Prospect Info: 6th Overall Pick: Pavel Zacha

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
Everyone thought Gelinas was some selfish, money-hungry ******* when Lou and Lupien waited almost until training camp to get Eric's last deal done. Didn't seem to be much of an issue this time around.

mtnet

LGD!
Oct 31, 2014
As long as he's Zacha's agent, Stefan's going to be the brunt of so many of our jokes around here. :laugh:

They should let me talk to Stefan, he fears my username :laugh:

Let's hope cool heads prevail to get past any holdups taking place this week. I'm guessing devs mgmt already made their offers or counteroffers by now and agent zero is playing chicken with them over the bonus structure to see who flinches first. Problem with that is, Shero holds all the cards right now. That said, I just really hope Zacha gets a deal that has him and the organization getting started off on the right foot instead of any feelings of resentment. Everyone gets only one chance to make a 1st impression!

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey

Let's hope cool heads prevail to get past any holdups taking place this week. I'm guessing devs mgmt already made their offers or counteroffers by now and agent zero is playing chicken with them over the bonus structure to see who flinches first. Problem with that is, Shero holds all the cards right now. That said, I just really hope Zacha gets a deal that has him and the organization getting started off on the right foot instead of any feelings of resentment. Everyone gets only one chance to make a 1st impression!

Yes, hopefully an agreement is reached that satisfies both sides.

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto

remember stevens refused to report to devils camp back in the day and that worked out pretty fine i'd say

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Five more days till we find out just how much of a problem Stefan really is....and don't give me that this is Shero being a tightwad, he gave Larsson a more than fair deal with a far more complicated negotiation.

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
And fair here is what they are asking for. 850k in schedule a bonuses like every 6th overall pick. They aren't going out of the norm with the demands. They don't have to pay it if he doesn't hit it.

Unless they are asking for schedule b bonuses or something(TG hasn't reported that) it shouldn't be taking this long.

mtnet

LGD!
Oct 31, 2014
remember stevens refused to report to devils camp back in the day and that worked out pretty fine i'd say

True, though I'd struggle to find much to compare between the circumstances of how Stevens came to NJ vs. the Zacha scenario. There is however one universal theme between the two, and indeed with all team/player negotiations. At the end of the day it comes down to reason in the face of either lesser, uncertain, or even zero alternatives.

I do see what you mean though about starting off on the wrong foot possibly working out in the end, and I think Stevens finally came around to a reasonable position once he accepted the circumstances. He probably exhausted all possibilities for some other outcome behind the scenes before reporting in, only after realizing he plays for the devs now like it or not.

With Zacha he's just got to decide if he wants a taste of the big league or not next season if the devs are offering, so that ball is in his court. Perhaps management figures that's already an awfully tempting proposition for the youngster and believe they have a captive audience in Zacha right now so they can simply make a standard offer and stand by it.

The team will move on next season either way with no regrets...will Zacha feel the same if he passes on his first big shot? I think that's what management is counting on, the greater temptation to play if they've let him know he will get a chance to do so. I do want both of them to get what they want here though with no hard feelings.

Burner Account

Feb 14, 2008
Off the top of my head, this is Stefan's highest draft pick client. He has something to prove as an agent.

However, I seriously doubt he counsels his client to pass up an opportunity to play in the NHL at 18.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Unless they are asking for schedule b bonuses or something(TG hasn't reported that) it shouldn't be taking this long.

Well they probably are. And even now TG's not going to know every talking point of a negotiation.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
The amount of future money Zacha could lose by not signing this deal today will far outweigh the bonuses, even if i feel he wouldn't hit many of these bonuses. Personally I would love for him not to sign this year.

GhostofKenKlee

Stevens had an impressive resume and other reasons to not report. Totally different scenarios.

I remember this board was up in arms when a previous high pick was perceived to have been nickeled and dimed in Larrson. I really don't know what the hold up here is. If Zacha hits 60 points, great because this team needs broduction and broductivity.

Stefan has alot of leverage on Shero and he knows it. I will wait to see how this ends before even giving praise/critique.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
The difference is it was obvious what the holdup was with Larsson and whether you criticized it or not depended on whether you believed Lou's philosophy that rookies shouldn't get performance bonuses. There's no real reason to have a holdup now.

GhostofKenKlee

The difference is it was obvious what the holdup was with Larsson and whether you criticized it or not depended on whether you believed Lou's philosophy that rookies shouldn't get performance bonuses. There's no real reason to have a holdup now.

So who is at fault? You can go either way on this one.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
In their mind they do.

Again, there is still time only he and Werenski (whose going back to uni) let's see how this plays out.

Then Stefan is clearly the idiot we all think he is because he really doesn't have any leverage. Shero doesn't need Zacha this year, and imagine would be happy if he goes back to juniors and rip the league up like many posters here want.
This is ALL Stefan. I'm not even sure he knows the deadline is in 5 days. He didn't know about the penalty deadline with the Czech team.

Brooklyndevil

Jun 24, 2005
Freehold, NJ USA
Then Stefan is clearly the idiot we all think he is because he really doesn't have any leverage. Shero doesn't need Zacha this year, and imagine would be happy if he goes back to juniors and rip the league up like many posters here want.
This is ALL Stefan. I'm not even sure he knows the deadline is in 5 days. He didn't know about the penalty deadline with the Czech team.

If he knew or not, why should he care. It's not like the money is coming out of his pocket....Just saying. Unless you believe Shero will have him/Zacha pay in one way or another.

Comparison Ford

i got a star
Sponsor
May 25, 2008
LA
The amount of future money Zacha could lose by not signing this deal today will far outweigh the bonuses, even if i feel he wouldn't hit many of these bonuses. Personally I would love for him not to sign this year.

I'm on board with this too. As much as I would love to see him here (and actually think #37 would be perfect for him since he wore it in rookie camp), another year of junior to really steam roll thru the CHL would be monumental in his development.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad