5 rookies this year (Crosby, Ovechkin ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
I'd go with Ruutu. He'd be more experienced than the other guys on your list, but, you need to compensate for all the hype that Crosby will get, and Ovechkin to a lesser extent. Ruttu has some break-out potential, plus, having 23 goals and 21 assists in the 03-04 season make him an attractive pick.

Most people are going to go with the high profile selection like Crosby. A guy like Ruutu, who has done something in the NHL, and may break out with a better team in Chicago, gives enough motivation for someone to stray from the pack. The last thing you ever want in a hockey pool like this, is to have selections that no one is going to make.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
MojoJojo said:
WHICH IS WHY HE ISNT A ROOKIE

Hence, the term "Young Guns" which has been thrown around. It's a hockey pool, not the Calder eligibility list. You don't have to have the requirements set in stone.

As it is, Crosby is the guy that will get all the attention in such a box. I was just giving my thoughts on why it would be better to use a guy like Ruutu, rather than say, a Parise or Vanek, who, the average fan, would not pick over Crosby in a hockey pool. The key to these pools is making sure that all the selections have roughly the same chances of selection, so that everyone's teams are sufficiently different.

EDIT: With Zherdev on the list, with 57 games to his credit, what's the real difference anyways? :dunno:

PecaFan

Nov 16, 2002
Ottawa (Go 'Nucks)
Or maybe folks should actually read the messages. :)

Crosby, Ovechkin, Zherdev are the unmistakable top 3. I think Ruutu is the #4, easily over Carter. Ruutu is going to get way more potential scoring minutes than Carter.

I'm leery of Vanek, think you can find a better choice somewhere. Hyped rookie, no experience, no supporting cast, I just don't see many points there. Remember Semin last year? Same sort of thing.

The key is finding the guys who have been left off the other boxes. There's usually some oversight.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
PecaFan said:
Or maybe folks should actually read the messages. :)

Crosby, Ovechkin, Zherdev are the unmistakable top 3. I think Ruutu is the #4, easily over Carter. Ruutu is going to get way more potential scoring minutes than Carter.

I'm leery of Vanek, think you can find a better choice somewhere. Hyped rookie, no experience, no supporting cast, I just don't see many points there. Remember Semin last year? Same sort of thing.

The key is finding the guys who have been left off the other boxes. There's usually some oversight.

Is Zherdev still a rookie?

allelsefails

Mar 31, 2004
Canton, OH
You guys even read his clarification post about the office pool?

I can understand those who posted before he clarified, but afterwards?

Non-Rookies = Okay - looking for young talented forwards
Goalies = No - just going goals and assists.

ktownhockey

Mar 29, 2004
Ontario canada
Fozz said:
All those guys aren't rookies. And what is Stajan doing with those other guys? He has third liner potential, that's it!

Anyways, my list of suggestions (bythe way, Zherdev isn't a rookie either):

Malkin (if he signs)
Vanek
Parise
Perezhogin

Stajan was sent to this earth to prove people wrong. He's done it at every level. GTHL, OHL, World Juniors, NHL

I wouldn't bet against him being a 2nd liner at the very least.

Buffalo Stylee

Apr 4, 2004
Buffalo/Niagara
PecaFan said:

Yeah, I mean it's not like he has Briere, Drury, Afinogenov, and Dumont to get the puck to him. And with all the time he'll be spending on the Sabres top line and on the power play, why would you expect him to score at all? I mean, he only had 42 goals in the AHL as a rookie...........I guess I don't see many points there, either. :shakehead

TVanek26*

PecaFan said:

Yeah no experience,I mean he spent a season in the AHL and scored 42 goals,and the team he's going to was 10th in scoring last season.

SDBondra

Jul 24, 2005
If Semin plays this year, he may be the most talented offensive player on that list.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
SDBondra said:
If Semin plays this year, he may be the most talented offensive player on that list.

Semin has the talent to score with any prospect not named Ovechkin, Crosby or Malkin on HF IMO...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad