'88s at U18 WJC

Status
Not open for further replies.

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
Since a lot of people got to see these games I'm curious how the '88 born underagers stacked up against each other at the tournament. Here's a list by team (not including the lower tier teams)...

Czech Republic
F David Kveton 7GP-4G-2A-6P
F Michael Frolik 7GP-3G-1A-4P
F Jiri Tlusty 7GP-3G-0A-3P

Finland
F Max Warn 6GP-1G-1A-2P
F Jonas Kemppainen 6GP-0G-0A-0P
F Robert Nyholm 4GP-0G-0A-0P

Russia
GK Semen Varlamov 180MP-3.34GAA-90.38S%

Slovakia
F Tomas Marcinko 6GP-1G-0A-1P
D Marek Biro 6GP-0G-0A-0P

Sweden
D Niclas Andersen 7GP-0G-0A-0P
GK Jonas Enroth 141MP-1.70GAA-94.20S%

USA
F Peter Mueller 6GP-4G-3A-7P
D Erik Johnson 6GP-0G-0A-0P

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Mueller played well for the United States, although he was a bit reckless at times. I'll be interested to see what his development path is the next couple of years (Minnesota? WHL?). I don't know if he'll be as good as Kessel, but with his frame, you never know.

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
I'm really curious to hear how Mueller compares to Frolik. I'm also curious to hear anything about Kveton.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
cagney said:
I'm really curious to hear how Mueller compares to Frolik.

Mueller and Frolik are probably closer in style than Frolik and Kessel, so it's an interesting comparison. I think Mueller's a bit under the radar around here, so his performance in this tourney might have opened a few eyes. Frolik played well, but not quite as well as Mueller.

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
Rabid Ranger said:
Mueller and Frolik are probably closer in style than Frolik and Kessel, so it's an interesting comparison. I think Mueller's a bit under the radar around here, so his performance in this tourney might have opened a few eyes. Frolik played well, but not quite as well as Mueller.

Kveton outscores Frolik, perhaps he's a prospect to look out for? Big kid at 6'2 already.

Blue Bullet

Feb 27, 2002
Bon Accord, AB
Visit site
HabLover said:
Kveton outscores Frolik, perhaps he's a prospect to look out for? Big kid at 6'2 already.

I don't think Kveton is 6'2. ISS has him listed at 5'10 in this month's rankings for the 2006 draft and www.hokej.cz has him at 172 cm which is 5'8. He's more likely the 5'10 ISS has him listed at unless he had some crazy growth spurt.

He plays for Vsetin junior team and was 6th in scoring in the league. The Czech have two junior leagues and Vsetin plays in the B side while Frolik plays for Kladno which plays on the A side. (I'm not sure exactly how it works and if their is any cross play between the leagues).

Spectacular_Bid

Mar 22, 2004
How was Erik Johnson for the US? Didn't produce offensively but I was wondering how he stacked up? Zach Jones played up with the U-18's last year and was named the tournaments top d-man.

bigd

Jul 27, 2003
Spectacular_Bid said:
How was Erik Johnson for the US? Didn't produce offensively but I was wondering how he stacked up? Zach Jones played up with the U-18's last year and was named the tournaments top d-man.
I don't think Erick Johnson saw much ice time. I think him and Palmer were brought along spares in case Frazee ar any of the D-men got hurt. 5 or 6 players were brought up last year because the 86 team needed help. This years team was stacked and Erick was at the bottom of the D-men dept chart but just the experience of going through it already will help them next year!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad