Status
Not open for further replies.

mtnet

LGD!
Oct 31, 2014
Great story on Greene getting the winning puck back

And amazing clutch save to keep it alive during the game

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Andy Greene is the most underrated defenseman in the NHL.

I don't think that's a stretch at all, he's easily the most underrated American born and I don't even see how that can be argued at all.

I'm still sour that he constantly gets snubbed by Team USA in international tournaments. Even that one year in the world championships, he claimed he didn't get an invite and everyone was surprised. That was back in 2013 I think.

I would almost bet he got an invite last year, just opted not to go. He had to have at least gotten an invite last year.

Devilsgrl35

Feb 15, 2009
New York
I don't think that's a stretch at all, he's easily the most underrated American born and I don't even see how that can be argued at all.

I'm still sour that he constantly gets snubbed by Team USA in international tournaments. Even that one year in the world championships, he claimed he didn't get an invite and everyone was surprised. That was back in 2013 I think.

I would almost bet he got an invite last year, just opted not to go. He had to have at least gotten an invite last year.

He better be on the world cup team whenever they start it. I have to buy myself a Greene shirt next time I head into Jersey.

RNCDevil

Jun 21, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
I like Greene. He's a good captain, a good person and an EXCELLENT defenseman.

However, he's pretty mediocre in the offensive zone. He misses the net on his relatively weak shot and he definitely has some yips keeping the puck in the zone. I wouldn't be upset at all if he made a national team, BUT, at the national level:

Suter, McDonough, Carlson, Shattenkirk, Faulk, Fowler are probably your top 6.
Erik Johnson / Seth Jones...maybe I could see Greene ahead of them for the 7th but unlikely.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
Regardless of what happens with Team USA, I'm grateful Andy is a Devil. He was amazing this game and him getting the puck for Hynes was such a classy thing to do. Andy is the kind of veteran you want younger players emulating. He really embodies a lot of the qualities we want to see develop in our young Devils. Players like Andy make me still root for the Devils even through these trying times.

BigBlueAndRed

Apr 15, 2012
Just got home from the game. What a win today... everyone was predicting a pounding but we gutted it out and won. The crowd was in shock after that OT, nobody even insulted me on the way out of the garden :laugh:

Bologna 1

Aug 5, 2006
One thing the devils do very well in 3 on 3 is stick to their men in the d zone and rarely, if ever, get crossed up. That, and they play it smart in terms of not being too careless but not too cautious either. Not sure if that's more of a testament to coaching or the players.

RNCDevil

Jun 21, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
One thing the devils do very well in 3 on 3 is stick to their men in the d zone and rarely, if ever, get crossed up. That, and they play it smart in terms of not being too careless but not too cautious either. Not sure if that's more of a testament to coaching or the players.

I agree and I think they've adopted a counter-attack style that we'll see everyone move towards. It's patience and then pounce.

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
Boucher might be one of the slowest players we've seen on this team in a while and he has some offensive skill potential, but he is never able to get himself in the right position because he can't get any speed going or get to where he needs to in time.

It almost seems that he's gotten slower since I first remember him being called up a couple seasons ago.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
Had the game on in the background at lunch today, so I was kinda veering in and out of watching it until OT where I had to watch it all. What were the big takeaways from the game? And what happened with Palmieri's fight?

CerebralGenesis

Jul 23, 2009
Boucher might be one of the slowest players we've seen on this team in a while and he has some offensive skill potential, but he is never able to get himself in the right position because he can't get any speed going or get to where he needs to in time.

It almost seems that he's gotten slower since I first remember him being called up a couple seasons ago.

His only attribute is his shot and he can't get in a position to use it without someone creating and dishing for him. I'm not encouraged by him so far and he's mostly lucky that we have no other prospects to bump him yet.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey

I think that the fact Hynes is familiar with the 3-on-3 format from his time in the AHL might work to the Devils' advantage.

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
His only attribute is his shot and he can't get in a position to use it without someone creating and dishing for him. I'm not encouraged by him so far and he's mostly lucky that we have no other prospects to bump him yet.

Unless he has something that's been nagging his lower body, it's not a good at all that he's regressed and what's further worse is that he was one of the few glimmers of hope, not that it says much, for our offensive prospect pool within the last couple of years.

It's only been a few games he's been in this year, but he hasn't looked comfortable dating back to last season and as I mentioned, he showed some promise his first season up, but we haven't seen it since.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011

He looks kind of chubby and conditioning might not be where it needs to be for him. Not that looking or being chubby necessarily means he's out of shape, Phil Kessel appears to have a higher percentage of body fat than almost any player in the league and seems like he's in fine shape.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey

I feel like he got stockier and is a much better overall player.

He definitely needs to work on his skating, but he looks like he may be able to develop into a bottom-six scoring forward whereas previously it was top six or bust for him.

The one good thing though is he hasn't necessarily looked bad; he just hasn't looked good.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
I made the decision that fall apple picking would be a much more exciting afternoon than watching a Devils game, so I only saw the OT.

How did they look today?

Besides the fact they still apparently cant score > 1 goal in 60 minutes.

Zelmo

Jun 18, 2012
Woodstock, GA
If I was Boucher's agent (or the Devils for that matter), I'd find the guy who helped WPGs Mark Schieffle (sp?) bulk up and gain speed and get them working together ASAP

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
Obligatory comment when teams lose to the devils. NJ could play a five man forecheck and teams would still cling to that reference.

He's not entirely wrong. I missed this game but was at the Nash one and we essentially did sit in the neutral zone and wait for a substantial portion of the game.

Burner Account

Feb 14, 2008

You can get by on that in junior

not up in here

tr83

Nope, still embarassed
Oct 14, 2013
Jersey Shore
I'm watching the game now. What is this team's deal with passing? They can't complete two passes in a row without a fumble.

The other deal I have is a combination of vision/ability of the forwards to find open lanes to receive passes. Why is it so hard for these guys to find the soft spots in the defense?

I guess that's why more than half these guys would be 3rd/4th liners on contending teams

tr83

Nope, still embarassed
Oct 14, 2013
Jersey Shore
Tootoo get wayyyyyy too many minutes. Bad passes, clears, fumbles, man coverages, etc.

Wow! He got 16 minutes???!!

tr83

Nope, still embarassed
Oct 14, 2013
Jersey Shore
Boucher will be fine when he gets a skating coach. He's got good instincts. He's got an active stick in the D zone, finds the soft spots in the D, and goes to the net.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad