Signing(s): 76ers sign Embiid to massive contract

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
It was risky either way. Don't sign him and he goes somewhere else and ends up dominating for 10 years. The Sixers also have salary cap protection if the worst happens so it's not as big a risk as it seems.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Hate the signing purely because I think Embiid will never be healthy. Wonderful player when he's on the court but I don't think he'll ever play more than 40 games per season.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
It was risky either way. Don't sign him and he goes somewhere else and ends up dominating for 10 years. The Sixers also have salary cap protection if the worst happens so it's not as big a risk as it seems.

Or -------- you wait until after this season to sign him so you can see what kind of investment you are doing. That would have been waaaaaay smarter.

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
Or -------- you wait until after this season to sign him so you can see what kind of investment you are doing. That would have been waaaaaay smarter.

Except if he plays 60-70 games and looks great then you probably end up paying him more, or you lose him. Steven Adams just got $100M for four years. $148M for five years of Embiid with that cap protection doesn’t seem that bad.

Last edited:

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Except if he plays 60-70 games and looks great then you probably end up paying him more, or you lose him. Steven Adams just got $100M for four years. $148M for five years of Embiid with that cap protection doesn’t seem that bad.
No... you don't... the thing about a "max extension" is... its the max you can give a player....

Embiid playing 60-70 games is one of the biggest "what ifs" in recent NBA history.

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
No... you don't... the thing about a "max extension" is... its the max you can give a player....

Embiid playing 60-70 games is one of the biggest "what ifs" in recent NBA history.

The contract they gave him is not fully guaranteed. There are conditions to protect the Sixers if something bad happens (details haven't been released as far as I've seen). You wait, you might lose that bargaining leverage and maybe you lose the player to another team. No one is saying it's not a gamble, it obviously is. But given the potential of the player that's a gamble you take.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Very risky deal but it's probably worth gambling on a talent like Embiid. The details of the contract will be interesting.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
The contract they gave him is not fully guaranteed. There are conditions to protect the Sixers if something bad happens (details haven't been released as far as I've seen). You wait, you might lose that bargaining leverage and maybe you lose the player to another team. No one is saying it's not a gamble, it obviously is. But given the potential of the player that's a gamble you take.

Theres not really any leverage to lose as he'd be an RFA and they have the right to match any offer as well as go over the cap (not like they are anywhere near the cap) to sign him.

I just hope they put serious protections in the deal otherwise they will have Allan Houston 2.0

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
Theres not really any leverage to lose as he'd be an RFA and they have the right to match any offer as well as go over the cap (not like they are anywhere near the cap) to sign him.

I just hope they put serious protections in the deal otherwise they will have Allan Houston 2.0

The leverage is the opportunity to put those protections in the deal now. If he stays healthy this season (not impossible) there's a good chance they wouldn't have that, especially if it comes down to matching another offer or losing him. Yes, the protections are key. Nobody wants to see another Bynum situation.

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
The leverage is the opportunity to put those protections in the deal now. If he stays healthy this season (not impossible) there's a good chance they wouldn't have that, especially if it comes down to matching another offer or losing him. Yes, the protections are key. Nobody wants to see another Bynum situation.
And if he signs an offer sheet, they likely won't get the protections either.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad