GDT: #7| New York Islanders @ Philadelphia Flyers | September 5th | 7:30 PM | F/W 4-0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Isles Junkie

Jul 4, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
Can our PP please feature something other than a telegraphed pass to Pulock - who has had his stick up for the one timer for the previous 10 seconds - that may or may not hit the net. Let's just try something else a couple times, just to make them think we have more than 1 set play.

Please win. Make 2020 fun for us. We really do deserve it.

Satan'sIsland81

Feb 9, 2007
It was just still such a letdown feeling waking up this morning. This past month the Isles have given us some fun and happiness after 4 months that have basically been like hell, and it is hard not to feel like it is coming to an end. This team has had every chance to wrap up this series. It honestly could have been a sweep. But we could have won Game 5 and SHOULD have won Game 6. Despite being outplayed the Flyers have gotten every break and bounce of the puck. They should not have been even in the game yesterday. And yet they have won all 3 games in OT. That just makes it really hard to have any confidence right now.
Personally, I do not even know what to do about the lineup anymore. It is hard to believe Greiss could be any worse than Varly was last night, but I also do not trust Greiss at all either. I also think Boychuk should go in for Mayfield, but after all this time, for better or worse, it is hard to believe Trotz is going to want to mess with any chemistry or combinations.
All we can do is just hope and pray that the guys can dig deep and pull this out, but I certainly would not bet on it.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
Maybe it’s just recency bias, but anyone else think that was pound for pound the most painful individual loss in their experience as an Isles fan?

I mean, Game 7 in 2015 probably takes the cake, but last night has to be up there...
No I don't think so, not for me. That game 7 has it's own special spot I don't think will be beat.

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
Maybe it’s just recency bias, but anyone else think that was pound for pound the most painful individual loss in their experience as an Isles fan?

I mean, Game 7 in 2015 probably takes the cake, but last night has to be up there...

Probably, the Boyle OT winner in game 3 of the 2016 TB series hurt too

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
It was just still such a letdown feeling waking up this morning. This past month the Isles have given us some fun and happiness after 4 months that have basically been like hell, and it is hard not to feel like it is coming to an end. This team has had every chance to wrap up this series. It honestly could have been a sweep. But we could have won Game 5 and SHOULD have won Game 6. Despite being outplayed the Flyers have gotten every break and bounce of the puck. They should not have been even in the game yesterday. And yet they have won all 3 games in OT. That just makes it really hard to have any confidence right now.
Personally, I do not even know what to do about the lineup anymore. It is hard to believe Greiss could be any worse than Varly was last night, but I also do not trust Greiss at all either. I also think Boychuk should go in for Mayfield, but after all this time, for better or worse, it is hard to believe Trotz is going to want to mess with any chemistry or combinations.
All we can do is just hope and pray that the guys can dig deep and pull this out, but I certainly would not bet on it.

He's ran with Mayfield and Varlamov twice, and twice they've been big factors in the Islanders failing to close the series out. They are net-negatives. Is Trotz stubborn enough to strike out?

It's not like we are proposing to replace them with question marks. Boychuk is seasoned, healthy and much more savvy than Mayfield. Look at Greene, he's old, not agile and yet he has been our second best defensemen behind Pelech this series. Boychuk can clear the zone (Mayfield can't) and doesn't over think the game.

When Varlamov posted a .700 SV% in Game 2. Greiss came in and weathered the storm, not allowing a goal for the remainder of regulation. He's stolen us a series in 2016 and very rarely does he have a total stinker of a game. If Trotz rolls with Varlamov and Mayfield there's no way I can bring myself to watch this game, maybe when I was younger and naive , I value my time too much to commit to heartbreak and frustration for another 3.5 hours.

Remember that San Jose Sharks logo of the Shark choking on the stick? That's going to be the Isles Fisherman on Sunday morning if the roster is left as is.

Reactions: Capt Obvious

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
If I were coach my pre-game motivational speech would consist of a video montage of that little ***** Konecny, and then I'd ask the players how they'd like to be on the wrong end of the handshake line with him in 3 hours.

As far as the outcome goes, I'm just hoping Trotz makes the right tweaks. Overall we've been carrying the play, but little brain farts, isolated bad plays and some bad luck have done us in. Minimize the bad stuff. Clear some traffic in front of our goalie and create some in front of theirs. And maybe we get a break or two (goal off somebody's pants, etc.) tomorrow.

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
I'm ready to give up. Had so much hope...we got through those 3rd period meltdowns in the Cappy era..I really hope that hasn't evolved/morphed into game 7 meltdowns..

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
If I were coach my pre-game motivational speech would consist of a video montage of that little ***** Konecny, and then I'd ask the players how they'd like to be on the wrong end of the handshake line with him in 3 hours.

As far as the outcome goes, I'm just hoping Trotz makes the right tweaks. Overall we've been carrying the play, but little brain farts, isolated bad plays and some bad luck have done us in. Minimize the bad stuff. Clear some traffic in front of our goalie and create some in front of theirs. And maybe we get a break or two (goal off somebody's pants, etc.) tomorrow.
Toss in that blatant knee by Braun. I hope Martin throws him through the glass for that spineless move.

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl
get angry and mean to win game 7. Hopefully the boys are pissed off and ready to do what is needed to win. Starts at the drop of the puck. Let's see what this group is made of. Lou and Trotz will be looking closely.

Reactions: nyisleslover

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Just when you thought the misery of being an Islanders fan has come to an end....
We could lose 2-1 in February to LA and the misery index would be the same as now.

I was crushed yesterday but I’m better now. :yo:

Especially the time when Konecny was making faces at Leddy.

I had no idea Travis Konecny was such a douche.

If they play the same game as last night they will win.
Yep. Just have to clean up the giveaways.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: doublechili

Satan'sIsland81

Feb 9, 2007
After sleeping on it and thinking about it today, I am leaning towards starting Varly...for one reason. If you go Greiss, you are saying you are committed to him for the game, no matter what happens. You are not going to suddenly go back to Varly if he gives up early goals. But if you start Varly you can wait and see if he is suddenly back to the goalie who had two straight shutouts and set a team record or if he gives up an early goal or we go down multiple goals at any point in the first half of the game, you pull him. I think Greiss is much more effective coming in in relief rather than if Varly had to come in in relief.
With that said I am still leaning toward Boychuk over Mayfield, this is a change that I think needs to be made for several reasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad