PGT: 9/14 - Exhibition: Canada 3 Russia 2 (OT)

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
I agree that he's often struggled when he's gone head-to-head with Doughty. I'm sure most elite players do. I thought you were generally claiming that he's tentative against physical defenseman which isn't true. Also, yesterday was meaningless in the grand scheme of things but they're both competitive players so they're obviously going to be somewhat physical. Regardless, basing the notion that Ovechkin is tentative on this game would be false.

I'm well aware of how Ovechkin physically targets the defenseman assigned to watch him during a game and/or playoff series. My claim was that Ovechkin often looks ineffective 5-on-5 when matched against Doughty, which he was last game.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
I'm well aware of how Ovechkin physically targets the defenseman assigned to watch him during a game and/or playoff series. My claim was that Ovechkin often looks ineffective 5-on-5 when matched against Doughty, which he was last game.

In other words, the best or second best defenseman in the game can shutdown the best goalscorer in the world for 15 minutes at 5vs5. It's not like he was shutdown by Justin Schultz or something.

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010

Hockey is a 5on5 sport, don't try and pretend that Doughty alone was shutting down Ovechkin. Especially with all the elite players on the ice.

Stamkos, Toews, Giroux and Tavares (outside of a lucky goal) have been invisible, much more so than Ovechkin

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
If/when Canada loses, all we will hear about are injuries and excuses.

Doubtful. We have enough depth for that not to be an excuse, may the best team win.

I think Canadian fans, win or lose are generally respectful after games for the most part. We stick around to the bitter end and congratulate the winner if they happen to beat us and likewise show respect to our opponent when we win.

During the GDT things obviously get super heated when the battle is on, it's part of the passion for Canadians. Hockey is our game and who we are. Cooler heads prevail after battle.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
Let me get this straight, you're claiming that he's "slowing down" based on this game alone? Ovechkin isn't 22 anymore, he's 31 years old now. His game has changed for the better. He's not going to fly down the wing and score a highlight reel goal every game. It's like some people forget that he has scored 50+ goals in each of the past 3 seasons. Surely, he had to move his feet for at least a few of them.

Me claiming something based on this game alone is solely your assumption - let's get that straight.

I was making an observation on his play this game that correlates with his play this past season. Of course, he is older, but this is Ovechkin. Considered a generational talent, used to be up there for the best player in the league. How can anyone dispute he has slowed down? He's still an elite goal scorer, but he creates very little offense outside of that. He could do anything back then, just like Crosby still can now. And you're pretending that 31 years old is the regular age when generational players and superstars decline, which is simply not the norm.

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
Me claiming something based on this game alone is solely your assumption - let's get that straight.

I was making an observation on his play this game that correlates with his play this past season. Of course, he is older, but this is Ovechkin. Considered a generational talent, used to be up there for the best player in the league. How can anyone dispute he has slowed down? He's still an elite goal scorer, but he creates very little offense outside of that. He could do anything back then, just like Crosby still can now. And you're pretending that 31 years old is the regular age when generational players and superstars decline, which is simply not the norm.

Not sure where you are getting this? Never at any time in his career has Ovechkin ever been a playmaker. He has always been a goal scorer exclusively, and there seems little doubt that he is the best goal scorer in the World. So to compare him to the same standards applied to Gretzky or Crosby is ridiculous! He is simply the unchallenged best goal scorer in the World, and nothing else.

BackToTheBasics

Dec 26, 2013

He was nominated for the Ted Lindsay Award just last season and was voted as the top forward. I'm sure most people would also agree that he was a top 5 forward this past season as well. It just seems like either you're making up a bunch of crap or his recent performance is clogging your memory.

BackToTheBasics

Dec 26, 2013
Not sure where you are getting this? Never at any time in his career has Ovechkin ever been a playmaker. He has always been a goal scorer exclusively, and there seems little doubt that he is the best goal scorer in the World. So to compare him to the same standards applied to Gretzky or Crosby is ridiculous! He is simply the unchallenged best goal scorer in the World, and nothing else.

He has always been a better goal scorer than a playmaker but this is ridiculous. Was he not a playmaker when he was putting up 40-60 assists from 2005-2011?

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
He has always been a better goal scorer than a playmaker but this is ridiculous. Was he not a playmaker when he was putting up 40-60 assists from 2005-2011?

This is kind of where I was getting at. Regardless of awards or stats, but simply his on ice play, there are a lot of things he seems unable to do anymore, and that includes creating opportunities for teammates.

In reference to your other reply, Ovechkin was just as good as Crosby in the beginning of their careers, may I remind you. Crosby wasn't the consensus best player at many times prior to 2010. Since then, Ovechkin put on a lot of pounds, and has lost a lot of his former abilities.

His shot is still there, of course.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad