#57's top 150 + Sleepers

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
Been working on this for a while now. No scoutng report since it would be too long of a post, if you need any info about a player in particular just ask and I'll answer.

Tell me what you think. This will probably be my only list since I'm in a couple of fantasy leagues and don't really want to give away who I like/dislike..

We all have our opinions on certain players, so please don't turn this thread into a bashing fest. I would much rather create a couple of pages of discussion on my list and on the 2007 NHL entry draft.

Enjoy:

01 James Van Riemsdyk
02 Patrick Kane
03 Jakub Voracek
04 Alexey Cherepanov
05 Kyle Turris
06 Karl Alzner
07 Lars Eller
08 Mikael Backlund
09 Maksim Mayorov
10 Logan Couture
11 Zach Hamill
12 Thomas Hickey
13 Sam Gagner
14 Ryan McDonagh
15 Oscar Moller
16 Angelo Esposito
17 Patrick White
18 Kevin Shattenkirk
19 Colton Gillies
20 Luca :eek::eek::eek::eek:i
21 Simon Hjalmarsson
22 Colby Cohen
23 David Perron (2nd eligible year)
24 Billy Sweatt
25 Max Pacioretty
26 Mark Katic
27 Dana Tyrell
28 James O'Brien
29 Brandon Sutter
30 Nick Petrecki

31 Logan MacMillan
32 Keaton Ellerby
33 Joel Gistedt (2nd eligible year)
34 Ian Cole
35 Vladimir Ruzicka
36 TJ Brennan
37 Brett MacLean
38 Riley Nash
39 Jonathan Blum
40 Milan Kytnar
41 Alexander Killorn
42 Trevor Cann
43 Akim Aliu
44 Kevin Marshall
45 Joakim Andersson
46 TJ Galiardi (2nd eligible year)
47 Tyson Sexsmith
48 Jake Hansen
49 Eric Doyle
50 Sergei Korostin
51 Nick Ross
52 Mark Owuya
53 Niclas Lucenius
54 Yakov Seleznev
55 Brendan Smith
56 Stefan Legein
57 Teddy Ruth
58 Jeremy Smith
59 Maxime Tanguay
60 Bradley Malone

61 Nick Palmieri
62 Brad Phillips
63 Casey Pierro-Zabotel
64 Jens Hellgren
65 Ruslan Bashkirov
66 Alex Plante
67 Dale Mitchell
68 Yan Weber
69 Tommy Cross
70 Nico Saccheti
71 Ondrej Roman
72 Mike Hoeffel
73 Will Weber (Unranked by CSS)
74 Juraj Valach
75 Niclas Torp
76 Nick Spaling
77 Radim Ostrcil
78 Maxim Goncharov
79 Keven Veilleux
80 Alex Grant
81 Denis Reul
82 Lassi Kokkala
83 Antoine Lafleur
84 Maxim Gratchev
85 Trsitian Llewellyn
86 Mark Guggensberger
87 Michal Repik
88 Zack Torquato
89 Kent Patterson
90 Joe Lavin

91 Colton Sceviour
92 Spencer Machacek
93 Nick Larson
94 John Negrin
95 Ryan Hayes
96 David Stich
97 Linden Rowatt
98 Olivier Fortier
99 Eric Tangradi
100 Robert Bortuzzo
101 Timo Pielmeier
102 Taylor Ellington
103 Chris Didomenico
104 Josh Turnbull (2nd eligible year)
105 Mark Santorelli (Unranked by CSS)
106 Jason Gregoire
107 Drew MacKenzie
108 Jean-Simon Allard
109 David Skokan
110 Bradley Eidness
111 Justin Vaive
112 Evgeny Dadonov
113 Drayson Bowman
114 Aaron Palushaj
115 Justin LeClerc
116 Mario Kempe
117 Taylor Matson
118 Brent Regner
119 Luca Caputi
120 Vitali Karamnov

121 Fred Andersson
122 Ben Blood
123 Ben Ryan
124 Matt Marshall (2nd eligible year)
125 Josh Kidd
126 PK Subban
127 Blake Kessel
128 Dion Knelson
129 Kurtis Mucha
130 Matt Robertson (2nd eligible year)
131 Simon Lacroix
132 Matt Fillier
133 Joonas Jarvinen
134 Yves Bastien
135 Keith Aulie
136 Josh Unice
137 Oliver Lauridsen
138 Justin Falk
139 Michael Biega
140 Harri Ilvonen
141 Bryan Cameron
142 Justin McCrae
143 Paul Postma
144 Nicola Riopel
145 Roman Bashkirov
146 Juraj Mikus
147 Eetu Poysti
148 Ondrej Rusnak
149 Brett Sonne
150 Reid Ellingson

Top 15 SLEEPERS:

01 Igor Musatov
02 Adam Bezak
03 Juha Metsola
04 Nick Bonino
05 Etienne Froideveaux
06 Martin Ylven
07 Egor Averin
08 Andrei Stas
09 Branislav Horvath
10 Jori Lehtera
11 Mitch Fadden
12 Nikolai Lukyanchikov
13 Carter Camper
14 James Marcou
15 Dustin Gazley

Buffalo87

thehosers dot com
Mar 22, 2006
Rochester
Good list, I appreciate the time. If you could, could you tell me a little about the following players:

Patrick White
Max Pacioretty
Vladimir Ruzicka
Logan MacMillan
TJ Brennan
Riley Nash
Brett MacLean

Thanks a lot.

Anthony Mauro

DraftBuzz Hockey
Oct 3, 2004
www.draftbuzzhockey.com
I like the way you think. We are on the same wavelength's. I like Hickey, Moller, and White up there and Ellerby, Plante, and Blum down. (I do not like those three at all)

Minor disagreement is Petrecki the last of the first round but I can see why. Sutter could stand to be a little higher, but again I can see why.

loyst21

Jun 24, 2006
Windsor, ON
seems like i say it every time... but at least if they arent in the top 150, put dustin jeffrey and josh godfrey on the sleepers list!

Granlund2Pulkkinen*

Will Weber is a stud..

I'd love to see him do good.

VikingAv

Mediiic!!
Jun 18, 2006
Norway
I like it:) . Some big surprises, but that always happens. The lists and mock drafts popping up lately all vary alot, and just solidify most peoples opinion that this draft is wide open from spot 15-20 (?) and into the third round.

xander

Nov 4, 2003
Section A Lynah Rink
Visit site
Good list, I appreciate the time. If you could, could you tell me a little about the following players:

Riley Nash

this is what I posted in the other thread:

Here's a great HF article on him done in december. Since then he's seen his stock rise signifigantly. He recently he also committed to Cornell (which is the source of my interest) after a heated recruiting battle between the big red, denver, and north dakota.

I was hoping that the Rangers would finally oblige me and select a Cornell player, perhaps grabbing him in the second or third round, but that may be impossible now. The comparisons to Zajac would certainly intruige me, where I a gm, and I wouldn't be suprised if he vaulted up into the late first round, especially when you consider how wide open this years draft is.

On a seperate note, Riley's older brother Brendan, a 6'3" defensemen who just finished up his first year at Cornell, was recently named to the ECAC all freshman team. Inconsistant, but very talented, I'm shocked that Brendon hasn't been snatched up yet, and I would expect him to get taken in the later rounds this year. 6'3" defensemen that can skate and have decent hands tend to get drafted on principle.

VikingAv

Mediiic!!
Jun 18, 2006
Norway
So, everyone where beside their name his written 2nd eligible year, it mean they were available to be draft last year but htey wern't? Just like Andreas Nodl in 2006.

Yep, just like Nodl, and Trevor Lewis and Nikolai Kulemin i believe. There were plenty others too...

Buffalo87

thehosers dot com
Mar 22, 2006
Rochester
this is what I posted in the other thread:

Here's a great HF article on him done in december. Since then he's seen his stock rise signifigantly. He recently he also committed to Cornell (which is the source of my interest) after a heated recruiting battle between the big red, denver, and north dakota.

I was hoping that the Rangers would finally oblige me and select a Cornell player, perhaps grabbing him in the second or third round, but that may be impossible now. The comparisons to Zajac would certainly intruige me, where I a gm, and I wouldn't be suprised if he vaulted up into the late first round, especially when you consider how wide open this years draft is.

On a seperate note, Riley's older brother Brendan, a 6'3" defensemen who just finished up his first year at Cornell, was recently named to the ECAC all freshman team. Inconsistant, but very talented, I'm shocked that Brendon hasn't been snatched up yet, and I would expect him to get taken in the later rounds this year. 6'3" defensemen that can skate and have decent hands tend to get drafted on principle.

Yeah, I saw that. Thank you for the information, I was just looking for more of a scouting report.

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal

Patrick White
Max Pacioretty
Vladimir Ruzicka
Logan MacMillan
TJ Brennan
Riley Nash
Brett MacLean

Thanks a lot.

White plays in the USHL for Tri City. Hes a pretty complete player, skates well, nice wrist shot, nice defensive game, nice size and isnt afraid of traffic. He's a competitor and has been rising lately and I really like his all-around game.

Pacioretty I havnt seen much of, he plays in the USHL too and is a great offensive player, but also plays a good two-way game. White and him are still far from the NHL, but they have 1st line potential and are actually pretty safe bets to make it IMO.

Ruzicka plays in the Czech's U20 league, put up some nice numbers over there this year. He skates very well and has a very nice 6'1 196lbs frame. He's got soft hands, is good along the boards and is responsible defensively. I could see him developp into a very good 2nd liner in the future.

TJ Brennan is a riser, one of the top rookies in the Q this season. He's great all-around, and his offensive game is very good. He has a nice first pass and rarely makes mistakes. He'll have to improve his strenght, but I have no doubt he'll be a top-4 blueliner someday for an NHL team.

MacMillan exploded in the playoffs for Halifax with Voracek. He's well-known for his defensive game, but he showed he could produce offensively if put on a line with an offensive player. He could be a pretty good, two-way 2nd liner in the future, but more realistically one of the league's best 3rd liner. Think a John Madden type of guy.

Someone just posted an article on Riley Nash

Brett MacLean is a guy who has fallen a bit lately. He did well for Oshawa but played most of his time on the 2nd line (the top checking units where against the 1st and Tavares) and played on the PP with Tavares. I dont really like his skating, but he's got soft hands and is a dangerous player offensively.

I like the way you think. We are on the same wavelength's. I like Hickey, Moller, and White up there and Ellerby, Plante, and Blum down. (I do not like those three at all)

Minor disagreement is Petrecki the last of the first round but I can see why. Sutter could stand to be a little higher, but again I can see why.

Yeah, I realized a little while I go we had the same kind of opinions!

Petrecki I think isn't good enough for the new NHL - think Adam Foote. I'm sure you know enough about him to judge him though. As for Sutter, I think he could become a good NHL player, but I just think there are better prosects available at the tailend of the 1st.

BTW, who is Kytnar at #40 and Seleznev at #54. Don't think I've heard of them before....

Kytnar shined at the U18 and had some nice stats in the Slovak's Div I playing against men. Maybe he's too high but I just fell in love with him at the U18. For most of you guys he'd be a sleeper, but I just happen to think he's the next big Slovakian offensive star. I really like his offensive game, and he already has the size to compete. Watch out for him.

As for Seleznev, I actually don't really know a lot about him - I dont even know his style of play - never saw him, but I read something about him that made me think he had a lot of potential. He said he really wanted to come to N-A and play in the NHL, and that he was willing to do anything to get to his goal. I also heard he was a pretty smooth skater, and that he had a nasty side to his game.

Letang fan 58

No More Fleury
May 12, 2004
Canada
Closer to where I'd have him. Plante has been horribly overrated, IMO. Good list #57.

I would be surprised if he isnt picked up in the first round. He could go as high as 15 IMO. A tall, righthanded shooting dman with offensive skills who has the frame to grow into is not easily come by.

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
I would be surprised if he isnt picked up in the first round. He could go as high as 15 IMO. A tall, righthanded shooting dman with offensive skills who has the frame to grow into is not easily come by.

Yes but if you had the choice between a guy like Hickey, who's a smooth-skating offensive dmen, with a nice first pass and good hockey sense, and Plante who's big but plays soft, doesnt skate well and is a good offensive player, who would you pick?

Against Shattenkirk, who skates well, plays smart and is good all-around, who's a pretty safe bet to become a top-4 guy, can do it all, etc..

Against McDonagh who probably has the highest potential aside from Alzner, great at everything and is very defensively, can also put up points.

Against Cohen and Katic, two very similar players, very smooth skaters, can carry the puck from their own zone and make an intelligent play with the puck, nice offensive vision and hockey sense, good shot from the point and good first pass..

People need to realize this is the new NHL, slow and big like Derian Hatcher and Adam Foote were good back in the days, now it's Brian Campbell and J-M Liles, smooth skating, responsible defensively and very good offensively.

Juraj Valach plays in the same league as Plante, very similar players although I'd agree Plante has more upside, but I don't see anyone saying Valach is a 1st rounder, so...

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
seems like i say it every time... but at least if they arent in the top 150, put dustin jeffrey and josh godfrey on the sleepers list!

Actually those two are like 151st and 152nd on my list. I just happen to think there are better prospects before.

Keep an eye on Godfrey and Jeffrey, they could definitely sneak in the top 3 rounds - the draft is so wide oppen, basically anything can happen.

Amateur Hour

Jul 23, 2006
Negadelphia
Oscar Moller is my favorite player in this draft (as you can see from my avatar), and I think #15 is a good spot for him... I'm still praying he falls to the Flyers at pick #23, but that doesn't look so likely anymore.

The list itself is very good... great job. I have a different top 5, but nothing too drastic:

1) Voracek
2) Turris
3) Van Riemsdyk
4) Kane
5) Alzner

After all, with this draft, everyone's got a different jumble at the top.

I also think Kent Patterson (#88) is going to end up being the best goalie taken in this draft... I still can't figure out why he's so underrated.

A couple sleepers to add:

Colton Yellow Horn - LW - Tri-City Americans (WHL) <-- 3rd eligible year... just because I root for the little guy who defeats the odds. Oh, and his name's awesome, too.

Keegan Dansereau - RW - Calgary Hitmen (WHL) <-- 2nd eligible year

Andrew Clark - LW - Brandon Wheat Kings (WHL) <-- I'm surprised he's not part of your top 150, to be honest

Ryan DePape - RW - Prince Albert Raiders (WHL) <-- 2nd eligible year

Gianluca Caputi - LW - Mississauga IceDogs (OHL) <-- burst on the scene this past season... not ranked by CSS in final rankings (although he was #98 among NA skaters as of January)

Rob Kwiet - D - Toronto St. Michael's Majors (OLH) <-- 2nd eligible draft year

Justin DiBenedetto - LW - Sarnia Sting (OHL) <-- 2nd eligible year

Kaspars Daugavins - LW - Toronto St. Michael's Majors (OLH) <-- 2nd eligible draft year

Brandon Martell - D - Elk River High School (MN)

Juho-Peterri Purollina - D - HIFK (Finland U20)

Mikael Paunio - C - HIFK (Finland U20)

Roman Schlagenhauf - C - Kloten (Switzerland U20)

Marek Daloga - D - Zvolen (Slovakia U20)

Vladimir Bakika - C - Dynamo Moscow 2 (Russia-3)

Mihail Glukhov - LW - Mytischi (Russia)

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
Oscar Moller is my favorite player in this draft (as you can see from my avatar), and I think #15 is a good spot for him... I'm still praying he falls to the Flyers at pick #23, but that doesn't look so likely anymore.

The list itself is very good... great job. I have a different top 5, but nothing too drastic:

1) Voracek
2) Turris
3) Van Riemsdyk
4) Kane
5) Alzner

After all, with this draft, everyone's got a different jumble at the top.

I also think Kent Patterson (#88) is going to end up being the best goalie taken in this draft... I still can't figure out why he's so underrated.

A couple sleepers to add:

Colton Yellow Horn - LW - Tri-City Americans (WHL) <-- 3rd eligible year... just because I root for the little guy who defeats the odds. Oh, and his name's awesome, too.

Keegan Dansereau - RW - Calgary Hitmen (WHL) <-- 2nd eligible year

Andrew Clark - LW - Brandon Wheat Kings (WHL) <-- I'm surprised he's not part of your top 150, to be honest

Ryan DePape - RW - Prince Albert Raiders (WHL) <-- 2nd eligible year

Gianluca Caputi - LW - Mississauga IceDogs (OHL) <-- burst on the scene this past season... not ranked by CSS in final rankings (although he was #98 among NA skaters as of January)

Rob Kwiet - D - Toronto St. Michael's Majors (OLH) <-- 2nd eligible draft year

Justin DiBenedetto - LW - Sarnia Sting (OHL) <-- 2nd eligible year

Kaspars Daugavins - LW - Toronto St. Michael's Majors (OLH) <-- 2nd eligible draft year

Brandon Martell - D - Elk River High School (MN)

Juho-Peterri Purollina - D - HIFK (Finland U20)

Mikael Paunio - C - HIFK (Finland U20)

Roman Schlagenhauf - C - Kloten (Switzerland U20)

Marek Daloga - D - Zvolen (Slovakia U20)

Vladimir Bakika - C - Dynamo Moscow 2 (Russia-3)

Mihail Glukhov - LW - Mytischi (Russia)

Daugavins has been drafted last season by the Sens.

Theres a couple guys in there that are like, just outside of my top 150. Daloga, Paunio, Caputi (although he is ranked by CSS) and Clark.

Do you have any kind of info on the others? Especially Schlagenhauf, whos ranked pretty high by CSS?

Sam of Montreal

May 5, 2007
you raelly think gagner would be drafted that late?

In fact I hope gagner and esposito will both be drafted by #12 so that we don,t even have to think about them. I'd like shattenkirk from what I've read.

I just hope habs are going after a guy who has the upside to turn into a very good dman in years to come.. I don't think we have enough of those...while we're full on attack and goaltenders.

Amateur Hour

Jul 23, 2006
Negadelphia
Daugavins has been drafted last season by the Sens.

Theres a couple guys in there that are like, just outside of my top 150. Daloga, Paunio, Caputi (although he is ranked by CSS) and Clark.

Do you have any kind of info on the others? Especially Schlagenhauf, whos ranked pretty high by CSS?

I scoured the internet to see if Daugavins had been drafted... I couldn't remember, so I put him down anyway. Thanks for clearing that up.

Not sure how I missed Caputi on the CSS final ranking list... guess that's what happens when you only skim over things.

Anyway, I have some info about Schlagenhauf...

Roman Schlagenhauf (2007), C/LW

Tournament wrap-up: best Swiss passer (2 assists) .. tied with Gregory Sciaroni, Reto Suri, Adam Hasani and Tobias Bucher for leading Team Switzerland in points (2 points) .. an alternate captain .. caught the eye on a number of shifts in the first matchup against Canada with his agility and smooth stickhandling skills .. could create a handful of smart plays but wasn't a consistent factor .. repeated his performance also in the second contest against Slovakia .. could drive the net adequately hard and orientated himself well in the opposing slot .. performed as a left winger in the fifth-place game against Czech Republic .. showed an ability to maintain puck-possession in traffic with quick dekes .. a decent playmaking factor .. wasn't a physical menace but was willing to perform in traffic .. proved the tools in creativity and stickhandling to get a decent tournament rating.

Scouting: an okay skater .. possesses a decent first-step quickness .. shows a solid agility on his skates .. blessed with okay acceleration .. okay top-end speed .. should add more bulk to his lower-body .. emerges as a swift puckhandler with soft hands .. makes quick smooth moves .. likes to penetrate into the offensive zone with the puck on his stick and subsequently create plays .. solid at gaining offensive zone possession for his team .. doesn't loose puck-possession when deking his way out of the corners .. can play a sneaky game with the puck in traffic .. willing to perform in the opposing slot .. blessed with decent smarts and offensive instincts .. capable of quick tape-on-tape passes .. unleashes an accurate wrist shot with a fast release .. accurate snap shot could be harder .. doesn't use his slap shot very often .. capable of surprise moves when finishing in-close .. is willing to return to his own end to help out the defense, but needs to upgrade his defensive awareness .. average quickness of marking his man .. should improve on defensive positioning .. doesn't play afraid but isn't a significant physical force .. doesn't dish out many hard hits and relies more on his finesse skills .. prone to occasional off-shifts where he floats on the perimeter .. a versatile player who plays both center and left wing.

http://mckeenshockey.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=581843 (2006 U18 Jr. World Cup report)

Unfortunately, most of the other reports I found about him on the Internet are in languages I don't understand. I also have never gotten the chance to see him play, but, in addition to the above article, I've heard bits and pieces about his offensive creativity, willingness to play in traffic, and how the puck seems like it's taped to his stick when he has control of it. Schlagenhauf is a player with a wealth of offensive talent and flair who is still very raw and needs to grow into his body (6'1" 180), like many draft picks. He's not overly physical, but he's not a whimp, either. He'll take time to develop (don't expect to see him in the NHL for 3-4 years, at the very least), but whichever team is willing enough draft him and be patient will be greatly rewarded 5 years down the road.

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
you raelly think gagner would be drafted that late?

In fact I hope gagner and esposito will both be drafted by #12 so that we don,t even have to think about them. I'd like shattenkirk from what I've read.

I just hope habs are going after a guy who has the upside to turn into a very good dman in years to come.. I don't think we have enough of those...while we're full on attack and goaltenders.

its not a mock draft, its a ranking.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad