OT: 76th Obsequious Banter Thread: Wonder Twins Disband

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ
I liked NY's Burr (Chicago was close close 2nd)
Chicago's Hamilton
Philly's LaFayette/TJ
Philly's Washington
Original cast Schuyler sisters
Chicago's King

(all the casts were great though)

Lord Defect

Secretary of Blowtorching
Nov 13, 2013
Super random thought, I’m trying to track down a table top game I had as a kid.
Bear in mind it was probably 20 years ago so details are fuzzy.
It was a fantasy setting I believe. It used miniatures of some form, but more like game pieces that miniatures. It was one or two player. You would set up your army, and I think a tower or mountain, and try to hit your opponents army with a catapult.

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
Super random thought, I’m trying to track down a table top game I had as a kid.
Bear in mind it was probably 20 years ago so details are fuzzy.
It was a fantasy setting I believe. It used miniatures of some form, but more like game pieces that miniatures. It was one or two player. You would set up your army, and I think a tower or mountain, and try to hit your opponents army with a catapult.

????

Lord Defect

Nov 13, 2013
I think the game had a mountain on one side, and the entire thing had a board attached to it. There were different land tiles on it to affect movement speed and each figure I think was different and had its own strength maybe?
I think only one side had a catapult.
I could also be mixing two games up in my head.

Is there a place to look up like, all games released in the US by year? This is driving me crazy.

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
I think the game had a mountain on one side, and the entire thing had a board attached to it. There were different land tiles on it to affect movement speed and each figure I think was different and had its own strength maybe?

Is there a place to look up like, all games released in the US by year? This is driving me crazy.

Last one I think might fit your criteria.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa

Screenshot_20200711-102451_Chrome.jpg

This isn't it, but this game was a shit ton of fun.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
That seems more like an 80’s game but I think it was somewhat similar.
If I remember right they shot “fireballs” and you could use a power up to shoot a larger fireball.
I think it was humans vs undead.

Was it Battle Masters? That’s a 2 player game from the early 90s made by Milton Bradley, so it was widely available. Ordinarily I would suggest these types of memories were Talisman or Hero Quest, but yours does not sound like either one of them unless you’re thinking of two different games.

BoardGameGeek.com is the de facto board game database. Here’s their advanced search function with plenty of options that should help you narrow it down.

BoardGameGeek | Gaming Unplugged Since 2000

Last edited:

Lord Defect

Nov 13, 2013
Was it Battle Masters? That’s a 2 player game from the early 90s made by Milton Bradley, so it was widely available. Ordinarily I would suggest these types of memories were Talisman or Hero Quest, but yours does not sound like either one of them unless you’re thinking of two different games.

BoardGameGeek.com is the de facto board game database. Here’s their advanced search function with plenty of options that should help you narrow it down.

BoardGameGeek | Gaming Unplugged Since 2000
That wasn’t it either but thanks for the link. I’m looking through every game that came out between 1990-2000, 50 pages.

This isn’t it but this game rocked.
The Uncanny X-Men Alert Adventure Game

Reactions: JojoTheWhale

Lord Defect

Nov 13, 2013
I went through all 50 pages and it’s not there. I’m pretty sure I got it around 94. So now I’m trying to hunt down toys r us Christmas catalogs, that are not 30 minute YouTube videos.

Reactions: Chinatown88

Lord Defect

Nov 13, 2013
No luck. I even watched a few videos of some dude turning the pages. He’s not hitting all the pages though, just pointing out things he remembers. This is beyond frustrating.
I’m starting to think it had tokens that slid rather than fireballs that shot up into the air.
What are some of the main toy manufacturers out there? I’ve checked through Milton Bradley’s stuff and it wasn’t in there.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
That wasn’t it either but thanks for the link. I’m looking through every game that came out between 1990-2000, 50 pages.

This isn’t it but this game rocked.
The Uncanny X-Men Alert Adventure Game

I was thinking about this and the tower bit made me remember Dark Tower. It’s from the early 80s, but I believe it was still in print by the 90s.

You can always try TSR if you’re looking at catalogs, but the thing about the Milton Bradley Games is that they often stayed in print for decades. You could have bought something new in the 90s and it was much older. Those weren’t always in catalogs. I would guess that looking through lists of either tactical, war, or fantasy board games would be more direct for you.

So all I'm seeing is more hosts for our nerd YouTube channel after I win the lotto.

If this includes me getting review copies of board games, sign me the hell up. They’re so damn expensive and only increasing. I Kickstarted one with a shipping weight of 30+ lbs.

Last edited:

Lord Defect

Nov 13, 2013
I was thinking about this and the tower bit made me remember Dark Tower. It’s from the early 80s, but I believe it was still in print by the 90s.

You can always try TSR if you’re looking at catalogs, but the thing about the Milton Bradley Games is that they often stayed in print for decades. You could have bought something new in the 90s and it was much older. Those weren’t always in catalogs. I would guess that looking through lists of either tactical, war, or fantasy board games would be more direct for you.

If this includes me getting review copies of board games, sign me the hell up. They’re so damn expensive and only increasing. I Kickstarted one with a shipping weight of 30+ lbs.
What’s TSR?
It wasn’t Dark Tower, if definitely wasn’t electronic.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP

Dark Tower is possibly the greatest game of any kind I have ever played, when you take context into account. Holy shit, was that ever a joy.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
What’s TSR?
It wasn’t Dark Tower, if definitely wasn’t electronic.

TSR was the company that published Dungeons and Dragons and made and licensed all sorts of fantasy games and products. They were sold to Wizards of the Coast in 1997, so anything before that would be under the TSR header, not WotC.

*Edit* Try Parker Brothers too. They produced a lot of generic stuff like: Tower of the Wizard King

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
TSR was the company that published Dungeons and Dragons and made and licensed all sorts of fantasy games and products. They were sold to Wizards of the Coast in 1997, so anything before that would be under the TSR header, not WotC.

*Edit* Try Parker Brothers too. They produced a lot of generic stuff like: Tower of the Wizard King

These kinds of posts always make me think of Pursue the Pennant. Did you ever play Out of the Park Baseball? Someone was asking this:

"What I really want to do is start a league from scratch and have a vast amateur draft using historic players as pure rookies. I don't see a way to do this in historic leagues either, you always have to start with a base of at least 704 veteran historic players. I want every historic player as a pure rookie."

And he was answered with some ways to do it. How cool would that be - having everyone in MLB history (including the Negro Leagues, I would think) to choose from?

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
These kinds of posts always make me think of Pursue the Pennant. Did you ever play Out of the Park Baseball? Someone was asking this:

"What I really want to do is start a league from scratch and have a vast amateur draft using historic players as pure rookies. I don't see a way to do this in historic leagues either, you always have to start with a base of at least 704 veteran historic players. I want every historic player as a pure rookie."

And he was answered with some ways to do it. How cool would that be - having everyone in MLB history (including the Negro Leagues, I would think) to choose from?

I’ve never played any of the text-based sports games, but that does sound up my alley. I noticed they seem to be super popular in particular right now.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Fire Tortorella

Formerly Flyersfan1406
Apr 2, 2010
PA
I’ve never played any of the text-based sports games, but that does sound up my alley. I noticed they seem to be super popular in particular right now.

Given how much you enjoy the tactical side of sports just as much as the roster management side, I think I'd recommend:

Football manager - I know you're not a huge soccer guy, but I think FM is easily the most polished sports sim out there, and it combines the tactical and roster management side very well.

Front Office Football 8 - This is probably a highly controversial opinion. This game looks like it was made in the 90s...because the UI hasn't changed since then. But this football game EASILY has the most tactical focus of any sports sim out there. You can just GM/coach and sim the games, but if you really want to, you can call plays as well. Single player is good, but multiplayer is apparently better, but I've never done it. You have to build your playbook each season, then have to come up with a game plan (picking plays for a certain game situation), which you can change each game if you want.

OOTP - Baseball. Roster management is good...but it's baseball...just not a very tactical game.

EHM - Fun, it's hockey. Roster management is good, but the AI is the weakest IMO and tactics can straight up break the game. Probably a much better multiplayer experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad