GDT: 5 to go! Red Wings @ Sabres - 7 EST - FSD

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
Good god, people... Hicketts was an absolute trainwreck for the first couple of powerplays but connects a couple of passes on the last one and everyone here is all googly-eyed about it.

You get the feeling people want to find something to feel happy about (while Boston just took over the #1 spot in the east lol).

I don't see it. Kid skates like he's in quicksand and can't handle the puck well at all. He does have a pretty hard shot though, and is only about to be 22. Looks like another 3rd pairing/AHL tweener to me, but I'd rather face this reality than the garbage Holland goes after this summer.

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
Good god, people... Hicketts was an absolute trainwreck for the first couple of powerplays but connects a couple of passes on the last one and everyone here is all googly-eyed about it.

A lot of short people living vicariously

theYman

Feb 28, 2008
Nice to see the kids scoring in this one. Larkin closing in on 60 pts on a shitty offensive team? He could easily be a 70-80 pt guy if we were decent.

Reactions: Cyborg Yzerberg

Nut Upstrom

You dirty dog!
Dec 18, 2010
Florida
I'm sure things are pretty gloomy here what with us winning and all, but there are obviously some encouraging notes from tonight's game...
Got to love those 3 stars: Larkin, Svech and Mantha 1G, 1A and +2 each
Zetterberg played around 16 minutes. Larkin led all forwards with over 20 and Mantha 17:27. This seems to be a trend with Larkin regularly playing more minutes than Z most nights now. Hopefully Z can gradually be weaned down to 2nd or 3rd line minutes as the kids earn more and more confidence.
Joe Hickets led all players in +/- with +3
Svechnikov had double digit minutes, but still only 11ish. Blash needs to get him and AA (12:32) more time.
I only caught the back half of the game, was rather fun to watch.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
Nice to see the kids scoring in this one. Larkin closing in on 60 pts on a ****ty offensive team? He could easily be a 70-80 pt guy if we were decent.

If he had a decent shooting percentage he'd have 70 points already. Now imagine him on a good team.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Our young players are simply better than theirs. Larkin, Mantha, Svech, AA and Hicketts dominated them in this one. Goes to show how little top picks matters if those top picks have no clue how to win games.
I like our rebuilding chances better than literally everyone below us in the standings, and possibly Edmonton as well. Losing to Ottawa would be good though, I'd like to see us get 4th or 5th best lottery odds to be in perfect position.

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
Lol yea totally shows how little top picks matter..

More like how top picks need to be accompanied by a good gm and scouts. And anyway our young players are not better than ours. Echiel and risto alone trump any combination of 3 young players we have.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Lol yea totally shows how little top picks matter..

More like how top picks need to be accompanied by a good gm and scouts. And anyway our young players are not better than ours. Echiel and risto alone trump any combination of 3 young players we have.
Tbh I'm not impressed with either one. Eichel is an enigma to me. So much talent, but doesn't seem to live up to the hype imo. Garbage internationally and plays pretty lazy. Needs to stay healthy too. Ristolainen plays a ton of minutes but defensively leaves a lot to be desired.

Konnan511

#RetireHronek17
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2008
Sarasota, FL
Tbh I'm not impressed with either one. Eichel is an enigma to me. So much talent, but doesn't seem to live up to the hype imo. Garbage internationally and plays pretty lazy. Needs to stay healthy too. Ristolainen plays a ton of minutes but defensively leaves a lot to be desired.
Eichel is .83 PPG over his career and nearly a PPG player this season, in his third season. He's pretty darn good .

TCNorthstars

Jan 5, 2009
Lansing area, MI

I agree Eichel is enigmatic, but he is really good. I am on board with your assessment of Risto though, not sold on him. He is still young though, so he could improve.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Ya I wish we did. If we started him every game we would be dead last. Better chance at #1.
Coreau has that on lock and we're not playing him every game.

Obviously Blash doesn't want to lose out so regardless of who we have at the goalie position he's going to go with the guy who he feels gives him a shot at winning.

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
I can't believe how many positive reviews there are of Hicketts from this game. I know he found his way to an assist and +3, but the dude was TERRRRIBLE

They sure are trying to sell him on the broadcast though

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
I can't believe how many positive reviews there are of Hicketts from this game. I know he found his way to an assist and +3, but the dude was TERRRRIBLE

They sure are trying to sell him on the broadcast though

The people raving about Hicketts are the people who've been talking all year about how he'd be better than half the Wings defense.
It's like going to a political convention and expecting good, objective information on a candidate.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
The people raving about Hicketts are the people who've been talking all year about how he'd be better than half the Wings defense.
It's like going to a political convention and expecting good, objective information on a candidate.

I'm with the Captain on this one. You can think about Hicketts what you want...but as a matter of fact, he's been exceptional so far both during preseason and the three NHL games he played. Blashill is right saying that he'll have to manage his turnovers...he had a bad one every game. At the same time, he has a very short memory and came back even stronger after those mistakes. If Hicketts can keep it up then he's easily one of the better defenders on this team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad