FS Larry Wilson
SS Steve Atwater
5B Louis Wright

Special Teams:
K Mark Moseley
P Sean Landetta
KR Devin Hester
ST Steve Tasker

I've got a power running offense with a hard-hitting attacking defense and almost every player is an old school rough and tumble type if not down right dirty. The Steamrollers will live up to their name.

Coaching: Chuck Noll created a defense that terrorize the league to an extent sweeping rule changes were necessary then adapted by winning two more titles in the pass happy era.

Offense: Mike Shannahan's run blocking scheme could get a cadaver (AKA Tatum Bell) over 1,000 yards in a 16 game season. All the receivers were also accomplished down field blockers. Put the pure power of Earl Campbell and Marion Motley you will have something akin to Terrell Davis' MVP season. Odoms also make for a terrifying Double TE set like Gronk/Hernandez without the gang banging… either kind.

This opens up play action and roll outs for Young who has big guys to target with his trade mark efficiency and an accomplished receiver back in Craig. Probably have enough talent to run a wishbone set.

LT Tyrer ---- LG Dobler ---- C Nalen ----RG Little ---- RT Gregg --- TE Sharpe

WR Wayne QB Young WR Smith

FB Motley RB Campbell

3WR Carmichael 3RB Craig 2TE Odoms 4WR Hester 5WR Tasker

Defense:

Wade Phillips runs an attacking defense that will be all over the opposition and hitting hard. With the exception of Champ all the guy on D were terrors on opposing offenses. With Champ I have one of the best cover men ever to get the rest of the guys time to kill the ball carrier.

LE Jones ---- LT Suh ---- RT Greene ---- RE Doleman

LLB Hanburger ---- MLB Singletary ---- RLB Taylor

CB Bailey---- S Wilson ---- S Atwater ---- CB Riley

NB Wright

Special Teams: I get a bit of field position edge here with est return man ever in Hester and a gunner in Tasker to pin the ball deep.

Roster:

Lawrence Taylor:
Possibly greatest defender ever, certainly the best rusher. Broke Joe Theismann. Beat on Ron Jaworski like a dog.

Mean Joe Greene: What does it say that on a legendary defense full of Hall of Famers, Mean Joe is the undoubted best? Using him to stunt with LT and Doleman charging in after him will burst any oline

Chris Doleman: 7th all time in Sacks. Practicing opposite of Gary Zimmerman honed his kills. Also has some ballhawk skills with 8 ints and 24 fumble recoveries.

Ndamukong Suh: He’s roll into someone’s knees or step on someone.

Too Tall Jones: Best pure Right End ever? Managed 106 career sacks despite playing in the QBs face and taking a year off his prime to box. I think if stat whackers would take a deep dive into his career he would get more credit. His nonsack ability to disrupt with Swats, Hurries and QB hits would make his impact better known.

Mike Singletary:
1693631646602.jpeg

I rest my case

Chris Hanburger: The Hangman. Another dirty player I collected. The name that begat a playing style, he wasn’t just neck tackles. John Hannah called him the smartest player in football. Somebody I can see blowing up a screen or covering a TE.

Champ Bailey: the lockdown corner I can put on the stud WR while my front line gets to the QB

Ken Riley: The Rattler finally getting his due with a posthumous induction to the Hall. 5th in career ints.

Louis Wright: Like the rest of the Orange Crush, overlooked by history. In the Mel Blount bump-n-run mold. Member of the All 70’s team.

Larry Wilson: First do everything safety. Originator of the safety blitz. 52 ints, 21 sacks, 7 returns for a TDs. Tough as hell too, caught an int with two broken arms. Hadd all his teeth pulled.

Steve Atwater: The Pixies to Ed Reed’s Nirvana. The ultimate molar rattler. Ask Christian Okoye about him, he hates that!

Forest Gregg: One of the best run blocking tackles ever. Synonymous with the power sweep. As Lombardi said “We’re going to make a seam here! And a seam here!”

Larry Little: Doorman for Csonka and Mercury Morris. 6th on PFRs HOF meter for guards.

Tom Nalen: 6 different RBs rushed for 1K yards in a season behind him. Complaints were that Denver’s zone blocking scheme was dirty, but it was certainly effective.

Conrad Dobler: Possibly the dirtiest player in the history of the game. Punched, bit and leg whipped himself to three pro bowls. “I’ll do anything I can get away with”.

Jim Tyrer: Remembered mainly for his murder-suicide, was a great tackle.

Steve Young: For my purposes here, I envision using his scrambling ability and ball control to keep the opposing D tired and on the field. Being a southpaw always added a bit of confusion. To the proceedings. Good mix of short and long ball ability.

Earl Campbell: Only two things could stop the Tyler Rose: The Steel Curtain and Astroturf. Most powerful runner ever.

Marion Motley: Another great power runner. Also could block. Lynch pin of Paul Brown’s AAFC dynasty.

Roger Craig: Will function as a long back here. Had good speed and one of the best receiving RBS ever. First guy to go 1000-1000.

Reggie Wayne: All around stud receiver who will serve as my long ball threat. Also for purposes of the Steamrollers was a good down field blocker.

Rod Smith: Lightning Rod. Clutch possession receiver who took pride in the thankless job of down field blocking. I’m not sure who said it but they pointed out about possession receivers being iffy hall candidates that it was absurd that it was widely recognized to be a tougher job than being a speedster, but somehow less worth of recommendation.

Harrold Carmichael: 6’8” target that allowed for just chucking the ball high because who was going to get up there with him? Would probably be a TE in todays game.

Shannon Sharpe: Revitalized the TE position was a huge match up problem. A part of Denver’s zone blocking dominance. Also will get opponents steaming mad with his mouth. He can recite Derrick Thomas’ girlfriends phone number to him.

Riley Odoms:
Kind of a forgotten player. He is of the Hybrid tackle/receiver class of the 70’s. He was an absolute wrecking ball during the day. Came back from the 82 strike out of shape and that was pretty much it for him. Never had great QB play to feed him (Craig Morton). 16th on the TE HOF monitor.

Devin Hester: Greatest returner ever. Ran back 19 kicks. Also a decent receiver so if I have to run an empty back field. Should get me some short fields

Steve Tasker: Best special teams gunner ever. Helps field position by suppressing returners deep. Also a an emergency WR.

Mark Mosely: Only Kicker to win MVP

Sean Landetta: Reliable punting mainstay and the last USFLer to retire. Can still hear Pat Summerall calling out his name

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

#8 London Lightning

Coaching Staff:

1 HC Don Shula 2 X Super Bowl Champ, 4 X AP Coach of Year
1 OC Norv Turner Offensive Coordinator for Cowboys Super Bowl Champs in the 1992 and 1993 season
1 DC George Allen 2 X AP Coach of Year, NFC Champ Coach in `1972

Comments: The coaching staff is well rounded. Don Shula is on the shortlist for greatest NFL coach ever leading the only team to run the table all season and playoffs with the Miami Dolphins in the 1972 season. Norv Turner was on the Cowboys staff that won 2 straight super bowls in the 90s. I think I've given him a good passing game as well as rushing game to work with and a well rounded offensive line. George Allen was a good defensive mind in his career and he has familarity with Merlin Olsen which is a plus.

Offence:

QB - Aaron Rodgers (2005-2022) 10 Time Pro Bowl, 4 Time AP MVP, 1 Super Bowl Win
RB - Thurman Thomas (1988-2000) 2007 Hall of Fame Inductee, 5 Time Pro Bowl, 1 X AP MVP
WR - Randy Moss (1998-2012) 2018 Hall of Fame Inductee, 6 Time Pro Bowl
WR - James Lofton (1978-1993) 2003 Hall of Fame Inductee, 8 Time Pro Bowl
WR - Art Monk (1980-1995) 2008 Hall of Fame Inductee, 3 Time Pro Bowl, 3 Super Bowl Wins
TE - Dave Casper (1974-1984) 2002 Hall of Fame Inductee, 5 Time Pro Bowl, 2 Super Bowl Wins
LT - Joe Jacoby (1981-1993) 4 Time Pro Bowl, 3 Super Bowl Wins
LG - Randal Mcdaniel (1988-2001) 2009 Hall of Fame inductee, 12 Time Pro Bowl
C - Kevin Mawae (1994-2009) 2019 Hall of Fame Inductee, 8 Time Pro Bowl
RG - Bill Fralic (1985-1993) 4 Time Pro Bowl
RT - Dan Dierdorf (1971-1983) 1996 Hall of Fame Inductee, 6 Time Pro Bowl

Comments: Not much to say here other than I expect the offense to be pass happy. Rodgers is flanked with some good options at receiver and tight end. If need be he can go to the run with the very capable Thurman Thomas. Randy Moss is going to be utilized very much so but Lofton, Monk and Casper should get a few footballs thrown to them as well. The offensive line is well equipped led by one of the best offensive linemen ever in Randall Mcdaniel, the other 4 offensive linemen have 22 pro bowls between them so plenty of protection for the pass game and Rodgers to work their magic.

Util Ben Coates (1991-2000)
Util Roger Staubach (1969-1979)
Util Ken Gray (1958-1970)

Defence: (4-3 Defence is what I'll be running)

F7 Merlin Olsen (1962-1976) 14 Time Pro Bowler, Hall of Fame Inductee in 1982
F7 Howie Long (1981-1993) 8 time Pro Bowler, Hall of Fame Inductee in 2000
F7 Bryant Young (1994-2007) 4 time Pro Bowler, Hall of Fame Inductee in 2022, 1 Super Bowl Win
F7 Simeon Rice (1996-2007) 3 Time Pro Bowler, 1 Super Bowl Win
F7 Jack Ham (1971-1982) 8 Time Pro Bowler, Hall of Fame Inductee in 1988, 4 Super Bowl wins
F7 Hardy Nickerson (1987-2002) ,5 Time Pro Bowler
F7 Isiah Robertson (1971-1982) 6 Time Pro Bowler
CB Richard Sherman (2011-2021) 5 Time Pro Bowler, 1 Super Bowl win
CB Sam Madison (1997-2008) 4 time Pro Bowler, 1 Super Bowl win
FS Rod Woodson (1987-2003) 11 time Pro Bowler, 1 Super Bowl win, 1 DPOY award, Hall of Fame Inductee in 2009
SS Leroy Butler (1990-2001) 4 Time Pro Bowler, 1 Super Bowl Win, Hall of Fame Inductee in 2022

Comments: The strength of my defense in in the defensive end/tackle group with 29 Pro Bowls and 3 Hall of Fame members in that group. Merlin Olsen is of course the leader there with his 14 Pro Bowls but Howie Long, Bryant Young and Simeon Rice are more than capable of being productive players and making it hard for opposing teams to score. The linebacker group is solid as well led by Jack Ham. The backfield is solid as well, I have Rod Woodson listed at free safety which is where he played for that great Ravens defense in 2000 but he can play all over the backfield. Richard Sherman is one of the best defensive players in recent times and should be a Hall of Famer someday. I think my offense is better than my defense but both units are solid and should give me a good chance at winning.

Util Tim Mcdonald (1987-1999)
Util Ray Childress (1985-1996)
Util Jeremiah Trotter (1998-2009)

Special Teams:

K David Akers (1998-2013) 6 Time Pro Bowler
P Johnny Hekker (2012-2022) 4 Time Pro Bowler, 1 Super Bowl Win

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad