Player Discussion 7-3-1

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
This 100x.

Always felt the Oilers and others missed an opportunity to buy low before the 2017 expansion draft. Imagine if they'd traded for Colin Green, James Neal and Nate Schmidt for scrap draft picks - their teams just wanted to get something for them and not nothing.

Even if the Oilers couldn't protect any of them Vegas would've been able to only pick one of them and all three from three different teams. So if the Oilers gave up a 3rd, 4th and 5th round pick to get all those guys and one got picked that means they spent those picks to get 2 of 3 of the aforementioned players. Probably cheaper than it would cost at normal off season prices.

I'd be seriously looking to buy low on a couple of guys and maybe they end up protecting guys you can't protect as they are the ones picked. Or you have made the preemptive move to replace someone you know you'll probably lose.

There's a flaw in this logic though in that every team has to lose a guy in the expansion draft. So not only does a team lose the guy that would have otherwise been selected in a deal for scraps, they also lose the next guy down the list. At the benefit of a mid round pick, they are now losing two players instead of one. It would only make sense if the team valued the next guy down the line less than they valued a 3rd, 4th or 5th round pick. For some teams that very well may be the case. But for most I doubt it.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
The Arvidsson trade is a perfect example of how teams can buy low on players before the expansion draft. Nashville needs to go 4-4 route, Arvidsson becomes expendable. We probably have two forwards slots available to protect. Holland should be looking at these trade scenarios.
Is a 2nd and a 3rd for Arvidsson even really buying low? He's coming off back to back seasons where he's pacing at ~20 goals, ~40 points. A 2nd and a 3rd doesn't seem that out out of whack to what I would have placed his value if you asked me a week ago. I certainly wouldn't have been willing to give up a 1st round pick for him.

Reactions: Oilhawks

CanmoreMike

Feb 27, 2002
#YEG
There's a flaw in this logic though in that every team has to lose a guy in the expansion draft. So not only does a team lose the guy that would have otherwise been selected in a deal for scraps, they also lose the next guy down the list. At the benefit of a mid round pick, they are now losing two players instead of one. It would only make sense if the team valued the next guy down the line less than they valued a 3rd, 4th or 5th round pick. For some teams that very well may be the case. But for most I doubt it.

Yup. I see your point. Buy I'll stand by and say there is giung to be at least a few teams that could fall into this category and it would be up to Ken Holland and his management team to flush them out.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Yup. I see your point. Buy I'll stand by and say there is giung to be at least a few teams that could fall into this category and it would be up to Ken Holland and his management team to flush them out.

True. There’s probably some opportunity out there for a savvy GM. Not sure I trust that to be our GM. But that’s probably a different conversation.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad