PGT: 9/18/16 North America vs Finland - North America 4 Finland 1 F

leafsfan1234

Jun 18, 2016
Very strong game by the young guns last night, I think they have a legitimate shot at winning their group. It would be something special to see them vs Canada in the finals.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
really because they beat a European team that was jetlagged had never played together before and was coming off Olympic qualifying games. lost to the Czechs and beat the worst team in the tourney and you say they already punched above their weight class. hardly. win the next 2 games then we will talk.

Sounds like you missed the game last night. That's too bad, it was really something to see. I suggest you try to watch tonight if you can. :)

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
really because they beat a European team that was jetlagged had never played together before and was coming off Olympic qualifying games. lost to the Czechs and beat the worst team in the tourney and you say they already punched above their weight class. hardly. win the next 2 games then we will talk.

These excuses are golden. You're blaming professional athletes, who fly in first class and play games regularly (and can actually sleep on the plane) for being jetlagged for 2 games? :biglaugh: Yeah, Team North America has been practising for years, not like they just started playing together at this tournament.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
These excuses are golden. You're blaming professional athletes, who fly in first class and play games regularly (and can actually sleep on the plane) for being jetlagged for 2 games? :biglaugh: Yeah, Team North America has been practising for years, not like they just started playing together at this tournament.

all the Canadians on team n.a have played together on u18 u20 and wjc. same with the American players. team europe has never played together finished Olympic qualifying then flew overseas. these were meaningless games for a veteran team to get up for but the second half of the second game and the following game they were so much better. did team n.a win. yes. who cares pre tournament then the lost to the team that got blown out by Canada. great they then beat the worst team in tournament. I'm not going to put them in the final like some people I need to see a lot more.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
all the Canadians on team n.a have played together on u18 u20 and wjc. same with the American players. team europe has never played together finished Olympic qualifying then flew overseas. these were meaningless games for a veteran team to get up for but the second half of the second game and the following game they were so much better. did team n.a win. yes. who cares pre tournament then the lost to the team that got blown out by Canada. great they then beat the worst team in tournament. I'm not going to put them in the final like some people I need to see a lot more.

you mean the game where NA let off the gas and when europe tried to actually played hockey NA just gassed them again for 3 more goals? oh yeah lol

Countryjunkie

Oct 17, 2014
Other than having a good shot, what else does Patrik Laine have to offer as a player? I honestly don't see anything special about him.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Other than having a good shot, what else does Patrik Laine have to offer as a player? I honestly don't see anything special about him.

He was probably the best player for the Finns, had a solid hit on Larkin and created some chances.

Countryjunkie

Oct 17, 2014
He was probably the best player for the Finns, had a solid hit on Larkin and created some chances.

The Finns were outplayed, so that's not saying much. But I have to disagree with your statement, Laine was hardly noticeable in last night's game so I don't see how he was the Finns best player.

Yes he made a beautiful hit on Larkin, but how far do you think Laine will get away with that in the NHL?

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Canada is probably going to win it all, but how can you not love this young guns team?

Which should be their anthem, by the way.

Maybe the NHL should restrict age to something like 25 and under, before players get stripped of their offensive brilliance for defense-first.

ijuka

May 14, 2016

Excellent hands, good vision, good speed, good physical play, excellent size.

Did you see Barkov do something special that game?

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden

His shot isn't good. It's borderline unique for a prospect. Other than that, he's got a superb sense of offensive positioning, he's a very good passer with good vision, he's got good hands and stick handling, he's smart, he can really carry the puck. He's got size, puck protection qualities and can really flatten people if he sees the opportunity. He's a very, very special prospect.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012

kid is so young... hes born in friggin 1998. Hes gonna be a superstar

crazy that people even question his game

Countryjunkie

Oct 17, 2014

Did you see Barkov do something special that game?

Like I said in my other post, great qualities to have as a player. However, what good vision are you referring to? Laine has tunnel vision for the net. Just my opinion.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
The Finns were outplayed, so that's not saying much. But I have to disagree with your statement, Laine was hardly noticeable in last night's game so I don't see how he was the Finns best player.

Yes he made a beautiful hit on Larkin, but how far do you think Laine will get away with that in the NHL?

Not being overly noticeable and contributing to a couple opportunities are why I think he was probably the best Finnish player (or amongst the best), he didn't get dominated the same way most of his teammates did. He certainly didn't play awful by any means, I liked his physical play at the end. He needs to keep bringing that.

He'll be fine. Needs to work on some elements of his game on the smaller ice, but no doubt he'll be a very good player. His shot is deadly and very accurate, physical play is part of hockey.

Plus, the Jets have Big Buff. He won't take too kindly to players trying to retaliate against Laine. What Laine needs to improve is his acceleration and edge work. He's got good top end speed, but it's getting there quick that he can improve on. If he puts in time he can improve this element.

Lots to like about his game. He's NHL ready for sure.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
I just realized McDavid and Scheifele will very likely be linemates to Jesse Puljujärvi and Patrik Laine, respectively, in very near future.

Countryjunkie

Oct 17, 2014

Not being overly noticeable and contributing to a couple opportunities are why I think he was probably the best Finnish player (or amongst the best), he didn't get dominated the same way most of his teammates did. He certainly didn't play awful by any means, I liked his physical play at the end. He needs to keep bringing that.

He'll be fine. Needs to work on some elements of his game on the smaller ice, but no doubt he'll be a very good player. His shot is deadly and very accurate, physical play is part of hockey.

Plus, the Jets have Big Buff. He won't take too kindly to players trying to retaliate against Laine. What Laine needs to improve is his acceleration and edge work. He's got good top end speed, but it's getting there quick that he can improve on. If he puts in time he can improve this element.

Lots to like about his game. He's NHL ready for sure.

I'm sure Patrik Laine will figure it out as he develops in the NHL. But I think as soon as he figures out that he doesn't always have to set up for the perfect one timer, he'll become a much better and productive player.

As for the physical play, unfortunately making a solid clean hit in the NHL is a big No No. It's absolutely ridiculous that players have to fight or have a target on their backs during the game because they made an excellent hit.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Going in to this this thing i knew Team NA would be the best skating team but skating is just one part of the game as we all know.

But it looks as if they are showing off now, did you see the look of glee on their faces when they were scoring goals?

The premise of this team was that they were gonna bulldozed and the N.H.L was going to come crawling on their hands and knees to get back to the olympics.

That was the master plan.

Now I'm worried, this might not end the way we thought it would.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
I'm sure Patrik Laine will figure it out as he develops in the NHL. But I think as soon as he figures out that he doesn't always have to set up for the perfect one timer, he'll become a much better and productive player.

As for the physical play, unfortunately making a solid clean hit in the NHL is a big No No. It's absolutely ridiculous that players have to fight or have a target on their backs during the game because they made an excellent hit.

That's like any young player, they adapt as they get more experienced with the pace of player and talent of the competition. Laine is a very good player, he'll adapt.

Yes and no regarding hits. Most often scrums happen and some grappling, but yeah sometimes fights happen. With a guy like Buff on his team I doubt too many guys will want to attack Laine knowing they'll have to deal with Buff afterwards.

scan15*

May 11, 2016
GTA

Good hands, decent vision, NHL average speed. A solid prospect, just severely over hyped.

Not even going to bother about size. How much did size help Valeri Nichushkin?

JetsWillFly4Ever

May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
Good hands, decent vision, NHL average speed. A solid prospect, just severely over hyped.

Not even going to bother about size. How much did size help Valeri Nichushkin?

lol, here we can do this for matthews too.

Good shot, decent speed, good vision. A solid prospect, just severely over hyped.

That doesn't make it true though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad