PGT: 9/18/16 - Sweden vs Russia - Sweden 2 Russia 1 F

ulvvf

May 9, 2014
It's very ironic how the Swedish media would bash Ovechkin, but he is exactly the type of forward that Team Sweden needs to compete against Canada and USA. Ovechkin would also be the top forward for Sweden, and I'm sure the Swedish media is aware of how much better Bäckström becomes when he is paired with Ovechkin.

I agree about most of your post, but this is pretty far from the truth, if anything Ovechkin becomes better playing with Bäckström. Bäckström have always been good in the national shirt without Ovechkin, while Ovechkins preformance there have gone up and down a lot.

Chileiceman

Dec 14, 2004
Toronto
I was at the game yesterday. Thoughts:

-Sweden's defense was simply impeccable. They absolutely stifled the Russians in the neutral zone. Russia was getting frustrated.
-Malkin and Datsyuk were terrible. I have no idea what Ivan Telegin is doing on that team. He just brings down Kuznetsov.
-Rolling 4 lines is stupid when you are losing and you need to score. Russia ALWAYS does this, and I don't understand.
-Panarin came to play, but he is far superior to his former SKA linemates, both who were brutal, especially Shipachyov.
-Sedins were wroking their magic. First time seeing them live. They are special, and seemed to have good chemistry with Eriksson.
-The Landeskog-Soderberg combination was a nightmare for the Russian D. They could not handle them down low. That Landeskog shot was wicked. We don't see that enough with the Avs.
-Fun atmosphere at the ACC. A lot more Swedish fans than I would have expected. I knew there would be lots of Russians, because there are many Russian immigrants in this area. Swedes not so much.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
I agree about most of your post, but this is pretty far from the truth, if anything Ovechkin becomes better playing with Bäckström. Bäckström have always been good in the national shirt without Ovechkin, while Ovechkins preformance there have gone up and down a lot.

I know Bäckström without Ovechkin on the Capitals becomes a lot less dangerous offensively. He needs a gunner next to him to maximise his production.

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
I was at the game yesterday. Thoughts:

-Sweden's defense was simply impeccable. They absolutely stifled the Russians in the neutral zone. Russia was getting frustrated.
-Malkin and Datsyuk were terrible. I have no idea what Ivan Telegin is doing on that team. He just brings down Kuznetsov.
-Rolling 4 lines is stupid when you are losing and you need to score. Russia ALWAYS does this, and I don't understand.
-Panarin came to play, but he is far superior to his former SKA linemates, both who were brutal, especially Shipachyov.
-Sedins were wroking their magic. First time seeing them live. They are special, and seemed to have good chemistry with Eriksson.
-The Landeskog-Soderberg combination was a nightmare for the Russian D. They could not handle them down low. That Landeskog shot was wicked. We don't see that enough with the Avs.
-Fun atmosphere at the ACC. A lot more Swedish fans than I would have expected. I knew there would be lots of Russians, because there are many Russian immigrants in this area. Swedes not so much.

Agree that Malkin and Datsyuk were non-factors, disagree that Telegin should be replaced. Telegin is the only one who is fighting for pucks and creating turnovers in the offensive zone. Kuznetsov will be a non-factor regardless of who he is paired with. He won't fight for the puck or stick his nose in front of the crease. He is a pretty boy who skates fancy patterns way out on the periphery, where he is harmless,

Panarin is more talented than his linemates, but that line is the only one that is creating any puck possession down low. They are the only line that has looked dangerous. And Shipachyov is as talented as any forward except Malkin, Datsyuk, Ovechkin and Tarasenko. For better or worse, its the best we have. As a team, they look completely disinterested, as if they can't wait to get the tournament over (I don't blame them for that). It is likely that it will be over for them after the Finland game.

ulvvf

May 9, 2014
I know Bäckström without Ovechkin on the Capitals becomes a lot less dangerous offensively. He needs a gunner next to him to maximise his production.

So why do Bäckstrom produce like superstar in the national shirt without Ovechkin, while Ovechkin have many up and downs there then? Bäckström is so underrated, probably the best playmaker in the world in PP, maybe not in 5v5, since he do not have the speed for it, but in PP, I can not see any better playmaker.

Bäckström do not become much lesser dangerours without Ovechkin in caps either, and that team is build to maximize Ovechkin. Ovechkin is great but do not make it sound like Bäckström needs him to produce. I almost wish that he would be traded to a different team so this bs could stop. But that will not happen, untill maybe he is old and on decline.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Agree that Malkin and Datsyuk were non-factors, disagree that Telegin should be replaced. Telegin is the only one who is fighting for pucks and creating turnovers in the offensive zone. Kuznetsov will be a non-factor regardless of who he is paired with. He won't fight for the puck or stick his nose in front of the crease. He is a pretty boy who skates fancy patterns way out on the periphery, where he is harmless,

Panarin is more talented than his linemates, but that line is the only one that is creating any puck possession down low. They are the only line that has looked dangerous. And Shipachyov is as talented as any forward except Malkin, Datsyuk, Ovechkin and Tarasenko. For better or worse, its the best we have. As a team, they look completely disinterested, as if they can't wait to get the tournament over (I don't blame them for that). It is likely that it will be over for them after the Finland game.

Or he throws a gorgeous pass right in front of the net that Telegin will inevitably put anywhere but in the net. Telegin is a grinder, but he cannot score against a team like Sweden or Canada. He's not good enough to be playing in these games, while Kuznetsov creates a lot of scoring chances.

So why do Bäckstrom produce like superstar in the national shirt without Ovechkin, while Ovechkin have many up and downs there then? Bäckström is so underrated, probably the best playmaker in the world in PP, maybe not in 5v5, since he do not have the speed for it, but in PP, I can not see any better playmaker.

Bäckström do not become much lesser dangerours without Ovechkin in caps either, and that team is build to maximize Ovechkin. Ovechkin is great but do not make it sound like Bäckström needs him to produce. I almost wish that he would be traded to a different team so this bs could stop. But that will not happen, untill maybe he is old and on decline.

I didn't say Bäckström needed Ovechkin to produce. I just said that his production took a hit when Ovechkin isn't there. Look at the Caps when Ovechkin misses a game, they get demolished 5-0 or 5-2. The Caps rely far too much on Ovechkin in the playoffs, and when the opposition manages to keep him in check, Bäckström comes out of the equation as well. Yes, he is the best playmaker in the world on the PP, but his ES production is mostly assisting Ovechkin's goals. The Capitals PP runs just as well with Kuznetsov instead of Bäckström, because the trigger man on the left side is the same.

Namba 17

May 9, 2011
Watched the game.
I think, I'm the only person on the Earth, who thinks that Russia had good game:)
Yes, Sweden won, but they have great team. I didn't see lack of effort or lack of interest on our team.
Malkin was the worst forward and had the worst game in national team as far as I can remember. Shipachev and Dadonov both are not good enough to play on this level, but efforts are there. Dats is past his prime, but I can't blame him, he just didn't pull out some magic to save us - he had decent game overall.
Znarok is an average coach, and proved it once again.
Our team played on the level our hockey is on now.
We faced system crisis and don't know how to deal with it.
Could we win? I think, we could. Were we much worse than Sweden? I don't think so.
We lost. It happened.
GG Sweden and let's go on :)

Tomas W

Oct 23, 2007
Sweden
Watched the game.
I think, I'm the only person on the Earth, who thinks that Russia had good game:)
Yes, Sweden won, but they have great team. I didn't see lack of effort or lack of interest on our team.
Malkin was the worst forward and had the worst game in national team as far as I can remember. Shipachev and Dadonov both are not good enough to play on this level, but efforts are there. Dats is past his prime, but I can't blame him, he just didn't pull out some magic to save us - he had decent game overall.
Znarok is an average coach, and proved it once again.
Our team played on the level our hockey is on now.
We faced system crisis and don't know how to deal with it.
Could we win? I think, we could. Were we much worse than Sweden? I don't think so.
We lost. It happened.
GG Sweden and let's go on :)

:) Nice with a positive post. Its easy to react with a loss with 1) Disappointment of the your own team or 2) blaming the refs

It was Sweden turn to win a championship game against Russia, since the last time was 2004.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
I didn't say Bäckström needed Ovechkin to produce. I just said that his production took a hit when Ovechkin isn't there. Look at the Caps when Ovechkin misses a game, they get demolished 5-0 or 5-2. The Caps rely far too much on Ovechkin in the playoffs, and when the opposition manages to keep him in check, Bäckström comes out of the equation as well. Yes, he is the best playmaker in the world on the PP, but his ES production is mostly assisting Ovechkin's goals. The Capitals PP runs just as well with Kuznetsov instead of Bäckström, because the trigger man on the left side is the same.

What are you talking about? Are you seriously using a sample size of 2 games THIS year? Caps have a history of doing well even when Ovechkin is out of the lineup when he's suspended or injured.

lol no it doesn't the caps PP is far more dangerous with Backstrom instead of Kuznetsov.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
What are you talking about? Are you seriously using a sample size of 2 games THIS year? Caps have a history of doing well even when Ovechkin is out of the lineup when he's suspended or injured.

lol no it doesn't the caps PP is far more dangerous with Backstrom instead of Kuznetsov.

No, it's a general observation. Backstrom's production takes a hit when he is separated from Ovechkin, which is one of the reasons why he returned to the top line shortly after coming back from his injury. Kuznetsov is a more dynamic point producer and playmaker, he is also more willing to take shots himself on the PP. Backstrom is on the first unit because he wins face-offs and he plays in a more systematic way.

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
Or he throws a gorgeous pass right in front of the net that Telegin will inevitably put anywhere but in the net. Telegin is a grinder, but he cannot score against a team like Sweden or Canada. He's not good enough to be playing in these games, while Kuznetsov creates a lot of scoring chances.

I must have missed that "gorgeous pass" that you referred to. He is an amazingly talented guy, I don't argue with that, but I am realistic enough to understand that he will disappear in a tournament like this when the going gets tough or competitive. Wish I could give him more credit than that, but so far, he hasn't deserved it. In the end, even if the end comes after the Finland game, Telegin will probably have produced more scoring opportunities than Kuznetsov.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
I must have missed that "gorgeous pass" that you referred to. He is an amazingly talented guy, I don't argue with that, but I am realistic enough to understand that he will disappear in a tournament like this when the going gets tough or competitive. Wish I could give him more credit than that, but so far, he hasn't deserved it. In the end, even if the end comes after the Finland game, Telegin will probably have produced more scoring opportunities than Kuznetsov.

There you go

https://cdn-e2.streamable.com/video/mp4-mobile/ny79.mp4

It was Russia's best scoring chance until Ovechkin's goal.

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Good pace.

What do you European fans think about games on the smaller ice? Personally I enjoy the faster pace and increased physicality.

i like smaller ice more than big ice. but this game was not physical at all. only ovechkin played physical.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad