Prospect Info: 6th Overall Pick: Pavel Zacha

Status
Not open for further replies.

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
all i can say is, imagine if stefan was dealing with lou. serious deadlock

Mitch marner got performance bonuses and he was signed after Lou became GM. Supposedly it's because contract negotiations were already underway before Lou got there So he let it go according to Friedman.

Brooklyndevil

Jun 24, 2005
Freehold, NJ USA
it's not one800k bonus. It's multiple 200k+ bonuses that add up to 850k and the recent 6th overall picks have got it so why shouldn't zacha?

Thanks. I'd still tell him to beat it. Offer Zacha a few bonuses, he scores 20/25 goals he gets one bonus, another for games played and that's enough.

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
Yea it's going to happen just for the 92k signing bonus he will get but what I don't understand is the reservation on giving him the same contract as other 6th overall picks. At least contract details come out fast now so we'll know quick about the incentives in the contract.

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
If this is Shero trying to retain some of that Devils team-first sensibility, then I'm A-OK with that. Most young players need to prove that they can play within the system and be trusted on the ice before a coach will loosen the leash. The difference is when a player like Crosby comes along and produces enough to offset any other deficiencies.

Along those lines, what would worry me is if Shero is playing hardball because he legit expects Zacha to be a first-line forward for the Devils over the next 3 years.

Maine Fan

Defense Wins Chanpionships
Apr 19, 2015
Ocean Twp, NJ
If this is Shero trying to retain some of that Devils team-first sensibility, then I'm A-OK with that. Most young players need to prove that they can play within the system and be trusted on the ice before a coach will loosen the leash. The difference is when a player like Crosby comes along and produces enough to offset any other deficiencies.

Along those lines, what would worry me is if Shero is playing hardball because he legit expects Zacha to be a first-line forward for the Devils over the next 3 years.
This should have been done already but it is blocked by greed. Do we lose him if no contract? if not send him back for a year.

We don't even know if he is going to make the team. He what 18 years old. Don't give away the store. I agree with Shero holding out. It's Zacha's agent Stefan that is unreasonable IMO. He wants the max and easy to achieve bonuses. How old is Stefan what experience does he have negotiating contracts for players?

Last edited:

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
This should have been done already but it is blocked by greed. Do we lose him if no contract? if not send him back for a year.

We don't even know if he is going to make the team. He what 18 years old. Don't give away the store. I agree with Shero holding out. It's Zacha's agent Stefan that is unreasonable IMO. He wants the max and easy to achieve bonuses. How old is Stefan what experience does he have negotiating contracts for players?

If he isn't signed he just can't play in the NHL at all this year. He would most likely play in Sarnia and then we try again next year. We can sign him next year like we signed JQ.

Stefan is basically a rookie at being an agent, there was a story in this thread of many in the czech media mocking him for not getting this done already, and calling him incompetent for not knowing about the deadline where we had to pay 100K to his Czech team before a July deadline.

Burner Account

Feb 14, 2008
If he isn't signed he just can't play in the NHL at all this year. He would most likely play in Sarnia and then we try again next year. We can sign him next year like we signed JQ.

Stefan is basically a rookie at being an agent, there was a story in this thread of many in the czech media mocking him for not getting this done already, and calling him incompetent for not knowing about the deadline where we had to pay 100K to his Czech team before a July deadline.

Stefan has been an agent for 6+ years. He got his certification in 2008. I think Zacha might be his highest draft pick, though.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
Zacha has no leverage here and eventually, he and Stefan will realize it. You don't want to sign? Cool, we're not playing for a damn thing. Develop your game and come up a better player next year.

Granted, there's something to be said for cultivating a toxic negotiating atmosphere with a player from jumpstreet, but really if the big club is where Zacha wanted to be he wouldn't be demanding the max. I know fans want to see the new toy, but it's probably not the best move. For anyone.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
I think that the deal will be signed by the 15th deadline. Stefan is going to want Zacha to be able to play in the NHL next year, and Shero said in a TG article that the important thing is to make it so Zacha can play in the NHL next year, which indicates that he probably wants Zacha to be eligible to play at least a few game try-out.

Bologna 1

Aug 5, 2006
I think that the deal will be signed by the 15th deadline. Stefan is going to want Zacha to be able to play in the NHL next year, and Shero said in a TG article that the important thing is to make it so Zacha can play in the NHL next year, which indicates that he probably wants Zacha to be eligible to play at least a few game try-out.

Maybe shero is playing the don fehr wait it out til they cave game

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
TG's latest article made it sound like the bonuses were still the issue, but I'm not worried. I still think that the contract will be signed by the 15th deadline. Zacha and his agent will want a shot at him being in the NHL next season.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
I know it's way to early to think like this but I don't like that we are already dealing with financial demands from him.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
I know it's way to early to think like this but I don't like that we are already dealing with financial demands from him.

I do hope that he gets a different agent by the time his next contract rolls around, but on the plus side, I thought there might be trouble getting Larsson to sign a long-term deal and there really wasn't, and I was worried that Gelinas' agent would create more difficulties this year than he did. It's not good that there is financial conflict between Stefan and Shero so early, but I guess it doesn't necessarily have to carry over into any other contracts negotiated between them. Only time will tell. I appreciate your cause for concern, but I hope that it won't amount to anything. The Devils really need Zacha to become a good forward who wants to stick around long-term. Zacha seems to be a great kid; I wish he had a better agent, is all.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
financial demands that every 6th overall pick gets? How are they in the wrong here?

Zacha's agent can demand whatever he likes--that's his right in contract negotiations. It's just he may not get it (and need to compromise) or he risks not getting a deal done so Zacha can potentially play in the NHL next season. He doesn't have all the leverage, even if he thinks he does, so he might have to give up some ground or else his client won't have a shot of playing in the NHL next year.

Neither side is completely in the right or the wrong in my opinion, but Shero is willing to give bonuses, so I think Zacha's agent is going to have to budge a bit, and agree to something that doesn't entail all bonuses.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad