Prospect Info: #69(nice)OA - Hurricanes select LHD Alexander Nikishin (Spartak - KHL)

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
In the NHL All Star Game that would be the 4th fastest winning shot ever - after Chara, Weber, and Iafrate.
To be fair, in the NHL the contest is done slightly differently, as they allow only few steps before taking the shot, but here Nikishin had all of the rink to accelerate before the shot - it makes the shot itself a bit more complicated to take, but adds to the shot speed.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
To be fair, in the NHL the contest is done slightly differently, as they allow only few steps before taking the shot, but here Nikishin had all of the rink to accelerate before the shot - it makes the shot itself a bit more complicated to take, but adds to the shot speed.

Noted. Still, he seems like a more dynamic skater than Weber or Chara, and seems to skate into his slapshots more anyway. So maybe it’s actually relevant to his game anyway?

Still, fun to have a guy with a shot like that as a legitimate weapon. Slapshots are used infrequently enough these days that you don’t know if he’s called “boom boom” because he actually has the hardest shot, or just because he’s the only one who uses it regularly. Seems like it’s the former, which is good.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Noted. Still, he seems like a more dynamic skater than Weber or Chara, and seems to skate into his slapshots more anyway. So maybe it’s actually relevant to his game anyway?

Still, fun to have a guy with a shot like that as a legitimate weapon. Slapshots are used infrequently enough these days that you don’t know if he’s called “boom boom” because he actually has the hardest shot, or just because he’s the only one who uses it regularly. Seems like it’s the former, which is good.
Based on the original footage we got of him he was really physical, stepping up for big hits a lot. I always figured the boom boom was about the hitting as his offense hadn’t really developed yet. Maybe both?

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
Ha, I think you’re right. I’m retroactively Geoffrion-ing his nickname.
1702136917203.png

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
God I'm remembering back to how that happened. I don't even remember the thread but my God the hot taeks in it
ya, it was a NYR poster named Boom Boom Geoffrion that said I didn't know anything about hockey because I scoffed at his statement that he wouldn't trade something like Callahan(or Dubinsky), Del Zotto and ? (can't remember if it was Callahan/Dubinsky, Sanguinetti, or Rozsival or someone else) for Ovechkin. He went off.

Our own Kahz / Anton made a legendary GDT off of that.

I immediately switched my username to Boom Boom Anton. I've used Aho, Apathy, Anton, etc.. over the years.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com

Discipline Daddy

Brentcent Van Burns
Nov 27, 2009
Raleigh, NC
12+29 after 52 games. Overall fewer points than it was last season but one more goal in 13 fewer games.
Just checked the math, and SKA St Petersburg is scoring 3.12 goals per game this year, compared with 3.57 last year. It looks like the team has fewer offensive threats this year. The good news is he was near the top of team scoring last year, and is currently tied for the lead this year. I haven't watched a single game but I can confidently rank Alexander as tied for our second best prospect when sorted alphabetically by first name.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad