PGT: 9/18/16 - Sweden vs Russia - Sweden 2 Russia 1 F

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
I like both. For different reasons.
Same here, small ice for the intensity, big ice for the crisp passing and puck movement. It gives players extra room.

Games can be boring on both sizes. On the big ice when they just clog the slot, the small ice can look like ferraris trying to race in a bath tub and no one has time to do anything creative. Then the game ends with some garbage goal.

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
A majority of all NHL fans in Sweden prefers hockey on NHL sized rinks, that's for sure. The SHL purists and the older generation probably don't though.

Good pace.

What do you European fans think about games on the smaller ice? Personally I enjoy the faster pace and increased physicality.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Same here, small ice for the intensity, big ice for the crisp passing and puck movement. It gives players extra room.

Games can be boring on both sizes. On the big ice when they just clog the slot, the small ice can look like ferraris trying to race in a bath tub and no one has time to do anything creative. Then the game ends with some garbage goal.

On the bigger ice, PP time matters much more too. The blue lines are much closer to the nets than on NA ice.

The distance from blue line to goal line is 57 feet on European ice. North American ice it's 64 feet. Those 7 feet make a huge difference on the PP, along with the increase width of the ice. A game could be more likely decided by a PP than on NA ice.

Nordic*

Oct 12, 2006
Tellus
Btw. "Hammer" Hjalmarsson's stick work is fun to watch. And than he has Hedman as his partner. Both more or less flawless today. L Eriksson not as noticable today as in previous games though.

OEL is Hjalmarsson's partner, Strålman is Hedman's. :)

BonAppleTea

May 16, 2013
I can't help blaming the Sedins for the two less than brilliant power plays. They just kept on circling behind the net without actually moving the darn puck and russian defenders. We have the best offensive D-men in the world waiting at the blue line, get the puck up there instead of spinning around for 45 seconds.

But Hedman keeps on showing why he is the rock we should play around, brilliant plays in every place of the ice.
I think this tourney will be good for him, maybe he will be able to keep up a nice, consistent performance all the way to christmas break.

Funny how I sat in the couch doubting our defense out of old habit the whole first period, before I realized how good it really is these days.

oilerbear

Jun 2, 2008
Yes.

I agree with the call on the ice, but I think it's possible that it hit Ovi's stick.

There is a clear view of separation between stralman's and ovechkin's stick.

off the glove you can see a slow flipping of the puck.

in the video you see the flipping of the puck become much faster after passing ovecnkins stick, but before passing stralman's stick.

Any person with grade 5 science knows it had to hit ovechkins stick to get the increased rotation.

Last edited:

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
Whether the puck did or did not touch Ovechkin's stick, it was a pathetic effort by Russia, and Sweden definitely deserved to win. They can't wait until the last 2 minutes of a game, down by 2 goals, to start attacking the net. It has to be attacked throughout the game, and Russia failed to sell out and make the effort to win.

For the rest of the tournament, every game is an elimination game. They will probably be tired tomorrow against the Young Guns, who will no doubt smell blood. If they lose tomorrow, it will be the worst failure since Soviet times.

Gsus

MVP
Feb 20, 2014
Pori, Finland
What Finnish announcers were surprised about was how passive Russian forwards were. Ovy for example took a couple of shifts where he just went to stand on the blueline and hoped to deflect a puck coming from a Dman. Russia wasn't very straight forward, not sure if that will be the case the whole tournament. Against worse D core they could do damage but other than that, their game just wasn't working at all.

I'm starting to like Finland's chances against them, even tho Finland has been a pain in the ass for Russia lately.

Prntscrn

Sep 29, 2011
Sweden
There is a clear view of separation between stralman's and ovechkin's stick.

off the glove you can see a slow flipping of the puck.

in the video you see the flipping of the puck become much faster after passing ovecnkins stick, but before passing stralman's stick.

Any person with grade 5 science knows it had to hit ovechkins stick to get the increased rotation.

According to media here in Sweden Ovechkin thought it was a touch on Strålmans stick.

"Förbundskapten Znarok är dock inne på ett annat spår.

– Ovetjkin hävdar att pucken tar pÃ¥ StrÃ¥lmans klubba. Är det sÃ¥ kommer vi att ta upp det i efterhand, säger han."

google translate:
"" Coach Znarok However, inside of another track .

- Ovechkin claims that the puck takes on Strålmans club . Is it that we will take it up in retrospect , he says. "
http://www.aftonbladet.se/sportbladet/hockey/landslag/worldcup/article23548864.ab

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
That ovi last second goal was as inconclusive as they come. As soon as the ref said no goal, i knew it wasn't going to count.

Now if the call on the ice was a goal, then it would remain a goal being that the call would be to inconclusive to waive the goal off.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
I can't help blaming the Sedins for the two less than brilliant power plays. They just kept on circling behind the net without actually moving the darn puck and russian defenders. We have the best offensive D-men in the world waiting at the blue line, get the puck up there instead of spinning around for 45 seconds.

But Hedman keeps on showing why he is the rock we should play around, brilliant plays in every place of the ice.
I think this tourney will be good for him, maybe he will be able to keep up a nice, consistent performance all the way to christmas break.

Funny how I sat in the couch doubting our defense out of old habit the whole first period, before I realized how good it really is these days.

I don't know. Hedman is good at everything, but what is he great at?

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
I have to say that it has been very freeing for me to abandon all expectations of success for team Russia.

I no longer feel any pain or frustration. I just know that they will lose. When the goal was called off I simply shrugged it off.

They are not winning anything with this blueline. When Provorov and Sergachev are older, maybe they will. Until then I refuse to get wrapped up in this.

Your old Jofa helmet

Oct 2, 2006
Toronto
Was at the game today and sat behind Swedish goal for two period. Wow I am impressed with their defense. They were always in control of the game and frankly they should have scored more. Ovechkin's goal was basically a fluke in an almost perfect defensive game.

Loved Karlsson today. Very calm and always dangerous. Played the body when needed, Forsberg had a very good game. Feels like they Sweden can be even better, they need to finish their chances. But anyway it was a very easy game for them.

Six Assets

Tim Stützle
Jun 29, 2013
Ottawa
Karlsson was very good, after Hedman he was the best defenseman this game. He could be utilized better on the PP though, didn't get too many feeds as the plan seemed to be passing into the slot.

Whenever the Sedins were on the PP, that's all they wanted to do. They were forcing it into the slot.

That might be what you have to do in Vancouver, but here you have world class defensemen (Karlsson, OEL, Hedman). Use them.

ulvvf

May 9, 2014
Markström was great untill the last minut, where he almost cost us the game. Sweden was the best team on the ice and it was overall a good preformance, much better than in the practice games for sure, but in the end it was closer then it should have been.

I do not really get people like södergren, that want to bench ovechkin? Even if he wouldnt have scored and almost turn the whole game around, it is still those players you want out there when you are under 0-2 in importent games. Maybe change lines or tactics sure, but you do not bench the best goalscorer in the world when you desperatly need goals in a importent game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad