn't fix his mistakes.

Lataba76

Sep 6, 2015
Weird feeling!

For me is it the first time since 22 Years(Since that time i m a hockey-fan) that Finland don t manage the Group-Stage.
This i m not accustomed!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad