Prospect Info: #73 OA - Defenseman Vili Saarijarvi, USHL (Signed to ELC, Post 136)

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Red Wings hfboards:

"Why didn't we take a chance on Tyler Johnson??"

"Why did we pick this tiny guy !?"

Yeah I know size is slightly more important on defense than offense, but I'll take skill, hockey IQ, skating and offensive ability over another big guy with zero offensive ability or simply no hockey IQ.

This is exactly the type of draft picks we need to go for on defense. If he grows a little bit and puts on some muscle he could be a homerun. I still think Almqvist should have gotten more of a chance, but this kid sounds like a right-handed AA with skating as one of his strengths rather than weaknesses so he should have a better chance of making it.

wingfan

Jul 1, 2012
I can't believe Kylington fell to 60. I had a feeling he'd fall to the second, but god damn, do I wish we could have taken him at 49.

I hate Holland's half ass deadline trades. God damn it, Frk it.

I don't know man, something tells me scouts started seeing things they really didn't like when this kid fell from top 5/10 lock to 60. I wouldn't have been upset at all if we had our 2nd and took a flyer on him but something is a little off.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Boys do not "most likely" grow an inch+ after they are 18.

There's no set pattern for it but Sami Vatanen was about 175 cm/5' 9" when he was drafted but the summer before he began his NHL career, he was in the army along with Mikko Koivu and Mikael Granlund. He mentioned in the papers how he was surprised that when he was measured there, he was 179 cm tall.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
There's no set pattern for it but Sami Vatanen was about 175 cm/5' 9" when he was drafted but the summer before he began his NHL career, he was in the army along with Mikko Koivu and Mikael Granlund. He mentioned in the papers how he was surprised that when he was measured there, he was 179 cm tall.

And Kronwall is 181cm = 5'11 + 2/5 inches, you can be effective with that size.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
As an undersized guy, I like that he is playing in America as opposed to Europe, because we seem to be better at getting these kids to gain weight and muscle via strength and conditioning programs.

GBFP

Sep 24, 2009
^That doesn't mean he'll play for Flint next season - if he has a contract to play back home, he's staying there unless they work out a buyout. And Red Wings will have a lot of say about that.

Boomhower

Aug 23, 2003
Ontario
Visit site
Very interesting... he was selected really high in the CHL import draft.

These drafts are usually rigged in a manner that the really high picks have already somewhat commited too or the team has good reason to believe they can sign him.

Also the Plymouth/Flint franchise had a very good record with landing their import picks... they weren't known for throwing them away. Him going to Flint would be awesome!

Also he was listed as 5'9.5". Grown a half inch already.:D

DatsyukToZetterberg

Alligator!
Apr 3, 2011
Island of Tortuga
Very interesting... he was selected really high in the CHL import draft.

These drafts are usually rigged in a manner that the really high picks have already somewhat commited too or the team has good reason to believe they can sign him.

Also the Plymouth/Flint franchise had a very good record with landing their import picks... they weren't known for throwing them away. Him going to Flint would be awesome!

Also he was listed as 5'9.5". Grown a half inch already.:D

Just to add I just saw this in the prospect forum:

"I did talk to Vili and we expressed to him how excited we were to have been able to draft him. He was very, very excited that we did draft him. He wants to be in Michigan. He wants to be as close as he possibly can to the Detroit situation.

So it would seem like he is likely going to come over and play in Flint.

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009

Boomhower

Aug 23, 2003
Ontario
Visit site
http://www.freep.com/story/sports/n...0/detroit-red-wings-vili-saarijarvi/29515577/

What does the Flint team & management look like? Good coaches and solid roster?

Tougher competition vs larger role. That's the difference between Kärpät and Flint.

There are several differences.
More offensive game/goals in the CHL. North American size/smaller ice surface to name a couple on top yours.

Flint does not look like they will be a good team next year, but CHL can be unpredictable.

sean3250

Feb 7, 2015
What are the odds that Oulun Karpat will either loan him out or terminate his contract?

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
What are the odds that Oulun Karpat will either loan him out or terminate his contract?

Kärpät guaranteed him a spot on their roster, that's why he signed with them. Even if it was the 7th defenseman on Liiga roster, they have Champions Hockey League games also so there'd be plenty of icetime coming if his performances warrant it.

Anchor Town*

Kärpät guaranteed him a spot on their roster, that's why he signed with them. Even if it was the 7th defenseman on Liiga roster, they have Champions Hockey League games also so there'd be plenty of icetime coming if his performances warrant it.

Will likely have 2-3x the total ice time in Flint than he would for Karpat

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
You guys are getting entirely wrapped up in the wrong debate.

5'9
5'10
5'11

Its still small. Maybe hes done growing, maybe not. But for a D-man we all agree.. hes SMALL.

So what?

Tyson Barrie is small. He would be our #1 D man right now.
Someone like Dougie Hamilton (the 6'5 Tyson Barrie) is for top 10 picks.

I really like this pick because its got a HUGE payoff if he works out.
Most other players picked in 3rd+ rounds are lucky to make the NHL EVER. And if they do, very rarely are they impact players.

Well if this kid makes the NHL, he will be an impact player. If he isn't an impact player, he wont make

the NHL at all.

I like that gamble. 5'9;5'10 I dont care. He, like joe hicketts are both gambling on skill. I hope at least one of them works out. Because these guys could be massively awesome.

We have lots of things we complain about here, but Drafting is very rarely a problem. I trust Detroit in this regard. If they like him, I like him. Sure he might not work out, and the DRW know that, BUT if he does... man o man, he could be good!!

I'm sorry but Tyson Barrie is not better than Nick Kronwall

Brandel*

When asked about the important factors to him regarding his decision about where to play next season he hesitated (a lot, seemed nervous) said he has a contract in Finland. Then asked where he wants to play next year and finally broke and said in the OHL if he can get out of his contract in Finland.

Going to talk with Karpat later this week.

BSHH

HSVer & Rotflügel
Apr 12, 2009
Hamburg
When asked about the important factors to him regarding his decision about where to play next season he hesitated (a lot, seemed nervous) said he has a contract in Finland. Then asked where he wants to play next year and finally broke and said in the OHL if he can get out of his contract in Finland.

Won't he be making much more money in Finland than playing for a junior hockey club? I really appreciate his determination, but the earlier he earns nice salaries, the more relaxed he will fulfill those de facto-mandatory seasons in Grand Rapids.

Gruß,
BSHH

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really

Awesome. Even though I'd have to go to Flint to do it, I'd love to be able to watch him play.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Czechia vs Switzerland
    Gold Medal Czechia vs Switzerland
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $4,850.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Empoli vs AS Roma
    Empoli vs AS Roma
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $45.00