Post-Game Talk: #6| Tampa Bay Lightning @ New York Islanders | June 23RD | 8:00 PM | F/OTW 3-2

Status
Not open for further replies.

crasherino

May 9, 2013
The Lightning block so many gotdamn shots its unreal. Their structure in front of their goaltender is really solid.
But somehow - unlike us - manage to pressure the point and force them to move quickly.

Usually its one or the other. Pack it in tight or put pressure on the outside. They really are effective getting in the shooting lanes. I'd like our guys to get the puck on net quicker but they usually don't have a lane and nothing good comes from putting the puck off the opposing team's shin pads.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Awesome experience!!! Also, shame on you for starting the beer bottle throwing!!!

I can promise you it wasn't me. Such a shame. Most of the hockey world has great respect for how passionate we all are, and then you see a bunch of mental cavemen chucking items out on the ice with no regard for any consequences and then we look like morons.

I keep thinking....What if the Lightning won in overtime? I guarantee those beers and shit would've still come raining down and then with the teams/coaches doing handshakes it could've gotten so very ugly.

I honestly wish Malkin/Ledecky/Lou would instruct the appropriate people to go though the tape and anyone they can identify as throwing beer/dangerous item on the ice would have their tickets revoked/fine/whatever.

That cannot happen again.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Barzal also hooked the shit out of a TB player to buy Ebs more real estate after the drop pass, that's a veteran "gray area" move.
We are going to need some more of those in game 7, we still have not played our best game this series. The way things ended last night, and we were almost sold out by the Ref on the Maroon highstick to himself that Martin was called for. That could have ended the season. The tide may be turning, coming back 0-2 almost never happens against TB, and killing a late penalty bad call and all against them doesn't either, TB are probably kicking themselves that the series is not over. It may be hard for them to recover, a perfect storm may be rising. Fingers and hearts crossed. We are in the End Game now.

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
Kings fan here in peace ( I think/ hope most of you remember me by now)

In case you don't know about this, it is a live stream from yesterdays game. I cued it up to the best part

Also - Mad respect for not only your team but your fans last night. The Coliseum was rocking out with it's cock out! Well done Isles fans!!! I am looking forward to Game 7 being WW8 on the ice

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Just hope Seattle takes Mayfield is something I read after pretty much every regular season game. Wait til he's gone and see what a 1.4 million Dman looks like that replaces him. It's a shame some fans don't see the bigger picture.

These playoffs Mayfield has solidified he's a keeper. Pelech, Pulock, and Mayfield. Expose Leddy. You couldn't trade him and his 5M cap hit for nothing right now anyway. And he's a UFA after next season. Seattle probably won't even take Leddy anyway because of the cap hit and instead take someone like Dal Colle/Bellows as they are much cheaper and they may think they can get something more out of them as they are young.

Reactions: The Real JT

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Imagine if you from four weeks ago traveled to the future and saw this was a post you wrote.

Is that you, Periferal? All jokes aside, Mayfield has been our best defenseman in this series. Back to back years with a G7 GWG for Scotty? :sarcasm:

Not really shocking. I've always loved Mayfield's attitude/compete/physicality, but in the past his giveaways/icings were killers. He's cleaned the giveaways up a bunch so I'm just calling out what I see based on the work he's done. All credit to him, but still needs to stop with the icings.

Also has to be said...We are totally backed into a corner with our cap this offseason so while you'd like to make all your hockey decisions based solely on the talent of a player, we really do need guys who are cheap and they don't come cheaper than Mayfield. But again he's rounded out his game and totally worth keeping based on that game (and especially because of the contract given the cap situation).

Steve55

Aug 21, 2005
Burnaby, BC, Canada
During the 3rd intermission, I flipped from Sportsnet to TSN to watch Dodgers-Padres. 11 seconds elapsed in OT when I flipped back to Sportsnet, just in time for Beauvillier's winner that sent the Coliseum crowd into a FRENZY.

Reactions: beach

The Real JT

Louie louie, oh no, me gotta go
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
I just saw the Kucherov check on Barzal. It looks like he hurt his left wrist against the board ledge on that hit. The Mayfield cross check has nothing to do with his injury.
That was my initial impression and it remains the same.

Kucherov tried to be a tough guy (which he's not) and rough up a smaller player but he f'ed it up and hurt himself in the process.

As for the Mayfield hit: It could have been called a penalty but there are a dozen or more of those every game, or should I say every period. He's been the recipient of worse hits that weren't penalized.

Couldn't there be a single NBC analyst that came to the same conclusion that Kucherov hurt himself?

Reactions: goal1228

teknics

@islesblogger/@faithfulisles
Apr 7, 2007
East End
www.theislesfaithful.com
That was my initial impression and it remains the same.

Kucherov tried to be a tough guy (which he's not) and rough up a smaller player but he f'ed it up and hurt himself in the process.

As for the Mayfield hit: It could have been called a penalty but there are a dozen or more of those every game, or should I say every period. He's been the recipient of worse hits that weren't penalized.

Couldn't there be a single NBC analyst that came to the same conclusion that Kucherov hurt himself?

Eddie originally did but then they showed the cross check and he changed his mind and also his opinion of said check.

JKP

Sep 19, 2004
Halifax, NS
Not really shocking. I've always loved Mayfield's attitude/compete/physicality, but in the past his giveaways/icings were killers. He's cleaned the giveaways up a bunch so I'm just calling out what I see based on the work he's done. All credit to him, but still needs to stop with the icings.

Also has to be said...We are totally backed into a corner with our cap this offseason so while you'd like to make all your hockey decisions based solely on the talent of a player, we really do need guys who are cheap and they don't come cheaper than Mayfield. But again he's rounded out his game and totally worth keeping based on that game (and especially because of the contract given the cap situation).
I've always felt the giveaway per game and the occasional brain fart icing were offset by all the heavy lifting and dirty work he does in front of the net that doesn't get seen as much. For the 1M+ he makes, I've been more than happy with him.

And I look at the icings as just practice for the PK... ;)

Reactions: danteipp and MJF

The Real JT

Louie louie, oh no, me gotta go
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
These playoffs Mayfield has solidified he's a keeper. Pelech, Pulock, and Mayfield. Expose Leddy. You couldn't trade him and his 5M cap hit for nothing right now anyway. And he's a UFA after next season. Seattle probably won't even take Leddy anyway because of the cap hit and instead take someone like Dal Colle/Bellows as they are much cheaper and they may think they can get something more out of them as they are young.
Agree regarding Leddy. Assuming he has no trade value, he'll be exposed.
I'm not as sure as you that he won't be picked though you're still probably right.

The Isles need to shed salary and Eberle make the most sense to leave unprotected. Although Team Lou/Trotz don't seem to think much of Bellows, I see him getting picked before Eberle. Unlike MDC, Bellows still has that dreaded word "potential".

My solution would be to protect or trade Bellows, even if it's for pennies on the dollar. Force Seattle to take Eberle.

Even with losing Eberle, salary still needs to be shed. Any volunteers for LTIR?

Are you listening Lou?

Last edited:

Goombha

Raging Ryan
Aug 27, 2013
I've always felt the giveaway per game and the occasional brain fart icing were offset by all the heavy lifting and dirty work he does in front of the net that doesn't get seen as much. For the 1M+ he makes, I've been more than happy with him.

And I look at the icings as just practice for the PK... ;)

Teach Ross Johnston to play defense in the off season and - wallah! - you have Mayfield's replacement.

Camille the Eel

I sure hope the bolts are reading their rave reviews and thinking of their 8 zip blowout when they take the ice tomorrow. They are fat, self satisfied, overconfident, think they can just throw their Jerseys on the ice and proceed to the finals. I sure hope a bounce or two goes our way early tomorrow. Then it will be on to the finals. The Isles have nothing to lose at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad