Prospect Info: 50th Overall - Nikita Chibrikov

ello

Jun 12, 2018
Do you think players are taking a couple of laps in game in an attempt to get into the top percentiles?

Connor is one of the fastest players in the league, why does he keep cutting back instead of beating dmen wide on a regular basis?
Jason Dickinson was higher than Nathan Mackinnon last season lmao

Reactions: TS Quint

abax44

Jan 22, 2005
These speed stats from NHL edge are interesting, not necessarily useful but interesting.
Definitely neat to have that info. Should be interesting to see where they go from here/what are the players willing to let the NHL have access to.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
Chibby is a very interesting package, crafty, skilled and feisty, and can hit a top gear with his head a step or two ahead. And that is a wickedly quick release.

Kupari has speed. Barron has speed and a shot. KFC has the package but his is more of a separation burst. Nik has the separation speed, lateral speed, hands and shot. Not many with that combo who can break a game with regularity.

ello

Jun 12, 2018
Again, is the assumption that he decided to ignore the game at hand and start doing laps to go as fast as possible?
Obviously not. Maybe not the best wording/sxamples but we both know that you know what I was getting at

Any “speed” stat that has (for example again) Dickinson over Mackinnon clearly needs to be taken in proper context.

NHL edge has Perfetti in like the bottom like 1-5% (eye balling graph) for total speed bursts over 20mph so based on this information it’s pretty straightforward to surmise that Perfetti’s top speed burst was probably an aberration/from a broken play where he managed to keep his momentum going and not representative of his actual speed

For reference, our obviously faster players in Ehlers and Connor are in the 95th and 85th percentiles respectively for speed bursts.

Perfetti is clearly slow and pointing to a random, isolated stat with very obviously confounding variables doesnt disprove that.

Reactions: Atoyot

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
Obviously not. Maybe not the best wording/sxamples but we both know that you know what I was getting at

Any “speed” stat that has (for example again) Dickinson over Mackinnon clearly needs to be taken in proper context.

NHL edge has Perfetti in like the bottom like 1-5% (eye balling graph) for total speed bursts over 20mph so based on this information it’s pretty straightforward to surmise that Perfetti’s top speed burst was probably an aberration/from a broken play where he managed to keep his momentum going and not representative of his actual speed

For reference, our obviously faster players in Ehlers and Connor are in the 95th and 85th percentiles respectively for speed bursts.

Perfetti is clearly slow and pointing to a random, isolated stat with very obviously confounding variables doesnt disprove that.
It does disprove it to an extent. His first few steps are slow, his edges aren't great, he likely actively slows the game down partly because he knows his explosiveness isn't there, but he's also not as slow in a straight line race as people think and he's proven that he can be incredibly effective playing that game.

My point from the beginning though was that speed doesn't automatically equate to effectiveness, and that skating isn't all about speed, which is kind of feels like the opposite of how it was taken but that was probably just how I presented it.

I'll also admit that I saw that Perfetti's speed bursts over 22 was 1. I'd rather use Edge to promote Gustafsson's skating, who I think has a narrative about him being slow that isn't based on fact. Unfortunately Edge uses counting stats instead of rates which puts his speed bursts percentiles lower than they should be, but even then you have 6 22+ bursts to Scheifele's and Morrissey's 0. Average is 9 (brought down by the many, many players that have 0) so considering how limited Gus has been used his skating numbers are pretty impressive.

Last edited:
Reactions: Adam da bomb

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad