GDT: #67 – Sabres at Maple Leafs – Mon Mar 7, 7:30PM ET – MSG-B, Bell TV

Sabretooth

May 14, 2013
Ohio
No it isn't. Playing in front of the net was Vanek's game from college to the AHL to the pro's. He produced at a very high level doing it (one of the top PP goal scorers for years). Sam in front is one of Disco's pet projects thats a nice story. But Sam's playmaking and vision are on an entirely other level than what he can do in front of the net. They were his bread and butter offensively until Disco got his hands on him. Its the same reason he should be a center not a wing. But thats a discussion for another day.

That's kinda always been disco's thing, so it's not too surprising. I don't know if he thinks he can outsmart the obvious, or if he just over thinks things, or if he's just oblivious or stubborn. But he always has his things he sticks to, even if it seems obvious to anyone that it's either not working or another option would look better. At least Reinhart in front of the net has had some measure of success this year, but our PP obviously hasn't been great for some time. I don't think Jack is the best option for distributing the puck around from the point, but what do I know.

Not to continue harping on Disco, but last night we also saw the phenomenal 4th line shift, down by 1, after an icing. He used to do that **** all the time in Pittsburgh. Seems obvious to me, simple hockey-minded that I am, that should be the time you want to send out your best offensive weapons to take advantage of some tired players. And if your top line just had a shift, send out your second best scorers. I don't understand why you would ever send out a 4th line after an icing playing from behind. It's an offensive zone faceoff where you know the other team is going to want to change as soon as the zone is cleared. Bring all the offense. It shouldn't be that hard.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
This guy is great. Does anyone else think he sounds a bit like Charlie Day when he gets a bit manic?

I've watched every single one from this year and most from the older ones.

BIG Leafs homer, but for his job, he does a good job. He can be funny sometimes. I think my favorite was his Hasek Hall of Fame year one.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad