PGT: 9/14 - Exhibition: Canada 3 Russia 2 (OT)

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
DngYtHM.jpg

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
It was an exhibition game. Just needed to state that since people seem to forget

Scotty B

Jan 1, 2014
It was a fun game. Let's see what happens when the tournament starts.

After Russia took the lead they really upped their game and carried play for a few shifts ...got a couple good chances and seemed to get a confidence boost

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Fun game. Lots of exciting moments, that was good hockey and could have went either way at the end. See you again Russian fans, another good Canadian v Russian game.

Hopefully we meet for the Cup :yo:

Halakitlikethat

Oct 10, 2013
British Columbia
Missed the game and forgot to PVR it the habs board is just toxic right now, would somebody be able to give me an objective rundown on how Weber / Price played tonight?

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
I think the USA will have an easier time with Russia, Canada seems to be a bit soft. I'd be concerned if I was a Canadian fan but thankfully I'm not. :)

Canada is so soft that a few of their skill players made the pretend tough guy Kesler disappear after following through on a few hits.

Daniels45

May 8, 2013
Missed the game and forgot to PVR it the habs board is just toxic right now, would somebody be able to give me an objective rundown on how Weber / Price played tonight?

Weber was again one of the most played tonight and Price kept the team in the game. He didnt give any bad goals and seemed much more in control tonight even though he didnt get a huge ammount of shots, he still had to go through 8 or 9 Russian PPs which is never easy cause a goalie tends to move a lot more during these scenarios. I think Price at this point is at 80%

Halakitlikethat

Oct 10, 2013
British Columbia
Weber was again one of the most played tonight and Price kept the team in the game. He didnt give any bad goals and seemed much more in control tonight even though he didnt get a huge ammount of shots, he still had to go through 8 or 9 Russian PPs which is never easy cause yopu tend to move a lot more.
thank you I appreciate it. Really great to have Carey back in the net. He was rusty on Friday night but I think he just needed to get that one over with.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
thank you I appreciate it. Really great to have Carey back in the net. He was rusty on Friday night but I think he just needed to get that one over with.

He came up big with some clutch saves, I mean when you give a team with the players Russia has 7 PPs, they're bound to get one eventually. Price is a big reason they went 1/7 on the PP.

Price and Bobrovsky were both outstanding.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
Definitely not the same Team Canada that dominated in Sochi. Yes I know it's just an exhibition game.

I think that they're having a somewhat similar problem to what they had in 2006 where they basically tried taking the same team from 2004 or at least a conservative team but some guys were a bit past their peak especially on the back end. Duncan Keith is injured but asides from that, well everyone knows the story by now, doesn't help that Seguin is out as well.

Team doesn't seem to have the same speed and Babcock runs a very tight ship defensively which is nice but it's almost to their detriment. They're capable of blowing out a team based on talent but you wonder if they'll ever actually do it. I expect their games in this tourney to be generally close even if they outplay their opponents but a bit more bad luck and they could've lost the same game they won tonight in OT.

Hope Toews and Stamkos are just saving something in their tank for the actual tourney because if this is their best here then not good enough.

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
First period was totally horrendous. It was a miracle we were losing only 1-0. If someone told me after the first period that this game would go to OT, I'd laugh.

Third period was good. Obviously we were lucky to get 3 PP in a row and tied the game, then after we took the lead we controlled the game for a while.

The OT, anyone could have won.

Bob was great this game.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Canada better step it up, their play is definitely showing shades of 06. They don't look fast and are taking lazy penalties. Backend has been nowhere as dynamic as they should be, forward group is talented but there seems to be a lack of chemistry.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
First period was totally horrendous. It was a miracle we were losing only 1-0. If someone told me after the first period that this game would go to OT, I'd laugh.

Third period was good. Obviously we were lucky to get 3 PP in a row and tied the game, then after we took the lead we controlled the game for a while.

The OT, anyone could have won.

Bob was great this game.

Very much deserved first star.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Canada better step it up, their play is definitely showing shades of 06. They don't look fast and are taking lazy penalties. Backend has been nowhere as dynamic as they should be, forward group is talented but there seems to be a lack of chemistry.

Lack of speed is the first thing that I noticed tonight. Canada seems to have picked quite a few slow-skating players.

The defense is a bit of a mess, especially with Keith out. The transition game could actually use a guy like Letang or Subban out there.

Only one line seems to have consistent chemistry, the Crosby/Bergeron/Marchand line. The other lines have spurts here and there of looking dangerous, but as a whole don't seem to mesh well so far.

Stamkos doesn't look dangerous so far, and Toews has been a ghost. Hopefully it's just because it's exhibition.

Stubu

Dec 16, 2015
F.
Weber was again one of the most played tonight and Price kept the team in the game. He didnt give any bad goals and seemed much more in control tonight even though he didnt get a huge ammount of shots, he still had to go through 8 or 9 Russian PPs which is never easy cause a goalie tends to move a lot more during these scenarios. I think Price at this point is at 80%

Russia had 7 PPs but otherwise agree. (Canada had 4 which kind of doesn't support the notion of ref bias that someone of course had to bring up in the GDT. There were a few questionable calls and noncalls like always in a sport like hockey. Tough cookie.)

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
Not very impressed by Russia. They are too deliberate. And they can't be on this surface.

Can't win pretty. Won't work here. Doesn't work anymore in general.

Novak Djokovic

#24 and counting... #GOAT
Dec 10, 2006
Stamkos/Toews/Giroux have been invisible. I also agree with lack of speed. Letang on the backend and Hall up front would be two additions. Can't do anything about Keith/Seguin/Benn... As for defense, I agree. It's definitely not Olympics 2014 level. Weber looks sloooow. But then again, remember how Canada started the Olympics? It wasn't pretty.

Doughty-Vlasic
Pietrangelo-Bouwmeester
Weber-Letang

This is how the defense should have been in the tournament with Keith injured having one really, really mobile D on each pair. Instead, the pairings are all mixed up.

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006
Joe doesn't belong. What a dumb decision to have him play. Burns leaves a lot to be desired too with his pizzas right up the middle. That said, outside of 5 or so minutes, Canada really dominated.

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
Wow I had to look at the boxscore to find out burns had 2 assists. Literally zero mention of him by the wannabe cognoscenti.

Not even a mention of his pass to spring getzlaf. :shakehead

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006
Wow I had to look at the boxscore to find out burns had 2 assists. Literally zero mention of him by the wannabe cognoscenti.

Not even a mention of his pass to spring getzlaf. :shakehead

He plays a risky game. You of all people should know that, so get over it...and he came out on the right side tonight in the "boxscore."

Should we all envy him because of that, or should we be concerned that he likes to throw pizzas right up the middle coming up out of his zone? It's a short tournament. Please forgive us for not falling in love with his ****** zone exits.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad