500 Career Wins for John Tortorella

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
Congrats to Torts.. he has the team firing on all cylinders, such that even when they don't play their best, they still have a chance to win. "You cannot win this game if you do not shoot the puck"

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
He may have been once or twice in Vancouver or NY, but no bum in C-bus under JD tutelage..

Absolutely. I really like:

>The attitude he has instilled in this team. He's turned around the much discussed culture concerns of the past.

>The style of play which more greatly emphasizes speed while still placing weight on the forecheck

>The attention to game preparedness - the tough training camp, but then counerbalancing it by eliminating morning skates

>His demand of excellence (shared by all great coaches regardless of the sport) but now delivered in more measured messaging.

Congrats to Torts.

Robert

Foligno family
Mar 9, 2006
Louisville, KY
Absolutely. I really like:

>The attitude he has instilled in this team. He's turned around the much discussed culture concerns of the past.

>The style of play which more greatly emphasizes speed while still placing weight on the forecheck

>The attention to game preparedness - the tough training camp, but then counerbalancing it by eliminating morning skates

>His demand of excellence (shared by all great coaches regardless of the sport) but now delivered in more measured messaging.

Congrats to Torts.

I second your post Moe..... Many have made this season what it is but Tort's impact can't be ignored..... I won't jinx but more accolades might be coming, we will see..

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
I second your post Moe..... Many have made this season what it is but Tort's impact can't be ignored..... I won't jinx but more accolades might be coming, we will see..

You can't win any hardware in December, but you sure as hell can lose it by New Year's. Sure does feel good to still be in the hunt. Focus on the Kings in NWA:handclap:

Jaxs

Jul 4, 2008
Congrats Torts. Thanks for helping this team play an exciting and successful brand of hockey.

Dr. Fire

What, me worry?
Jun 29, 2007
Jacketstown, Ohio
I am not sure where all of the Torts hate comes from in the international hockey media. Sure the guy doesn't take any crap from anyone, but so what.

I thought he was very humble in his post game presser yesterday. Very classy IMHO.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
I am not sure where all of the Torts hate comes from in the international hockey media. Sure the guy doesn't take any crap from anyone, but so what.

I thought he was very humble in his post game presser yesterday. Very classy IMHO.

I decided when he was hired that I'd spend 0 time trying to figure out why.

So far, I still have no idea! :yo:

Byrral

Aug 2, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
Already said congrats in the GDT but...

What stood out to me was what Foligno had to say after the game. The guys understand that he's a hardass, maybe unreasonable at times, but he also has a human element to him. The team has lost so much that they didn't care about his past. They needed someone to captain the ship and point the way. They are paying attention and learning how to be pro's and how to win.

Congrats Torts.

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
Already said congrats in the GDT but...

What stood out to me was what Foligno had to say after the game. The guys understand that he's a hardass, maybe unreasonable at times, but he also has a human element to him. The team has lost so much that they didn't care about his past. They needed someone to captain the ship and point the way. They are paying attention and learning how to be pro's and how to win.

Congrats Torts.

I missed this Byrral - thanks for sharing

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
One thing that kills me about a lot of internet posters is that they never, ever admit to being wrong. They would rather continue believing what they originally believed despite evidence of the contrary. I wasn't sold on Torts 100% and I know many more thought worse.

But sometimes it's ****ing great to be wrong.

ndd17

In Eaves we trust!
Jul 14, 2012
Russia
I was one of those who don't much believe in Torts, but in the same time i was one of those who really wanted to get rid of Richards. Despite the fact that I'm stand firmly on the postulate in Brads we trust and think they are make a good job, admit I was wrong in Torts.
Congrats coach!

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
I like going back reading people's reactions in the thread about him getting hired. Some people here... not naming names =p ... went nuts and basically said this team is dead and will never win anything and don't deserve a team haha. I've loved torts since NYR and the 24/7 series basically made him my all time favorite coach ever from that point on. Never understood how anyone could not like him. He's brutally honest and says whatever is on his.mind. never lies even if it costs him a fine or angers.amother team the league or his own guys because thats him. I LOVED him trying to get.to the Calgary locker room after they tried to start that line brawl. We love players for standing up for there guys but a coach does it and all of a sudden. He's a bad guy? He has passion for what he does and his guys and hen would never do anything to ever harm a team he works for intentionally. Stand up guy and so glad he is finally getting some of the respect he deserves. **** the haters torts you do you and keep leading us to greatness.

hardkorejackets

Nov 6, 2013
Coldwater, OH
One of the reasons people don't like Tort's is his history. He had some blow up speeches in the media and was a hot head. And like some have mentioned, he speaks his mind.. That can lead to some not liking him. Also, one's history seems to leave a bit of a pre-conception for others, especially if your a "fair weather fan" "don't really pay attention to the CBJ"

For example- Adam Jones- He wants to "shed" the Pacman nickname, but despite him being a Bengal for many, many years with a decently clean record, the instance that comes to my mind is his legal problems from the start in the NFL and the whole "making it rain" in Dallas, and I'm even a Bengals fan.

Don't get me wrong- I'm not saying Tort's is a bad guy. I'm just trying to say "look at it from casual NHL/ don't care about the CBJ/ripped media member" fan point of view be that right or wrong.. I can see how their past perceptions of Tort's carries on, especially if they don't really follow the team. I certainly think he has a much more "calmer" demeanor than he did in the past and has reeled himself in too. I appreciate the work he has done on this team.

Also, if I remember correctly- I was actually in a bit of support of the move in order to challenge the "fragile psyche" that I think plagued this team last year and the lack of motivation that inhibited Ryan Johansen. Wasn't a huge fan of giving up a 2nd round pick, but I don't mind it if this season continues.

Congrats Torts on win #500. Hope to see win #501 in person tonight

Byrral

Aug 2, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
I LOVED him trying to get.to the Calgary locker room after they tried to start that line brawl. We love players for standing up for there guys but a coach does it and all of a sudden. He's a bad guy?

It's called crossing the line. Would you also LOVE it if a player on our team did a Wilf Paiement on one of the other teams players because they lost it like Torts did during that game? Intensity and compassion is one thing but being an idiot and embarrassing a franchise and the league is another. There are other ways to express emotion than that. That was a low moment in Torts career and I believe he understands that and would do things differently if put in the same situation.

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
He didn't hurt anyone he wanted go scream at a guy. I doubt it would have been anything other then face to face at worst and I know torts did not think that for one moment he could even get there he wanted to prove a point. So yeah I honestly was pumped as a fan when that happened and defensed him to people I know and am very close.with in Vancouver. It's like in baseball when a coach leaves the dugout and just lays into the umpire for a few seconds. That's all I saw the Torts situation as and as someone who has both yelled like that with umps and other coaches as a coach and a player I guess I have a unique perspective on it though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad