Speculation: 6 points out of playoffs

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
I think there is a high probability that one or both of Bert and Vrana are gone whether we are in the hunt or not. I just think it'll lean more hockey trade than a pure dump if we are really close.

Everyone else except maybe Maata or Walman (d can some crazier returns at times) gets us midling picks that usually don't amount to much. The only forward we probably get a 2nd or above for is Bert. So I don't really care that much about non Bert deals. He is the only one (minus Larkin, who I think will be resigned) who I'd be upset if we lost for nothing.

Hardest stretch of the season and needing probably 5 or 6 wins minimum, makes me lean towards us not being in it. Even if we are in it though, I wouldn't expect Stevie to do anything unless a nice hockey trade presented itself.
I thought Bertuzzi can fetch better than Tatar

nhlisawesome

Oct 26, 2019
Making the playoffs this season would be absolutely incredible and have to earn Lalonde the Jack Adams award. I'll just keep watching every game and hope for a Detroit win no matter what.

Reactions: dalem177

GMR

Jul 27, 2013
Parts Unknown
1676496162837.png

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
They have to show an ability to build off the wins against Vancouver and carry on that momentum. Start putting together some 5 or 6 game winning streaks, winning 7 or 8 out of 10, more than just treading water.
I have my doubts, even though I like what I'm seeing lately (scoring depth, Seider playing incredible, Husso returning to form, Bert getting up to speed etc).

Biggest question is honestly if Vrana can step in and add that scoring touch the team has been missing.

At least it doesn't likely that they'll collapse down the stretch like they did last year.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
I’d love to see yzerman sell and buy this TDL.

Sell off pieces like Bert + Maatta for picks then go get Meier on a sign and trade.

Yes it’s a pipe dream, and no, I probably don’t want to pay the cost to acquire Meier, but it would help bolster the team for the long term while offsetting the cost to do so.

Another target of this nature could be Dante Fabbro.

Meier Larkin Raymond
Perron Copp Berggren
Ras Veleno Vrana
Fabbri Suter Kubalik

Walman Seider
Fabbro Hronek
Chairot Lindstrom

Last edited:

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
I don't think it matters much what the standings say.
1: Trade assets for better assets.
2: Trade expiring assets for futures.
3: Get players who are young enough to help for 5+ years. Not 43-year-olds.
This stuff all just makes sense and it's what Yzerman is going to do regardless of if we're actually making the playoffs in 23 or not.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
They have to show an ability to build off the wins against Vancouver and carry on that momentum. Start putting together some 5 or 6 game winning streaks, winning 7 or 8 out of 10, more than just treading water.
I have my doubts, even though I like what I'm seeing lately (scoring depth, Seider playing incredible, Husso returning to form, Bert getting up to speed etc).

Biggest question is honestly if Vrana can step in and add that scoring touch the team has been missing.

At least it doesn't likely that they'll collapse down the stretch like they did last year.
This year's roster is far superior to the last year's one. I don't think they will collapse like last year.
The schedule is incredibly tough so making playoffs is probably just mathematically possible.

I don't think we outplayed our opponents last 3 games as the score indicates, but the team finally learned to play smart. I believe we got outshot 105ish to 80ish yet we outscored them 13 to 4. This is crazy.
We have already 3 very difficult games ahead of us.

GMR

Jul 27, 2013
Parts Unknown
The better question is, how in the hell will Detroit compete in the Atlantic division in the near future? Boston, Toronto, and Tampa are loaded.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
It's not winning any Hot Take Awards, but it costs nothing to simply evaluate all their options and wait (possibly to the last minute) to see where the market is at.

If somebody is offering the moon for a player Detroit might trade, then go ahead and get some assets. But if it's a buyer's market and the Wings are right on the doorstep to catch Washington, I wouldn't be mad to at least stand pat, versus getting a mediocre return on anybody and sputtering out down the stretch.

Or just go the HFB route and be dramatic. Sell everybody! Buy everybody! Trade the arena while we're at it! :D

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
The better question is, how in the hell will Detroit compete in the Atlantic division in the near future? Boston, Toronto, and Tampa are loaded.
Boston and Tampa are aging, Boston Moreno.
Toronto may collapse if AM leaves.

Good teams aren't good forever

Reactions: 14ari13

jfrank21

Oct 1, 2009
The key will be Boston and Tampa aging out and managing the cap better than Toronto did so that we have superior depth and defense. Regardless, I think those of us pining for the Detroit division dominance of yesteryear will have to come to the realization that it probably will be more like a dogfight for the division each year regardless of how well we draft and that we'll be lucky to see a cup sometime in the next decade.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Sparkplug
Feb 29, 2020
The key will be Boston and Tampa aging out and managing the cap better than Toronto did so that we have superior depth and defense. Regardless, I think those of us pining for the Detroit division dominance of yesteryear will have to come to the realization that it probably will be more like a dogfight for the division each year regardless of how well we draft and that we'll be lucky to see a cup sometime in the next decade.

That's probably the more realistic projection. We're in year 4 of Yzerman's project and barring a couple guys that turn into late round superstars this team probably develops more like the 2007 to 2019 St. Louis Blues. No truly dominant superstar (though I think Mo Seider has a really good chance at becoming that.) and really solid team depth leading to a bunch of 100+ point seasons and maybe a cup.

Reactions: jfrank21

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
I thought Bertuzzi can fetch better than Tatar
If he hadn't been injured all season, I definitely think he would have been a lock for a 1st. He is the exact kind of guy a real contender would love to add. (For that reason he still might). But Tats also had a deal in place already and I'm not sure if Bert/Stevie have the relationship to do a sign and deal or pre negotiations before the trade.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Are we playing Vancouver anymore? Honest question, because if the answer is no, we aren't making the playoffs. 4 game win streak sure, but VAN is a hot mess right now, and if we played an actual team we easily could have lost both. We played half a game against EDM, and without a couple freebies from Campbell we lose 4-2. Are we getting those gifts against all teams and winning with the way we played last night, I doubt it. If we don't sell our assets it will be a mistake with very little short term gain if any!

WSH, PIT will likely both be adding as well at the deadline and our currently better teams than we are. The Isles and Fla likely add as well. Unless Steve has some big move for now, we need to be selling even with us close to the final WC spot. Anyone watching our team can see it is not good enough to go anywhere in the playoffs. Our 3rd pair is atrocious and we have no scoring outside Larkin's line.

Also have 4 games in hand on Washington and 5 games in hand on the Islanders and Florida.

Yes, but one we aren't winning all of those games, and those teams aren't losing all of theirs. We already are on a 4 game winning streak, which is as many as we have had all year, meaning we are due for a loss or 3. I want playoff hockey too, but I don't think we make it even if we trade no one, and then we have less assets to make us better for the future to boot.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016

Boston is done, when Bergeron leaves. Marchand is also getting up there. TB will slow too as there top 3 or 4 guys are starting to age and in 3-4 years time will be vets on their back legs of their careers.

I bet we could get Scotiabank Centre and a 1st from the Leafs for LCA.

Plus, we might get Arizona's for a conditional 82nd round pick in 1934!

• Haha
Reactions: lilidk and SoupNazi

Electric Eric

#91 To the Rafters!
Feb 10, 2014
Portland -> Netherlands
That's probably the more realistic projection. We're in year 4 of Yzerman's project and barring a couple guys that turn into late round superstars this team probably develops more like the 2007 to 2019 St. Louis Blues. No truly dominant superstar (though I think Mo Seider has a really good chance at becoming that.) and really solid team depth leading to a bunch of 100+ point seasons and maybe a cup.

I mean Pietrangelo was no slouch for that team.

Reactions: Frk It

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
Nashville might be an apt comparison too with all their stud dmen over the years. We seem to be trending that way with our crop (Ed, Johansson)

I don't forsee any superstar forwards in our future unless a trade happens

Reactions: lilidk

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
I'm enjoying the dopamine hit that comes with the Wings winning a few games, but the priority still needs to be acquiring assets that will help the team for years going forward.

Which means selling at the deadline if there's deals to be had.

Reactions: sepster

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Only 4 points out of Oviless Washington, but team looks tired and I believe Buffalo is better team. Do we see Edvinsson this season?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad