GDT: #6| Philadelphia Flyers @ New York Islanders | September 3rd | 7:00 PM | F/OTL 5-4

Status
Not open for further replies.

MattMartin

Killer Instinct™
Feb 10, 2007
Long Island
PHILADELPHIA FLYERS AT NEW YORK ISLANDERS

NEW YORK ISLANDERS PHILADELPHIA FLYERS

GM 6 | SEPT. 3 | 7 PM | SCOTIABANK ARENA

WATCH: NBCSN | CBC | TVAS | NHL.TV

LISTEN: 88.7FM | 98.7 FM | 103.9 FM

Preview

The New York Islanders have won two series in the playoffs. In both cases, the Isles failed to get the job done in the first elimination game, only to do so the next time out. The Isles defeated the Florida Panthers, 5-1, and the Washington Capitals, 4-0, in those contests.

I’d normally say that’s a random trend that should probably be ignored, but in this case I think some credit needs to be given to Barry Trotz, the best coach in the NHL.

Teams always come out with added desperation in elimination games and coaches are more willing to experiment with some adjustments with their backs against the wall. Alain Vigneault did that in Game 5 by changing up Philadelphia’s forward lines.

The Islanders should be quicker to adjust to the Flyers’ changes in Game 6 and, as the home team, New York has the last change so it can get the matchups it wants.
The Islanders’ play has definitely wilted the last two games, but they were still able to earn a split.

The Flyers may have got the better of the Isles on the shot clock in Game 5, but the Islanders were still able to keep the Flyers from getting a lot of quality looks. Two of Philadelphia’s goals cam via brilliant deflections, including the overtime winner.

eqEeqXU.png

Playoff Series History

1974-1975

1975 NHL Semi-Finals: NYI vs. PHI | Hockey-Reference.com

1979-1980

1980 NHL Stanley Cup Final: NYI vs. PHI | Hockey-Reference.com

1984-1985

1985 NHL Patrick Division Finals: NYI vs. PHI | Hockey-Reference.com

1985-1986

1987 NHL Patrick Division Finals: NYI vs. PHI | Hockey-Reference.com

All Time Record VS Flyers

........................ALL GAMES...........................................................HOME.............................................................AWAY.....................................................PLAYOFFS.....................
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
W-L-T
WIN%
GFPG
GAPG
W-L-T
WIN%
GFPG
GAPG
W-L-T
WIN%
GFPG
GAPG
W-L
WIN%
GFPG
GAPG
122-155-2644.03.03.373-64-1553.03.33.049-91-1136.12.73.514-1646.72.83.1
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Probable Starting Goalies:

MNNvpqI.png

Possible Lineups:

90nQQGU.png

Team Leaders:

JXYRedP.png

Game 1 Recap

Islanders vs. Flyers - Game Summary - August 24, 2020 - ESPN

Game 2 Recap

https://www.espn.com/nhl/game/_/gameId/401239936

Game 3 Recap

https://www.espn.com/nhl/game/_/gameId/401239936

Game 4 Recap

Islanders vs. Flyers - Game Summary - August 26, 2020 - ESPN

Game 5 Recap

https://www.espn.com/nhl/game/_/gameId/401239940

Last edited:
Reactions: Kalv

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
I haven't liked the way they've played for 2 games, stretches here and there they went to work; overall, too much time spent in their zone. That is exhausting after 60 mins. They need a lot more O zone time and less reliance on only generating chances through transition and obvious PHI turnovers.

As expected, Philly has played much harder than the Caps, NYI hasn't always elevated their play enough in this series. Again, flat for long stretches, beaten to pucks, and battles lost. That should not be happening from a team based on work ethic. Want to see Cizikas pick up his play, he was built for these kinds of situations.

Barzal has to play (even w/ impaired vision), chances of a win drop enough b/c he can actually establish O zone time for long periods. Definitely anxious about his status and NYI's level of play. They normally respond well after poor games, but PHI will be revved up. All a team needs is a glimmer of hope, PHI now has that.

IslesCLT

Apr 25, 2019
Charlotte
Need to bring the game to them early, no more of this waiting for them to bring it to us. Tough forechecking, take away the middle in our zone, and jump on our opportunities. Need to push out to the point more too as they've had too much success with long range shots/tip ins.

If we give our best effort, we win. If not, we're in serious trouble

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Expect to grind out 3 periods tonight. Come out strong, get pucks to the net early in the 1st. Hopefully one or 2 get past Hart and we can rattle the kid a little. It's balls to the wall time.

LGI

Reactions: buud

nickp91

Jun 29, 2011
We've been waiting so long to get to this point 27 years to be exact!

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
I'm scared, someone tell me why I shouldn't be.
Gotta admit that hours before the puck drop and I am already nervous.
I am hoping for a 60 minute effort from the isles tonight. Don't let this go to a game 7.

Let's go Isles

Reactions: NYI365

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
I'm scared, someone tell me why I shouldn't be.

One thing that gives me confidence is that the Isles have truly been the “better” team in this series.

While some Flyers fans will suggest that the Isles have benefitted from the Flyers not playing up to their own standard... consider that the only games the Isles have lost are games that they trailed by multiple goals. Yet the Isles dictated the play in order to get back in the game.

That tells me that the Isles are the team that hasn’t always been up to their standard. When the Flyers have done well, the Isles have completely matched or superseded them.

So what does that mean for this game and the rest of the series? That it’s theirs to win or lose. Not guaranteeing that the Isles will win, but they are more LIKELY to win if both teams play their complete game.

Reactions: TMI and NYI365

Tahoeblue

Nov 29, 2019
Reno/Tahoe
Play a complete 60 minute game boys. Forwards have to establish position when getting to the net and the D has to get pucks to the net. We seem to be struggling to do that. Team needs to pump their legs and keep moving and attack the o zone in waves and force their D to hear footsteps. LGI

Reactions: BelovedIsles

Tahoeblue

Nov 29, 2019
Reno/Tahoe
Need to bring the game to them early, no more of this waiting for them to bring it to us. Tough forechecking, take away the middle in our zone, and jump on our opportunities. Need to push out to the point more too as they've had too much success with long range shots/tip ins.

If we give our best effort, we win. If not, we're in serious trouble
This is right on. I know the team plays a solid d structure: however, I didn't like the lack of jump as well in the last 2 games. The Isles need to dictate the play and force the Flyers to adjust. I would like them to play to win, not to be afraid to lose or be timid. This game is also played between the ears. BT I believe will have them focused.

NYI365

Let's Go Islanders!
Jun 5, 2011
Merrick, NY

Looks like regardless of what happens with Barzal we could see a couple other changes as well. Maybe Boychuk in for Leddy/Greene??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad