Prospect Info: #71OA - Hurricanes Select LW Alexander Perevalov

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
Ha. Oh Canes. Always finding the market inefficiency.

This year, we're gonna take all the falling Russians that everyone else is too afraid to take because of Putin.
This is leveraging a market inefficiency that makes no sense, which is why I like it.

None of these players are coming over in 22-23 or even 23-24 in a normal scenario.

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
Alexander Perevalov started his draft season helping Russia to a gold medal at the Hlinka-Gretzky Cup. He put up three goals and two assists for five points in the five-game tournament. He is playing in the Lokomotiv Yaroslavl system. Perevalov’s contract runs through the end of the 2023-24 season. He spent most of this past season in the MHL, Russia’s under-20 league. He scored 25 goals and 25 assists for 50 points in 42 games. Perevalov added three goals and an assist for four points in nine playoff games. He also earned a callup to the KHL. As a young player Perevalov didn’t get a lot of ice time though. He was held scoreless in five KHL games.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
This is leveraging a market inefficiency that makes no sense, which is why I like it.

None of these players are coming over in 22-23 or even 23-24 in a normal scenario.
Exactly. It's rare that prospects are ready within 2 years anyway, so why not take guys that are going to fit the timeframe that we have the rights to long-term, where they can play regularly in the 2nd best league in the world if they have the skill level to do so. The political situation might take a few years to normalize, but that's fine by us.

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
Perevalov was like 20 spots higher on McKenzie's final list than Gleb. Great value pick.

I know basically every year we get a really high grade post-draft but I hope at some point we start to see these guys come over and contribute.

I’ve never been a fan of declaring winners and losers an hour after the draft ends.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
I know basically every year we get a really high grade post-draft but I hope at some point we start to see these guys come over and contribute.

I’ve never been a fan of declaring winners and losers an hour after the draft ends.

I generally agree with that idea. I still absolutely love Carolina's draft strategy to draft the dropping skill players and stocking draft capital when possible. I hope it pays off one day, potentially via always getting replacement depth during the contention period.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid

All I'm saying is that NHL scouts seem to have a high opinion on him (since that's basically how McKenzie makes his list), especially in relation to where he was picked. I realize there's a very good chance neither amount to anything, just like most 2nd and 3rd rounders.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
I like the strategy, but I would like the strategy a lot more if we eventually took some of this glut of prospects and picks and started packaging them together for big swings in the trade markets. We aren't going to be able to play all of these kids in the NHL, and while its nice that we keep winning the Calder Cup, that shouldn't be the organizational goal

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
From McKeens:

"The key to Perevalov’s success is his creativity with the puck and ability to create space for himself with his hands. A tough cover in transition because of his unpredictability, Perevalov consistently shows the ability to beat defenders one on one to create scoring chances. Far from a perimeter player, he also possesses an attacking mentality and seems to thrive playing through traffic, rather than sticking to the perimeter. Perevalov also excels as a goal scorer because of a wide array of shooting skills, from a wrister with a quick release that he can use in the slot, to a one timer with good velocity from the outside on the powerplay. His scoring instincts and drive are sound, and he is willing to crash the crease and fight for position to get his looks."

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
All I'm saying is that NHL scouts seem to have a high opinion on him (since that's basically how McKenzie makes his list), especially in relation to where he was picked. I realize there's a very good chance neither amount to anything, just like most 2nd and 3rd rounders.

Sorry, didn’t mean to sound like I was so going you out. Was more so just predicting how we’d be called draft winners again for taking guys who are falling.

Reactions: DaveG and Canes

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
He seems like more of a hustler and two way player than the first pick. Less explosive and dynamic but has soft hands and sees the play well, still a very good scorer.

Itll be interesting to see if and when with both of them.

Reactions: DaveG and Tryamw

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
Sorry, didn’t mean to sound like I was so going you out. Was more so just predicting how we’d be called draft winners again for taking guys who are falling.
I know what you meant. I don't really care for declaring immediate winners or losers for 3-4 years after the draft at the very least so I get it. Also I really have no clue about prospects anymore so I defer to the experts who I assume actually watch the prospects to make their lists.

Reactions: DaveG

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad