Post-Game Talk: 5TH WIN IN A ROW! Caps (10-8-1, 21pts) @ Preds (10-5-2, 22pts) 11/14/17

Status
Not open for further replies.

Detelethisaccount

Jul 5, 2013
My apologies to Kevin Fiala!! I was rough on him after he was drafted but, he’s really matured and is playing a great and underrated game.

I owe a similar apology to Craig Smith, have been very hard on him last couple of years, but he might be playing the best hockey of his career right now. Have been several games this year where he didn't score and still made a positive impact, which is not something you have been able to say about him very often. He definitely seems more confident this year, doesn't seem to be beating himself up over every missed opportunity. I was convinced that he was just not going to work under Lavy, but this year has been different so far, let hope he can keep it going.

Reactions: predhead1

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
60 minutes. Plus if you need it. Give your all.
That first 20 minutes was one of the best periods of hockey I've ever seen. Some of the stick work was superb and so creative. I liked the come back attitude when the Caps tied it and the shut down effort in the third. Check.
We want tacos.
Actually I was talking about 5 WINS in a row, but hey, I'll take 5+ goals, too. Check.
Ekholm, I expect extra fierce competition from you--remember what Trotz said about you and make him PAY.
On the play of rookie Mattias Ekholm, Trotz was brief. “I thought he was horrible, just horrible.” When it came to the host of younger guys he’s playing and having them deal with the likes of the Sedins and Ryan Kesler, Trotz was dead-nuts direct. “You’re going to have to line up against the best in the league, if you’re scared of that, get a dog.”
Barry Trotz: If you’re scared of playing in the NHL, get a dog
Check.
I forget what big milestone / whatever it is that Ovechkin is chasing. Make sure he doesn't achieve it here. It'll be hard--he's a tricky one.
Hell, I don't care now. We won. I don't even care that Subban didn't get me a point in the NPPG. Check.
Focus.
Win the game.

Check

A good night. We get super duper pie, my Derby Winner Pie--with ICE CREAM (since it's never too cold for ice cream)

sparkle twin

Jul 31, 2002
Smashville, TN
Well that was fun! :handclap::yo:

That first period was dang impressive! Talk about being ready to play literally right from the opening faceoff! Great to see us actually score after getting all those early chances. I was worried a little just because Holtby is so good, but they started getting the tips, deflections, and screens and made it a rough night for Holtby.

JR might have been impressed with the caps come back, but I was impressed with OUR answer. That shift after the caps tied it 2-2 was impressive. Forsberg was on another level. He just looked dominant tonight.

But.... Josi, Ekholm, Forsberg did look like they got a little lazy on the caps 3rd goal. They got their 2 goal lead back and then relaxed too much.

Smith, Fiala, Turris were flying again. To have 2 offensive lines that are actual, real threats to score is fun!

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
I've taken a liking to the SMURF line (SMith, tURris, Fiala).
No,no, no no

Smurf became a term of derision on these boards long ago, largely due to a poster obsessed with having big tough players

We have Turris and The Turd. Have seen Fiala called FiFi which i don't really care for.
We gotta do better...

Reactions: NoNecksCurse

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
No,no, no no

Smurf became a term of derision on these boards long ago, largely due to a poster obsessed with having big tough players

We have Turris and The Turd. Have seen Fiala called FiFi which i don't really care for.
We gotta do better...
ah coldchickory. does he still post? smurf line is a no go. scott nichol was a smurf. i like TurFS best so far.

GeauxPreds

Jul 5, 2013
I feel like a hockey grinch here. why do we need a nickname, can we just call them our second line? We finally have a very good second line and its like everyone wants to avoid it by giving them some dumb nickname just because the announcers last season forced Jofa down our throats

Reactions: AdmiralsFan24

Mortiest Morty

Feb 6, 2017
I don't think 2 weeks of really good hockey makes up for three consecutive years of declining play. I hope he has officially turned it around though. I had such high hopes for him when he topped 50 points playing mostly with Nick Spaling and Gabriel Borque, that was a hell of a season for him.

Reactions: FierceFalcon

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
With Smith's past history he's just as likely to go the next 20 without scoring a goal as he is to score another 6. His slumps have been remarkable in the past so I'm not holding my breath that he has broken through.

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
With Smith's past history he's just as likely to go the next 20 without scoring a goal as he is to score another 6. His slumps have been remarkable in the past so I'm not holding my breath that he has broken through.
The difference here seems to be the effort level. He seems to have that Arvidsson effort that he never had before.

wadesworld

Jan 24, 2011
Nashville, TN
The difference here seems to be the effort level. He seems to have that Arvidsson effort that he never had before.

I disagree. He's always had that effort. That's the only way he has traditionally gotten goals.

Except last year. I said a couple of times last year it looked like he had decided that since Arvidsson was the hardest worker on the team, he didn't have to be any more.

But now he looks like he's back to the old Craig Smith level of effort. And better yet, he seems to have improved his skill a little bit. He's now showing a bit more quick release and no longer just banging the puck as hard as he can in the general direction of the net.

Oh, agreed. I fully expect him to go into a long slump and be the target of derision again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad