Prospect Info: #70 - Carter Mazur (LW)

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
No, because you can pick up 3rd and 4th liners for cheap in free agency. The salary cap savings from his ELC will be $1M/season or less.

It's good.... but not huge, and not something that gets you a Cup with a crap defense.

This why I don't think it is huge. Nice, sure, but not some major awesome thing.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
When you consider most of our bottom 6 are first round picks (Rasmussen 9th, Fischer 32nd, Veleno 30th, Klim Kostin 31st, Robby Fabbri 21st) you start to realize Oddbob is wrong here.

Sprong was 46 overall btw.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
if something super mundane if relatively uncommon like getting a regular bottom 6 guy in the 3rd would qualify as "huge" then what do you even call something like getting a Zetterberg in the 7th?

when you overuse superlatives you run out of room to differentiate these things and you just sound ridiculous

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
if something super mundane if relatively uncommon like getting a regular bottom 6 guy in the 3rd would qualify as "huge" then what do you even call something like getting a Zetterberg in the 7th?

when you overuse superlatives you run out of room to differentiate these things and you just sound ridiculous
Franchise altering.

Huge isn't a superlative.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Franchise altering.

Huge isn't a superlative.
If Mazur becomes a top line guy then it's HUGE. If he's a second line guy like Bert then that's pretty damn good. Third or 4th line, that's not a game breaker. It ain't huge. That's like calling your 3" penis huge, lol.

I really think his success will depend on how much he can bulk up, if he can get to average NHL forward size at 198lbs, I think he'll be top 6, not bottom 6 and this becomes a different conversation. Gaining 20lbs of muscle isn't something that everyone can do.... and for reference, Ambertuzzi is listed at 200 even this season.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
L

Don’t get worked up over a nothing comment by a poster who absolutely hated and crushed this pick and as a result is trying to put a totally arbitrary ceiling on Mazur despite how well he’s played the last 2 years.

Axel Sandy Pelikan

Jonatan Berggren is our Lord and Savior,
May 11, 2023
If Mazur becomes a top line guy then it's HUGE. If he's a second line guy like Bert then that's pretty damn good. Third or 4th line, that's not a game breaker. It ain't huge. That's like calling your 3" penis huge, lol.

I really think his success will depend on how much he can bulk up, if he can get to average NHL forward size at 198lbs, I think he'll be top 6, not bottom 6 and this becomes a different conversation. Gaining 20lbs of muscle isn't something that everyone can do.... and for reference, Ambertuzzi is listed at 200 even this season.

And here I am catching a stray in that first paragraph. Not cool, Gniwder. :laugh:
:laugh::laugh:

Reactions: Air Budd Dwyer

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
When you consider most of our bottom 6 are first round picks (Rasmussen 9th, Fischer 32nd, Veleno 30th, Klim Kostin 31st, Robby Fabbri 21st) you start to realize Oddbob is wrong here.

Sprong was 46 overall btw.

If getting another bottom 6 guy is huge, then we have different definitions of the word huge.

sepster

Gerard Gallant is my Spirit Animal
Aug 19, 2005
North of the 'D"
Mazur definitely needs to gain some weight before being able to translate to the NHL. Hopefully, he can do it. Danny DeKeyser couldn't. Neither could Drew Miller.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
... and both had decade long NHL careers.
Do you really want either of them on this team? Not to mention they're both good examples of lighter players being injury prone.

You have to have skills and skating ability like Stevie to succeed at 180lbs or less. Playing a gritty style will make him injury prone to begin with, being a lightweight will make it worse. He'll wind up spending more time on IR than Patrick Eaves, lol. Hopefully Mazur is smart enough not to block shots with his face.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
If getting another bottom 6 guy is huge, then we have different definitions of the word huge.
There's this word, relatively, that makes things comparable to their situations.

The statement wasn't "getting a bottom 6 player would be huge"

Reactions: norrisnick

RRhoads

Mar 10, 2015
Norway
Glendening and Helm were both bottom 6 players, and if you could get one of them in the third round, it would be huge.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
There's this word, relatively, that makes things comparable to their situations.

The statement wasn't "getting a bottom 6 player would be huge"

Getting a bottom 6 player in any situation isn't huge.

Oddly, I'm arguing that Mazur will become an NHL player if he becomes huge, not that it'll be huge if he makes the NHL, lol. I find that kinda funny.

The fact that people are bitching about drafting a guy in the 3rd round that is looking like a solid 3rd liner at worst is mind blowing.
Nobody's even arguing about Mazur, we're stuck on the word "huge". Kinda like all of the "elite" arguments we have, lol.

The only thing "elite" about this team is Walman's cely, and him being out of the lineup is "huge" (in a bad way).

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
Nobody's even arguing about Mazur, we're stuck on the word "huge". Kinda like all of the "elite" arguments we have, lol.

The only thing "elite" about this team is Walman's cely, and him being out of the lineup is "huge" (in a bad way).
  • of considerable importance or seriousness.
    "this could be the start of something huge for you"
  • INFORMAL
    very popular or successful.
    "while he may be unknown in the American mainstream, he's huge in Britain"

Now that I have come to the rescue and cleared this up, can we just move on lmao

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
  • of considerable importance or seriousness.
    "this could be the start of something huge for you"
  • INFORMAL
    very popular or successful.
    "while he may be unknown in the American mainstream, he's huge in Britain"

Now that I have come to the rescue and cleared this up, can we just move on lmao

OK, so Walman's cely is "elite" AND "huge". Kinda doubting Mazur can match that, but we haven't seen him score an NHL goal yet.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
The fact that people are bitching about drafting a guy in the 3rd round that is looking like a solid 3rd liner at worst is mind blowing.

I ain't bitching about it. But it also isn't something to be all excited about either.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
From shit nepotism overager Draper pick to not even a big deal if he becomes a good bottom 6 NHLer. Oh how the turntables.

I think he's got middle 6 potential if he bulks up. Bottom 6 isn't that big of a deal, dime a dozen in free agency. Not sure why people don't understand that.

He's a solid 3rd round pick even if he never makes the NHL. GR needs the help. Some people just don't like overagers. In many cases, it means late or lack of physical development, we'll see in the next couple of years which one it is.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
From shit nepotism overager Draper pick to not even a big deal if he becomes a good bottom 6 NHLer. Oh how the turntables.

Never said anything about Draper drafting his kid. Bottom 6ers are found in free agency every year, plenty of good ones. Nothing to be excited about as it isn't making us a better team. We need someone like him to exceed expectations as we haven't had any really good players in the 3rd and later for a very long time.

If we already had a stellar top 6 than getting a bottom 6 through the draft would be something, but right now, we look to have a lot of 6-9 type forwards in the youth pipeline.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad