Post-Game Talk: #54 | Coyotes at Flyers | February 12, 2024 | Flyers win 5-3

Chicken N Raffls

Here for the chaos and lolz
Nov 7, 2022
Douglassville
There is a part of me that wishes Giroux was here for this.

I know they aren’t winning shit, but for him to at least be part of it on a bit of a better team, and time.

25EAreLnZIFWasblJe.gif

We know how this org works, and G and Danny were thick as thieves back in the day. If G wanted a farewell tour, I wouldn't be shocked. And I'd love it!

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
now that is coincidence. at the intermission, I stepped away for a quick game of pool, to try and calmly prepare for the final push. Hot for Teacher came on for the final shots, which is probably bad for calm pool, as it was turned up full blast, but the pool game turned out well, and so did the final push!

This team has just enough to get just enough done. I firmly believe they are already in playoff mode, and have been for most of the season, they play with so much visible effort, a lot of sacrifice, a lot of team first execution choices. Not a ton of classic skill, but they have their go-to-plays (who else cuts into the middle with strength 1v1 better than the Flyers? a great move) are succeeding.

That was a good few hours spent.
The younger players advancing their games is crucial and critical. If this was something in which the team relied on the vets in the absence of growth from the younger sect, then there would be reasons for pessimism; however, they have jelled. The battle cry of "No one believed in us" seems to have been tattooed on their collective minds. As we saw not too many days ago, that can come to a sudden stop. If they make the playoffs, it comes down to one opponent and the East is loaded. Too far down the road right now to seriously consider those possibilities but eventually they have to learn to play with the big boys in the East. If that road can be navigated with production then we could see something meaningful but that is a long road yet traveled.

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL
Every time I think they’ll crash and fade they just keep winning. I’m starting to think that they low key have a sneakily “deep” team. If they had ~2 high end players and 1-2 better bottom 6 players I’d consider them a decent contender. They have played very well this year as a team
Hell, if they had a functional pp coach, they’d have 5-10 more points and would challenging the Rags for first.

#fireRockyintothesun

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL
Again, this team has holes, they aren’t winning the Cup (especially with a mouth breathing mongoloid running the pp), but I hope they keep winning. Getting the young guys playoff experience and picking in the 19-22 range is much better than just missing and picking 15th or 16th.

eramosat

Dec 19, 2015
Toronto
The younger players advancing their games is crucial and critical. If this was something in which the team relied on the vets in the absence of growth from the younger sect, then there would be reasons for pessimism; however, they have jelled. The battle cry of "No one believed in us" seems to have been tattooed on their collective minds. As we saw not too many days ago, that can come to a sudden stop. If they make the playoffs, it comes down to one opponent and the East is loaded. Too far down the road right now to seriously consider those possibilities but eventually they have to learn to play with the big boys in the East. If that road can be navigated with production then we could see something meaningful but that is a long road yet traveled.
Friggin' right they have gelled. They are playing so far above their collective pay grade, it's nuts. I don't watch every game. so I don't know exactly what's what. But effort from mostly everyone, all the time, sticks in lanes, blocked shots, always take shots/put the puck on net, calm cut-backs to relieve pressure take chances on offense to exert your will (exemplified by the 1v1 cut into the slot move that so many players are using)...it's quite something to watch the results.

Let's see what the trade deadline brings. No matter what, a playoff race is in the cards. And yes...a huge number of influential Metro opponent, and Atlantic opponent games still to to come. I hope they hold their own.

Henry Miller

Sep 5, 2020
If the Flyers can find a way to get a 1st at the deadline (Walker or Laughton), make the playoffs, and get the young players some valuable high pressure experience, I consider this season a success. Not too long ago I was hoping they’d bottom out but that went out the window. They have played really well this year and many young guys have had key roles and improved. I still think the stars would need to align for a deep playoff run, but I’m much more optimistic about the future now. Having 3 picks in the 20’s would be nice too

MorgantiDrinksBlood

Dec 26, 2011
Tokyo, Japan
I’ve said it once I’ll say it again Ersson has legit top 5 goalie / vezina talent potential if he continues to progress. His ceiling is higher than Harts, we all knew it even though many weren’t saying it when Ersson took a step this year.

There is a part of me that wishes Giroux was here for this.

I know they aren’t winning shit, but for him to at least be part of it on a bit of a better team, and time.
A part of me wishes too. But Frost is getting opportunities and everyone is moved up 1 notch higher in the lineup which helps the progression of the youth. I’m just glad he went home where he’s happy.

Reactions: renberg and BiggE

MorgantiDrinksBlood

Dec 26, 2011
Tokyo, Japan
If the Flyers can find a way to get a 1st at the deadline (Walker or Laughton), make the playoffs, and get the young players some valuable high pressure experience, I consider this season a success. Not too long ago I was hoping they’d bottom out but that went out the window. They have played really well this year and many young guys have had key roles and improved. I still think the stars would need to align for a deep playoff run, but I’m much more optimistic about the future now. Having 3 picks in the 20’s would be nice too
All the guys on this roster deserve a playoff run, I’ll tell you one thing, no one will want Philly in the first round. I’ll be thrilled to watch playoff hockey with no real expectations, the young guys need to know what it feels like anyways.

Reactions: Chicken N Raffls

Chicken N Raffls

Here for the chaos and lolz
Nov 7, 2022
Douglassville

I love that plan, and would be excited to be a part of it, but this FO still has to show me something. I've said it before, this deadline is make or break for me with Briere. I gave up on bottoming out a long time ago, and they've said they won't buy. Great. Now SELL! Give me actions

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

VladDrag

Feb 6, 2018
Fun game to watch. The team works hard and that is 100% on Torts. It’s refreshing to see. I still wish they would fire Rocky.

A few notes

-I really want Drysdale to be the guy. Would be huge for the team.
- TK is so much fun to watch.
- Staal is cooked, Atkinson can’t be on the roster next season
-Frost doing Frost things
-I am happy Laughton is playing well right now. I really hope they sell Laughton and get another high pick. I am all for trying to build via aggregate, but they need to make responsible moves, like this.

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK
someone is gonna talk Danny into being a buyer

I don't see it. He has to have an eye on the future and know that this team has potential, but it isn't winning anything this season. Winning a series isn't worth selling valuable assets for.

I think and hope he's smart. Trade off some of the superfluous parts like Laughton and Walker and grow.

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
I don't see it. He has to have an eye on the future and know that this team has potential, but it isn't winning anything this season. Winning a series isn't worth selling valuable assets for.

I think and hope he's smart. Trade off some of the superfluous parts like Laughton and Walker and grow.
Tough decision, for sure. On one hand, you want to make moves that improve the team long term.
On the other hand, when a team is on course for the playoffs, plays good hockey, and appears to be a tight-knit group of players it feels wrong to weaken them.
I'm sure the players would understand, but they're still competitive and you don't want to give them the impression their efforts are pointless.

I think best course of action is to just stay put this year.

Reactions: MorgantiDrinksBlood

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad