#7 - The top 15 best seasons of the Dead Puck Era (1996-97 to 2003-04)

What’s the 7th best season of the DPE?

• Lidstrom (2003)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Brodeur (2003)

• Iginla (2002)

• Théodore (2002)

• Elias (2001)

• Lidstrom (2001)

• Hasek (2001)

• Bure (2000)

• Selanne (1999)

• Kariya (1997)

• Leetch (1997)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

TheGuiminator

I’ll be damned King, I’ll be damned
Oct 23, 2018
Poll results

1. Jagr (1998-99)
2. Hasek (1996-97)
3. Sakic (2000-01)
4. Hasek (1997-98)
5. Hasek (1998-99)
6. Lemieux (1996-97)

Last edited:

SillyRabbit

Trix Are For Kids
Jan 3, 2006
Jagr getting massively overlooked here. He has two worthy seasons, 98-99 and 00-01.

Voted other (98-99). He won the Art Ross by 20 points over the two dynamic duos in Anaheim and Colorado, despite having no star caliber linemates.

That should be a poll option over a number of other weaker seasons.

Edit: He already was recognized for his 98-99 season, so I vote for the 00-01 season.

Last edited:

Howe Elbows 9

Sep 16, 2007
Sweden
Jagr getting massively overlooked here. He has two worthy seasons, 98-99 and 00-01.

Voted other (98-99). He won the Art Ross by 20 points over the two dynamic duos in Anaheim and Colorado, despite having no star caliber linemates.

That should be a poll option over a number of other weaker seasons.

Jagr's 98-99 season was voted the best season of the Dead Puck Era. Personally, I think his 1999-00 season was better than his 2000-01 season.

SillyRabbit

Trix Are For Kids
Jan 3, 2006
Jagr's 98-99 season was voted the best season of the Dead Puck Era. Personally, I think his 1999-00 season was better than his 2000-01 season.

Ahh I seem to have overlooked that myself haha. Good to see him being recognized.

99-00 was another great season from him as he only played 63 games but still won the Art Ross.

However i'd still lean towards 01-02 because of how much of a lead he had on the 3rd place scorer. He was also ahead of Sakic in goals headed into the final few games, he could've won the Hart had he captured the Rocket and Art Ross.

Since Sakic was voted #3, Jagr, who had more points, should be next IMO.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Ahh I seem to have overlooked that myself haha. Good to see him being recognized.

99-00 was another great season from him as he only played 63 games but still won the Art Ross.

However i'd still lean towards 01-02 because of how much of a lead he had on the 3rd place scorer. He was also ahead of Sakic in goals headed into the final few games, he could've won the Hart had he captured the Rocket and Art Ross.

Jagr was amazing in the second half of '01 (I'm assuming you mean this season instead of '02), but he dogged it the first half as he pouted about the team and it wasn't until Lemieux showed up that he played like the best in the world again. Jagr when on his game that time period was as good as anyone but I have to rate this year lower based on the above. I don't see any way he wins the Hart that year either, Richard or not. He didn't receive a single 1st place Hart vote and finished behind Lemieux on his own team. He would have had to widely outproduce Sakic who finished 2nd in Selke voting.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
It seems a lot of people are willing to put Jagr's '00 season quite a bit higher in this group than Crosby's '13 in the previous list of this type and I'm curious why? Both played a similar percentage of games and were the clear best player when healthy, winning the Lindsay. Jagr won the Art Ross, but Crosby just barely lost and Jagr benefitted more from other players missing time as well. Is it that missing 3/4 of a full season is held higher than 3/4 of a partial season? Personally I would put both lower in terms of overall seasons due to the missed time.

Howe Elbows 9

Sep 16, 2007
Sweden
It seems a lot of people are willing to put Jagr's '00 season quite a bit higher in this group than Crosby's '13 in the previous list of this type and I'm curious why? Both played a similar percentage of games and were the clear best player when healthy, winning the Lindsay. Jagr won the Art Ross, but Crosby just barely lost and Jagr benefitted more from other players missing time as well. Is it that missing 3/4 of a full season is held higher than 3/4 of a partial season? Personally I would put both lower in terms of overall seasons due to the missed time.

I usually check if there's any notable separation between the leading scorer and second highest scorer on the team.

2012-13 Penguins;
Crosby, 56 points in 36 games (1.56 points per game)
Kunitz, 52 points in 48 games (1.08 ppg)

1999-00 Penguins;
Jagr, 96 points in 63 games (1.52 ppg)
Kovalev, 66 points in 82 games (0.80 ppg)

For comparison, here's the 2000-01 Penguins with Lemieux included as well;
Jagr, 121 points in 81 games (1.49 ppg)
Kovalev, 95 points in 79 games (1.20 ppg)
Lemieux, 76 points in 43 games (1.77 ppg)

Reactions: Regal

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013

Hey @TheGuiminator - sounds like this is a write-in vote for Jagr 2001, since poster had previously voted "other" because he thought Jagr 99 was still on the board.

ps - Jagr had no chance at the hart in 2001. It would have gone to Lemieux. It's the much better story, and hart voters love a good story. Also - you can't deny that Lemieux was "more valuable" to the Pens, when you think about it. Jagr might have been slightly 'better', but it's Lemieux's return that provided that surge, both on and off the ice.

Still though - Jagr 2001 does get my vote here too. I'll probably have Lemieux 2001 next

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013

"A lot of people". It only has 2 votes.

Also - I was one of the earliest voters of Crosby 2013 in that other series of poll. My reasoning was that, in terms of level of play, it was a top 5, maybe even top 3 season. The games missed is factored into that (25% games missed isn't all that bothersome, since he was still among leaders at the end). I think what hurt Crosby's season more though is the lockout year. 48 games total, vs 82.

Crosby did it for 36 games, whereas everyone else he was being compared to in other years had ~80 game seasons.
Jagr in 00 did it for 63 games, whereas everyone else he was being compared to had ~80 game seasons. It's much easier to ignore the gap in games played in this comparison.

TheGuiminator

Oct 23, 2018
Hey @TheGuiminator - sounds like this is a write-in vote for Jagr 2001, since poster had previously voted "other" because he thought Jagr 99 was still on the board.

ps - Jagr had no chance at the hart in 2001. It would have gone to Lemieux. It's the much better story, and hart voters love a good story. Also - you can't deny that Lemieux was "more valuable" to the Pens, when you think about it. Jagr might have been slightly 'better', but it's Lemieux's return that provided that surge, both on and off the ice.

Still though - Jagr 2001 does get my vote here too. I'll probably have Lemieux 2001 next

:thumbu:

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
"A lot of people". It only has 2 votes.

Also - I was one of the earliest voters of Crosby 2013 in that other series of poll. My reasoning was that, in terms of level of play, it was a top 5, maybe even top 3 season. The games missed is factored into that (25% games missed isn't all that bothersome, since he was still among leaders at the end). I think what hurt Crosby's season more though is the lockout year. 48 games total, vs 82.

Crosby did it for 36 games, whereas everyone else he was being compared to in other years had ~80 game seasons.
Jagr in 00 did it for 63 games, whereas everyone else he was being compared to had ~80 game seasons. It's much easier to ignore the gap in games played in this comparison.

I wasn't going on votes, but I've seen it mentioned as part of the conversation pretty regularly in the polls so far, whereas I don't remember Crosby's season coming up the same way until much later, but I might be wrong. Thanks for the response.

Hockey Outsider

Jan 16, 2005
Interesting how the "selectively secondary" crowd is silent here. Forsberg had a huge number of secondary assists in 2003. I think he was 7th in primary points that year.

Same with Jagr's 1999 campaign. Not a word was said about how many secondary assists he had. Excluding secondary assists (for every player), Jagr's dominant-looking margin of victory in the scoring race falls to a single point.

It's almost as if people pick and choose when to bring up secondary assists as an argument - perish the thought.

TheGuiminator

Oct 23, 2018
Interesting how the "selectively secondary" crowd is silent here. Forsberg had a huge number of secondary assists in 2003. I think he was 7th in primary points that year.

Same with Jagr's 1999 campaign. Not a word was said about how many secondary assists he had. Excluding secondary assists (for every player), Jagr's dominant-looking margin of victory in the scoring race falls to a single point.

It's almost as if people pick and choose when to bring up secondary assists as an argument - perish the thought.

Secondary assists only apply to Sidney Crosby, only him can benefit of those. You didn’t know that?

Kurt Cobain

Mar 30, 2004
Brodeur's 1997 season should be an option might be the best season ever by a goalie who didn't win the Vezina.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad