OT: 58th Obsequious Banter Thread - Something Something Leier

Status
Not open for further replies.

CodyTheHuman

Dec 31, 2014
California
I'll have you guys know that back in my video game prime I was ranked 44 on a 10,000 person Counter Strike server.

I'm absolutely terrible now.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
I opened this new Facebook account here so I could be careful with what I said and everything (not that I'm careless or anything otherwise, but just to be sure), with my students and other teachers on it, but I forgot that I put my birth date for the beginning of the month instead of the end, when it really is, to protect against identity theft (again, just in case lol). So all morning I have been getting birthday wishes from all my students and teachers and everyone, and I have no idea what to say, so I am just playing it straight :laugh:

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I'll have you guys know that back in my video game prime I was ranked 44 on a 10,000 person Counter Strike server.

I'm absolutely terrible now.

I just started playing CS a while ago and I love it. Since I was like 14 I only gamed on console (except for DayZ mod) so I never played 1.6 or Source.

CS is much harder and feels way more rewarding when you succeed than any other competitive game I've played. So addicting.

CodyTheHuman

Dec 31, 2014
California
I just started playing CS a while ago and I love it. Since I was like 14 I only gamed on console (except for DayZ mod) so I never played 1.6 or Source.

CS is much harder and feels way more rewarding when you succeed than any other competitive game I've played. So addicting.

I played 1.6 for a while, but I really started getting into it when Source came out. Basically all I would do all day was play CS: Source or Diablo 2. I ended up getting pretty good at both, but also pretty fat. I decided I no longer wanted to be fat and now I don't play video games as much. I'm also no longer fat, so that's good.

BringBackHakstol

Oct 25, 2005
Philadelphia
It obviously doesn't take the skill of a game like Counterstrike, but you're exaggerating the low skill cap by quite a bit. A good player can consistently stomp a mediocre player, so there definitely is a gap. Plus the games competitive scene is growing quickly and there's a clear separation between the top tier and then rest.

I'm positive I'm selling it short and being a lot harsher than needed. But **** it. I don't like it

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
I should try to get back into CS. I'm super ****ing bummed that Titanfall 2 has only like 2500 ish people left on PC when the game is getting amazing support and is a way better game than BF1.

With CS, in probably all iterations of that game, I have something like 5000+ hours put into it? I played original CS the most. Used to be good enough for CAL (an old league of professional level players) but never did anything with it.

BringBackHakstol

Oct 25, 2005
Philadelphia
I should try to get back into CS. I'm super ****ing bummed that Titanfall 2 has only like 2500 ish people left on PC when the game is getting amazing support and is a way better game than BF1.

With CS, in probably all iterations of that game, I have something like 5000+ hours put into it? I played original CS the most. Used to be good enough for CAL (an old league of professional level players) but never did anything with it.

I played CAL for CS and a few other games in my teenage years. Only got up to CAL-M in CS - which is still pretty legit although at the time cheating was incredibly rampant. I got wrecked bad in that league and it was short lived

I'm too addicted to PUBG now to play CS but CS:GO is great. Source was just horrible.

As nerdy as it is, watching pro CS:GO matches is actually really good entertainment

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
I played CAL for CS and a few other games in my teenage years. Only got up to CAL-M in CS - which is still pretty legit although at the time cheating was incredibly rampant. I got wrecked bad in that league and it was short lived

I'm too addicted to PUBG now to play CS but CS:GO is great. Source was just horrible.

As nerdy as it is, watching pro CS:GO matches is actually really good entertainment

Honestly, I enjoyed Source more than CS:GO, in terms the overall feel of the game. Like shooting and whatnot felt a little better in my eyes.

In OG CS, I really prided myself in accuracy. Using as few bullets as possible and being efficient. Usually top 10 in a lot of servers I played on (in terms of overall stats for people there) and usually first in accuracy. And I'm a person that refuses to use the AWP. I will never buy and use the AWP for anything in CS GO. I'd rather do a auto sniper because I feel it's more skillful than the one hit kill of the AWP.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
I remember playing Source back in the day and being pretty good at it. Then I took a couple years off while my friends continued to play.

Came back and got killed like 5 straight times from nades across the map by my buddy and a flash killed me at some point i'm pretty sure also.

I retired.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
200.gif

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
Ahh the good old CAL days. I was luckily enough to be in CAL-M for alittle for CS but my game was Halo PC for quite a few years. Played CAL for a few years on there, moved onto a site called KW (Klanwars) where I was able to win money, items etc. Played some local stuff where I played mostly kids that didnt play in a league so I guess technically wasn't too fair.

Ahh those were the days.

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ
I was top at a game. Long ago.

My team hovered around 3-4 best in the country. Part of an invite-only league (top ten teams in the game only). I was in five leagues. Took the chip in all of them (although the last one, took us forever to unseat the #1 team, I mean, FOR DAMN EVER) There are videos of me on Youtube that other people made. This predates Counterstrike, so, we only ever won like video cards and small change to cover server fees.

One team got a major sponsor once. Made up of big names. They lacked chemistry and maybe existed a few months before breaking up. We beat them and gave them grief (of course) because they were sponsored. The match wasn't even close.

One of my favorite things in life is a title shot match (for the biggest title) was shoutcasted by a company and broadcast over the internet. I still have the copies and watch it from time to time. Both rounds. We were heavy underdogs and won (we were maybe the 8th best team at the time, maybe even so far as 10th depending on how the predictors would look at it), but our strat was sound and the map really played to our strengths. Then we got the title match and lost handily unfortunately. Took years to finally win it.

I will say, there is a funny phenomenon. -- Maybe it has to do with self-doubt? Anyway, when you get really good, you do stay a little star-struck. For instance, we'd be playing team'o'famous people in that community. Then you realize due to the map you'll be taking on say, "MortimeR" or someone most of the match and you're kind of in awe of how good this person is. Then, even if you hand them their butt the majority of the game, you still kind of don't think much of it. That guy is still "MortimeR" or whatever. And you're just you, even if you took them to school, it doesn't really juice you up. It didn't me, anyway. Winning juiced me up. I wanted to destroy other teams. One league didn't respect our roster and put us in a placement ladder rather than put us straight into the top division. In placements you could face anyone of any level. Our first match we beat the opposing team 1110-70. They didn't keep us in placements long. And the egos in such communities are absolutely bonkers. Total jerks.

Last edited:

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

The skill gap between CAL-IM and CAL-M was huge.

My go-to HL mod was Day of Defeat.

Danko

You have no marbles
Jul 28, 2004
Anyone ever purchase a Hisense TV? Bestbuy has a deal for $349 for a 50 inch 2017 4k HDR model.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad