Post-Game Talk: 59 minutes ain't enough - Preds @ Stars, 1/6/24

Status
Not open for further replies.

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Near where sand and waves meet.
Thats pretty much what i imagine the forward lines. Sherwood has been slipping are Guiranov has been great in the AHL.

Sherwood is a streaky energy guy who is on goal drought that is entering its 6th week. Our middle six (honestly, the entire team) as a whole is struggling 5on5 with only 20 goals scored 5on5 since the start of December.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Sherwood is a streaky energy guy who is on goal drought that is entering its 6th week. Our middle six (honestly, the entire team) as a whole is struggling 5on5 with only 20 goals scored 5on5 since the start of December.

Point droughts
Parssinen- 9 games
Smith - 6 games
Sherwood - 9 games
Trenin - 7 games

Tomasino, McCarron, and sissons got points last game but were coming off of 4, 4, and 3 game droughts respectively. Whole bottom 9 have had a rough stretch. Sherwood brings alot of hits to the party but his ice time got cut hard this last game

wmupreds

Dec 15, 2022
Sherwood is what we knew he is. He works hard but he's a 28yo tweener who would not be occupying a regular roster spot on a true contender.

I'm not trying to knock him (he's still better at hockey than most of us will be at anything lol) but he's a placeholder until guys like Kemell and Svechkov are ready.

Doubt Gurianov is the answer either.

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Point droughts
Parssinen- 9 games
Smith - 6 games
Sherwood - 9 games
Trenin - 7 games

Tomasino, McCarron, and sissons got points last game but were coming off of 4, 4, and 3 game droughts respectively. Whole bottom 9 have had a rough stretch. Sherwood brings alot of hits to the party but his ice time got cut hard this last game
I worry less about the 4th line going a few games without a point or goal. They get paid to bang and eat minutes. Any goals they score are tertiary.

The top line is getting some goals 5on5 ... the middle six has 8 goals 5on5 in 17 games dating to the start of December. Novak hasn't put one in the net since prior to his injury. Sherwood without a goal since Thanksgiving week. Pärssinen with one 5on5 goal since December started.

I have no belief that Gurianov is the answer for the middle six but we're at the point where Trotz and Bruno have to try something to get that group putting in some secondary scoring.

Sherwood is what we knew he is. He works hard but he's a 28yo tweener who would not be occupying a regular roster spot on a true contender.

I'm not trying to knock him (he's still better at hockey than most of us will be at anything lol) but he's a placeholder until guys like Kemell and Svechkov are ready.

Doubt Gurianov is the answer either.

Every team has that energy guy who can get hot and generate some secondary scoring for a while. The problem is that he's far from the only one failing to get 5on5 goals right now. 20 goals 5on5 for the team across the last 17 games is an issue. We aren't on the PP enough to count on it for a goal per game and we don't go into the final minutes with a lead often enough to feast on empty net goals.

Reactions: weeze

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
I worry less about the 4th line going a few games without a point or goal. They get paid to bang and eat minutes. Any goals they score are tertiary.

The top line is getting some goals 5on5 ... the middle six has 8 goals 5on5 in 17 games dating to the start of December. Novak hasn't put one in the net since prior to his injury. Sherwood without a goal since Thanksgiving week. Pärssinen with one 5on5 goal since December started.

I have no belief that Gurianov is the answer for the middle six but we're at the point where Trotz and Bruno have to try something to get that group putting in some secondary scoring.

Every team has that energy guy who can get hot and generate some secondary scoring for a while. The problem is that he's far from the only one failing to get 5on5 goals right now. 20 goals 5on5 for the team across the last 17 games is an issue. We aren't on the PP enough to count on it for a goal per game and we don't go into the final minutes with a lead often enough to feast on empty net goals.

I mean... if we go by pay structure what the hell does our bottom 9 get paid for if forsberg ror nyquist is the top 3 and glass is dinged upped/scratched? That leaves sissons who has always been a 3C defensive player that can pitch in offensively and trenin as our highest paid forwards then everyone else is under 1M. Tomasino isnt paid to bang and eat minutes but he is paired with players McCarron and Trenin who are so i guess by extension Tomasino is too? Guiranov isnt really the answer but more of a why not give it a shot. We signed him for a reason and he has done well in the AHL.

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
I mean... if we go by pay structure what the hell does our bottom 9 get paid for if forsberg ror nyquist is the top 3 and glass is dinged upped/scratched? That leaves sissons who has always been a 3C defensive player that can pitch in offensively and trenin as our highest paid forwards then everyone else is under 1M. Tomasino isnt paid to bang and eat minutes but he is paired with players McCarron and Trenin who are so i guess by extension Tomasino is too? Guiranov isnt really the answer but more of a why not give it a shot. We signed him for a reason and he has done well in the AHL.
The middle six are expected to provide secondary scoring .. and they're absent 5on5. We're getting a few goals from Forsberg and Nyquist with RoR without a 5on5 goal in 16 games .... then a disproportionate 5on5 contribution from McCarron and Tomasino on the 4th line (and Jankowski's goal during that cup of coffee stop he made with the team this season).

On the PP ... we're almost totally dependent on PP1. The guys who play middle 6 at ES aren't contributing there either.

If this team wants to stay in playoff contention then it needs to figure out how to boost primary ES scoring and get some consistent secondary across the middle six simultaneously ..... then we can look at both goalies giving up 4+ and the team letting teams just rush at the guys in the funny masks over and over.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Well, that's the gdt that the mods have made live, so if you want to see that one unignore him for the evening

• Haha
Reactions: bdub24

AintLifeGrand

Burnin Jet-A
Apr 8, 2009
GreatestSnowOnEarth
those lines are so stupid- Hinesian levels of stupidty

this is how you do it Brunette

Forsberg- ROR- Nyquist
Gurianov-Novak-Evangelista
Parsinnen-Sissons-Tomasino
Smith-Mcarron-trenin

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
those lines are so stupid- Hinesian levels of stupidty

this is how you do it Brunette

Forsberg- ROR- Nyquist
Gurianov-Novak-Evangelista
Parsinnen-Sissons-Tomasino
Smith-Mcarron-trenin

Looking at goal scoring over the past five weeks, Bruno has a better 2nd line. Novak's points per game since 1 December are worse than Cole Smith's at 5on5 ... Novak hasn't put a puck in the net since early November.

It's pretty obvious that that Bruno is keeping pieces together on the 4th line that contribute while together while trying to build a new second line.

AintLifeGrand

Burnin Jet-A
Apr 8, 2009
GreatestSnowOnEarth
Tomasino and Smith are doing more with less ES TOI. Vange is getting 11 more ES seconds per game. Execution matters. Novak hasn't scored a goal in two months.

What's your next excuse for him?
Bro why you always think you’re goddamn socrates with your line of questioning- you have conveniently overlooked the fact that he was injured from like early november to the 4th week of Advent… outside of a 3 game spell after returning from injury he has been generating points

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Bro why you always think you’re goddamn socrates with your line of questioning- you have conveniently overlooked the fact that he was injured from like early november to the 4th week of Advent… outside of a 3 game spell after returning from injury he has been generating points

Socrates is a proper noun, therefore deserves capitalization.

Secondly, yes he is getting a few assists however Novak is completely absent from the goal scoring column since November 4th. That was 20 games ago for him. This team was counting on him to contribute in that department and he is totally MIA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad