Prospect Info: #88 Keith Petruzzelli - signs with marlies

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
Anectdotal... but true story.

My college goalie was drafted in the 9th round, and I asked him about it because we were drinking with my next door neighbors who were both on the team. He said he got a call from the team after the draft then never heard from them again, lol. He went on to play 1 NHL game for a different team after spending some time in the IHL. (I just looked it up, didn't even know he got to play.)

Granted that the draft is shorter now, but I don't think the team spends a lot of resources on late round picks unless they show at least some NHL potential. I guess the Wings determined that Keith falls under that category. A bit odd considering they gave Brattstrom and Larsson max signing bonus for each year of their contracts.

I suppose it's possible the Wings took a wait and see approach with KP and didn't do a whole lot with him. FWIW, I found this article on the Wings site from May of last year that discusses Petruzelli and shed's some light on his development: By The Numbers Prospects: Keith Petruzzelli

Here's a couple snippets:

In the fall of 2017, Petruzzelli began his collegiate career at Quinnipiac with high expectations that he would be in the thick of the competition to win the starting job as the Bobcats No. 1 goalie.

However, the task of balancing academics and athletics proved to be difficult for Petruzzelli, who did not excel on the ice or in the classroom.

He persevered, but there was concern among officials at Quinnipiac and Detroit's brass that Petruzzelli might lack the discipline to reach his unlimited potential.

"Keith had a really good bounce-back year this year, good for him. I think for Keith, when we drafted him, we had a really physically and mentally immature player. He had no idea what it took to be a pro, he had no idea what eating habits, workout habits, sleeping habits (he needed). There was a lot for him to work on and to his credit, he's starting to figure that out and he's starting to put the time in and he's starting to mature and he's starting to do the necessary things it takes to become a solid goaltender. He's getting results because of it. Kudos to him for being able to do that. Obviously this is just the start, there's a long ways for him to go but he's moving in the right direction." - Shawn Horcoff, Red Wings director of player development and assistant director of player personnel

Not sure if that work toward him now having an idea on how to be a pro involved the Wings or if was on his own accord. One thing that does stick out is Horcoff mentioning that he thought Keith was "really mentally immature". I could just be reading to much into it, but Horcoff's overall tone seems to convey something like "Keith's now getting results because he finally started listening to us" or something like that.

I figured that maybe they'd been giving him stuff to do in the offseason as far as training or what he needed to work on, or like what they had last reported on JVP where Bryan Mahoney-Wilson had flown to Switzerland to watch him play and give him pointers on what he needed to work on or change before he eventually came to NA.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I suppose it's possible the Wings took a wait and see approach with KP and didn't do a whole lot with him. FWIW, I found this article on the Wings site from May of last year that discusses Petruzelli and shed's some light on his development: By The Numbers Prospects: Keith Petruzzelli

Here's a couple snippets:

Not sure if that work toward him now having an idea on how to be a pro involved the Wings or if was on his own accord. One thing that does stick out is Horcoff mentioning that he thought Keith was "really mentally immature". I could just be reading to much into it, but Horcoff's overall tone seems to convey something like "Keith's now getting results because he finally started listening to us" or something like that.

I figured that maybe they'd been giving him stuff to do in the offseason as far as training or what he needed to work on, or like what they had last reported on JVP where Bryan Mahoney-Wilson had flown to Switzerland to watch him play and give him pointers on what he needed to work on or change before he eventually came to NA.
Maybe they were concerned about the eating habits considering what Jimmy did, lol.
(Just realized we probably should've called him Hungry Howie.)

Reactions: bedtime20

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Have fun playing in Providence, kid.

He was going to play in GR anyway.
With Ned/Cossa, moves that likely would have happened anyway, there wasn't any big plan for Petruzelli here.

We still don't even know if Yzerman had the slightest interest in him.
And there's WIIM, trying to get people to feel some hostile vibes for the kid.

Who f***ing cares?

Reactions: Rzombo4 prez

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
With Ned/Cossa, moves that likely would have happened anyway, there wasn't any big plan for Petruzelli here.

Who f***ing cares?

I think it would have been obvious there would have been a plan for him if he would have signed.

When he didn't sign, Yzerman pullled Nedelkovic from the pocket and moved on.

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010

Who f***ing cares?

How do you know the Ned move would have happened if this kid had signed?

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
How do you know the Ned move would have happened if this kid had signed?

Petruzzelli isn't really that close to the NHL. Given how tough his adjustments have been to each level I think people are kind of putting the cart ahead of the horse to assume he has a job in Providence. We will see, he could very easily end up in the ECHL in a hurry if he has a bumpy start.

But for your how do we know? I mean Yzerman didn't even say they offered him, it was if he goes back to school we will re-evaluate in a year. I guess we might find out more down the road, I thought Larsson was more exciting as a prospect, obviously injuries took him. I am much happier with what Yzerman choose to do this off-season than hoping for a lottery ticket on Petru. He is only 3 years younger than Ned. Usually takes a couple years of pro hockey for goalies to understand the angles and huge step up in the ability to punish you too. This guy isn't Spencer Knight or a 1st round goalie.

I wish him luck in Boston. I had a bad feeling when we didn't sign him last year, but it seems to me with the regime change they also might not have been that into him.

Last edited:
Reactions: MBH and Winger98

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
You don't go trade for a starting NHL goalie based on whether or not a low-level prospect signs.
Yup, Keith would've been playing in GR. Ned and Greiss are splitting starts. One has nothing to do with the other.

If Stevie had confidence in Keith, maybe we pick Svechkov instead of Cossa. But it is what it is, Stevie went for a better prospect.

Reactions: MBH

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Yup, Keith would've been playing in GR. Ned and Greiss are splitting starts. One has nothing to do with the other.

If Stevie had confidence in Keith, maybe we pick Svechkov instead of Cossa. But it is what it is, Stevie went for a better prospect.

Brattstrom is probably a better option for GR anyway to split with Pickard. In terms of actual competitiveness. He has the same frame as Petru and while yes 2 years older, already has four pro seasons under his belt in Sweden and Finland. That can be our minor league stop gap, while we wait on Gylander and Cossa to come through. I can kind of see why they might not have been quite as enamored. He re-calibrated the position with similar sized mammoth goalies with a little more athleticism in my opinion.

Reactions: MBH and bedtime20

BStinson

Nov 11, 2013
Wish him luck and also wish the NHL did comp picks for NCAA players that sign else where (if offered a contract).

kliq

Dec 17, 2017

Im guessing the Pickard signing was the backup plan.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Petruzzelli isn't really that close to the NHL. Given how tough his adjustments have been to each level I think people are kind of putting the cart ahead of the horse to assume he has a job in Providence. We will see, he could very easily end up in the ECHL in a hurry if he has a bumpy start.

But for your how do we know? I mean Yzerman didn't even say they offered him, it was if he goes back to school we will re-evaluate in a year. I guess we might find out more down the road, I thought Larsson was more exciting as a prospect, obviously injuries took him. I am much happier with what Yzerman choose to do this off-season than hoping for a lottery ticket on Petru. He is only 3 years younger than Ned. Usually takes a couple years of pro hockey for goalies to understand the angles and huge step up in the ability to punish you too. This guy isn't Spencer Knight or a 1st round goalie.

I wish him luck in Boston. I had a bad feeling when we didn't sign him last year, but it seems to me with the regime change they also might not have been that into him.

Really wanted to like petruzelli on draft day.
Thought he was the one real good pick we made in 2017. But when I saw him at the WJSS, I changed my tune a bit. he was big, sure. But not quick at all.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
After hearing what Yzerman had to say, I looked in the section about reserve list rights in the CBA and found this:

Seems to corroborate what Yzerman said.

I'm wondering if maybe the pandemic affected KP's ability to reach the number of credits he would've expected to have by this point, which opened up the possibility of another year.

Whether he signs his NHL ELC now or waits till next Spring/Summer, he has to sign for 2 years. So it isn't like he's trying to age out of ELC requirements. However, the one advantage the Wings can offer next year is that they can sign him after Quinnipiac's year is done to a deal that counts 21-22 as the first year of a 2-year ELC. It would burn the first year of his ELC, give him some immediate bonus money, as well as some pro-rated NHL/AHL salary depending on what they do with him for the rest of the year. This would also make him eligible for Group VI UFA status as soon as 7/1/24 if he hasn't played at least 30 minutes in 28 NHL games by then. Otherwise, signing an ELC with the Wings or any other NHL team that starts with 22-23 would push that eligibility to 7/1/25.

I'm guessing he wants to take advantage of the extra year so he can not only finish his degree, but potentially add some more hardware to his resume with another solid season which would probably give him some more leverage when he goes to sign an ELC with the Wings, or holds out to go to the highest bidder when his rights with Detroit end up expiring on 8/15/22.

Is this still a possibility?

That he takes 5 years at college and we can sign him next year?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad