5 Burning Questions -April 2nd editiom

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
1.WTF is wrong with Toews? Same question we have asked many times this season except for his brief burst of "quasi-normal" play in Dec and till the end of the 13 game streak till about the 3rd week in January.

2. Can we realistically still finish 2nd,despite the men missing situation?

3. Why is Q no longer scowling despite the horror shoe defensively in our own zone?

4. Is line #2 (the Panarin Anisimov Kane line getting it's 2nd wind and normalcy again ..or we it "just Winnipeg" ?

5.Can Panarin get to 72 points...matching the number on his back ..which is what I exactly predicted for him before the season sarted?

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
FYI on Toews:

....only 2 shots on goal the last 4 games..this is stepping up when we need it ?This is a $10.5 million player?

And mor: Did you know that in 77GP Toews was a positive in +/- only 30 games..bbetter than Panarin of course because after all Toews despite not great points is supposed to be a vaunted 2-way player ..so you expect that he would be way ahead of Panarin whose checking sometimes seems caught up ice and weak ..but in 76GP Panarin is only 2 behind Toews at 28 games with a positive +/-..I guess considering g then points advantage to Panarin he should get way more than a $10.5 million cap hit?

Toews has only 9/77 games with multi-point. ..Panarin has 18/76 games with multi-point. .

Toews has 3 multi-goals games outbox 77 ..three only!

Panarin gas 6 multi-goals games out of 76 GP...

Remember we are paying Toews a cap hit average of 10.5 million smakeroos!

But worse than tge stats is the eyeball test..he just looks inept ...mind and body not "in it" the lack of hardness on the puck that characterized his play for tears..just is not there.He looks like a completely different player.Both talent and compete level are MIA.

Last edited:

jaysoneil

Feb 22, 2013
IL
Why do you consistently ask questions that nobody on these boards can answer?

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014
1. Coasting
2. Yes
3. Meaningless regular season games
4. Yes
5. Yes

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002

WELL I guess nobody knows why Toews is so "off" his game ..But I think it is fair then to ask if we did not expect a better ROI for the money we are paying him..and therefore asking why he is so "off" is a valid question..eould not other fans ask a similar question if their highest paid star played so p-poor? Did Pens fans not continually ask why Crosby was so "off" normal in the first half?
So even if nobody knows why ...Inari g fans will still ask the uncomfortable questions about any star who is not performing as expected.

I think it is legit go speculate on the other 4 questions I asked too.

Bring Back GLR

Commit to the Indian
Nov 8, 2006
Blackhawkville
How about who gives a **** and let's see what we do in the playoffs. Or outside of the Kings let's see if the rest of the weak ass Western Conference can prove to us. Fiddy your a tired scene.

puterwiz53

Nov 17, 2010
Saint John, New Brunswick
I have watched all the games and you can see clearly that the Hawks are not playing all out so as to save their energy for the playoffs. There have been only a few Hawks that have played hard every game. I think they are playing it smart and not burning themselves out before the playoffs. It doesn't matter where they finish as long as they make the playoffs. It matters not which team they face in each round as all teams are going to be tough but those teams that are burning themselves out in the regular season usually go bye bye in the playoffs pretty quickly.

BobbyJet

watch the game, everything else is noise
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
I have watched all the games and you can see clearly that the Hawks are not playing all out so as to save their energy for the playoffs. There have been only a few Hawks that have played hard every game. I think they are playing it smart and not burning themselves out before the playoffs. It doesn't matter where they finish as long as they make the playoffs. It matters not which team they face in each round as all teams are going to be tough but those teams that are burning themselves out in the regular season usually go bye bye in the playoffs pretty quickly.

I think most Hawk fans are hoping that that is the case. Any fan who thinks that any player or any team can be at 100 percent for a full season is not being realistic. It is the dumb mistakes and lack of a team game that we have seen much of this season that is worrisome. Team chemistry remains a question mark as well, especially if Q mixes up the lines and puts together lines that have had little, or no playing time together in the RS.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN

It is not that we can't answer it is that there is no point. 50 responds once is a blue moon. I think he personally lost most credibility when he said Seabrook was in competent for breaking his stick on a stretch pass.

WELL I guess nobody knows why Toews is so "off" his game ..But I think it is fair then to ask if we did not expect a better ROI for the money we are paying him..and therefore asking why he is so "off" is a valid question..eould not other fans ask a similar question if their highest paid star played so p-poor? Did Pens fans not continually ask why Crosby was so "off" normal in the first half?
So even if nobody knows why ...Inari g fans will still ask the uncomfortable questions about any star who is not performing as expected.

I think it is legit go speculate on the other 4 questions I asked too.

Yes most people ask but you constantly ask and repeat the same garbage.

Points wise he is off because until the TD Hossa and X line mate could the bury the puck. If Hossa scored at a similar rate as the previous 3 years his point total would be fine.

Defensively he has be ok but not great. His jump is the biggest thing lacking but when he gets rest his jump comes back. What does that tell me? He is worn out after 6 years of playoff runs and this year has been even harder with MK being out so he is getting even more rough matchups. The fact that he get jump back after is a good sign to me. I think he has been saving himself a bit since the winning streak and I think Q/Stan know this because we need god like Toews for the playoffs. This team is notorious for mailing it in in the regular season when things are set.

Faceoffs? He is losing more draws in the defensive zone - see the rules change.

Last edited:

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
2. Can we realistically still finish 2nd,despite the men missing situation?

Yes and it is simple. Beat the Blues head to head and win 1 more game than them.

3. Why is Q no longer scowling despite the horror shoe defensively in our own zone?

What he says to the media and what he says in the room are different, we all know this. Fastest way to start losing a room is to go to the media and *****. Lets not act like he is all rainbows and sunshine in the room.

4. Is line #2 (the Panarin Anisimov Kane line getting it's 2nd wind and normalcy again ..or we it "just Winnipeg" ?

Panarin and the line looked much better and the goals weren't lucky type goals so it appears they are ramping back up. AA looked refreshed last game.

5.Can Panarin get to 72 points...matching the number on his back ..which is what I exactly predicted for him before the season sarted?

Nice way to brag while hiding it in a question. Can you link the thread? I want to see what other predicted as well.

I will ask again for you to explain why Seabrook is incompetent for breaking his stick on a stretch pass? Anyone who has played or knows anything over the basics would know that intelligence has nothing to do with that situation.

RFIP

I LOVE CRAWFORD!
Mar 6, 2011
For ME I don't care if Toews and Kane for that matter EVER register another point in their collective careers. What they have done for this franchise is worth $100 mil per to me.

There comes a point in a super star's career where they become above criticism do to your accomplishments both individually and for your team.

That point was reached in my book after cup #2...let alone #3.

Blackhawks

Jul 25, 2007
I don't usually read fiddys posts and when I do more time than the other I don't understand them and when I do its just an over exaggeration and in this case it might be as well but he does bring up very good points about Toews, there really is no excuse for a $10.5M player to be invisible almost all season long and it's not like his elite D game is there either. Yes he has done great things in the past but that 10.5 is being paid for now not the past . Commit to the Indian! I am still hoping he shows up in the playoffs big time.

Any Colour You Like

Regular bean eater
Nov 13, 2011
Boston U
1. Country club
2. In the division? Probably not.
3. Country club
4. I'm sure they'd be better if Kyle Turris were on the line instead.
5. Who cares?

BreadKick

Feb 7, 2016
1. For me all the Toews "underperformance" speculations look like trolling. I have some doubts about the 3 cups without Toews and this fact alone makes 10.5 millions per year just fine.

He is not scoring. Are we sure that is his main target? His main duty? He is the captain too, not just player. His duty is to glue the team, bring it to the playoffs and further. He makes this part just fine. Has he ever been scratched? Have you ever heard Q making any complains or were here any questions about his performance outside our speculations? No. So I am sure everything is fine with Toews, and that is not the end of the season.

3. Q is not scowling, because these games make no difference, they are just practice before the playoffs.

4. The 2nd line was not gone cold at all, maybe Anisimov a little tired and Kane double shifted too much. Panarin played just fine all the season long if you look closely. Their performance depends on dmen playing along too. I think this line will be just fine in POs.

5. Panarin is in his best mode when under pressure. I am sure he will get his points in POs.

BobbyJet

Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
1. For me all the Toews "underperformance" speculations look like trolling. I have some doubts about the 3 cups without Toews and this fact alone makes 10.5 millions per year just fine.

He is not scoring. Are we sure that is his main target? His main duty? He is the captain too, not just player. His duty is to glue the team, bring it to the playoffs and further. He makes this part just fine. Has he ever been scratched? Have you ever heard Q making any complains or were here any questions about his performance outside our speculations? No. So I am sure everything is fine with Toews, and that is not the end of the season.

3. Q is not scowling, because these games make no difference, they are just practice before the playoffs.

4. The 2nd line was not gone cold at all, maybe Anisimov a little tired and Kane double shifted too much. Panarin played just fine all the season long if you look closely. Their performance depends on dmen playing along too. I think this line will be just fine in POs.

5. Panarin is in his best mode when under pressure. I am sure he will get his points in POs

#4 is a view through rose coloured glasses.

#5 is something yet to be seen (in the NHL) and is a hope I'm sure all Blackhawk fans have.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Again..so what other team in the league pays a guy $10.5 million average for a cap hit who not only never scored a Pont a game in his career for a whole season but this year may not even get 60 points ..AND even worse ...has such a low shot total which has declined even compared to his career average this year? Is he even "dangerous" to opponents as a scoring anymore as he used to be?

Well..they paid him this for 8 years from the beginning of this season and they expected him Not to be a scoring threat?Come on..you know and I know Toews has NOT had a good season as a lot of his stats are down from even career average. ..Yes you can blame lower assists on lack of production by his linemates..But that does not excuse his lower goals production and his lower shot totals (I mean shots on goal...I suspect his total shots attempted is way down but cannot confirm this...There is no stat to measure what the eyeball test tells me..he just looks a lot slower to loose pucks and loses more puck battles. .again I cannot prove this but it appears to me this is the case ...He seems to get "handled"more easily by opposing d-men and loses the puck more as a consequence (this is not considered a turnover) but his attempts at attacking are being stopped more frequently than I can recall from past years...He no longer seems to be able to skate with puck control past and around defenders as well as in his "touth" years..He may not have scored on such abilities on the past years but at least you could say he posed a danger to score..and he was getting g off more shots on goal..

A post above suggest a loss of "jump" which will return with more rest (and he is supposed to get more rest in playoffs?Come on!).

Rather I see a decline in compete level. .in skating speed..in want
.in even bothering to try to take shots some nights...Poor conditioning this year? Been there done that ? (But if so with him why not with Kane?)...Poor wingman? Then forget assists..you take the bull by the horns and to compensate you need to shoot more than ever before or finish better than ever before or a combo of both..but this has not happened.

As to paying any supposed 1C that much money for so little production ,I cannot believe fans of any other team would defend such a high paid "star" who contributed do little for the bucks..this season.

I cannot believe people of this board are somehow defending Toews for his pkay this season.

The retort is always..he will be worth the money in playoffs..OK ..if he magically starts producing big..carries the team...leads by example of production..dominates the ice on his shifts. .Then and Only then will I wipe the slate clean in terms of criticizing him for his poor regular season.

But if he continues stinking in playoffs ? What say you who defend his poir regular season then?

I do not by the he is saving himself for playoffs malarkey ...that coasting through the refusal season is OK ...for any player including Toews...but if being lazy in regular season is overturned by the greatest flip the switch contribution in playoffs then I guess I will have to just accept such a "deal with the devil and admit a lazy player in 3/4 of regular season games is able to turn it all around and be an "A" effort and an "A" talent player in the playoffs. But I really doubt we see that

Now IF there is avphysical/medical problem causing his poor play thus season then I apologize to Toews for calling him a lazy coaster this regular season...The fact is he no longer seems much of an offensive threat to opponents ...and that is the bottom line whether it is just lazy play or whether the ability has declined due to medical/physical issues .with him.

.But people are fine with a $10.5 mil ion guy producing so little return on investment? I do not understand it.

BobbyJet

Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Obviously this is just yet another new thread to bash Toews. How many is that?

I think you have more than made your point but a word of advise: defer your evaluation of Toews and the team until late spring or early summer.

Backyard Hockey

Dealing With It
Feb 13, 2015
The Toews criticism is fair. He is the highest paid player in the NHL

He's had a very underwhelming season and has been invisible for many games. I expect more from the highest paid player in the league.

His big contract is for what he will do, not what he did. That's the way sports contracts work. To date this season, he simply has not been a $10.5m player. Hopefully that changes in the playoffs.

The other guy who makes $10.5m? Playing with two brand new line mates this season. One of whom doesn't speak English. That guy is helping a rookie win the Calder. That guy has made a so so center a 2nd line fixture. That guy is the MVP of the league.

One guy is earning the $10.5 this year. One isn't. Very simple. Again, hopefully the playoffs earn the $

But let's add #6 - will Dale Vermette pot a goal in the rs?

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
So update on April 4th prior to Yotes playing STL tonight.

If STL wins in regulation they go to 105 points ...forces Hawks to win out all 3 final games and STL to lose out their final 2 games in regulation in order for the Hawks to tie in points and rank ahead I ROW.
IF Yotes steal a win in regulation tonight vs.STL then Hawks can still lose to Yotes on Tuesday night but could still finish ahead by beating STL in regulation Thursday night and taking 2 points in the final game in Columbus if STL blows tge last game at home against a resting players Caps team..Unlikely but possible. CBJ also likely to play hard to beat us at home in front of their fans to make a good impression towards next season and to take pride in preventing us from getting 2nd and a hone ice advantage for our series with STL.

There are those who argue better for the Hawks to rest players rather than push hard to get 2nd if STL blows it enough to allow us to to that.

Those wanting us to rest players will be hoping STL gets a win tonight and gets at least a point against us on Thursday night..making the final game meaningless for both and so in that event we will tank the game in Columbus by resting all our top players that final game.

ChiHawk21

Jan 15, 2011
literally the only difference between the hawks and stars record for the whole entire year is they have 2 more wins and 2 more ot losses. that is NOTHING. Playoff time is coming lets goo.

BobbyJet

Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
So update on April 4th prior to Yotes playing STL tonight.

If STL wins in regulation they go to 105 points ...forces Hawks to win out all 3 final games and STL to lose out their final 2 games in regulation in order for the Hawks to tie in points and rank ahead I ROW.
IF Yotes steal a win in regulation tonight vs.STL then Hawks can still lose to Yotes on Tuesday night but could still finish ahead by beating STL in regulation Thursday night and taking 2 points in the final game in Columbus if STL blows tge last game at home against a resting players Caps team..Unlikely but possible. CBJ also likely to play hard to beat us at home in front of their fans to make a good impression towards next season and to take pride in preventing us from getting 2nd and a hone ice advantage for our series with STL.

There are those who argue better for the Hawks to rest players rather than push hard to get 2nd if STL blows it enough to allow us to to that.

Those wanting us to rest players will be hoping STL gets a win tonight and gets at least a point against us on Thursday night..making the final game meaningless for both and so in that event we will tank the game in Columbus by resting all our top players that final game.

Rest or not to rest is a tough call. It is the coaches responsibility to gauge each players state and configure the roster accordingly.

If I were Q I'd:

1/ wouldn't rush Hossa or Shaw back.
2/ Q should have a very good idea of who needs rest and who doesn't but if necessary have a serious one on one with pretty much all of the players to get a better feel of where they are mentally and physically.
3/ If Q feels it's necessary to rest any or many of the core group in the last 3 games, so be it.

Q has stated publicly that he has tried to even out ice time down the stretch and looking at the game box scores lately the distribution throughout the roster seems to be reasonable.

That said however, if Hawks as a team are indeed fatigued to the point where they need a full summer to recover, as a few posters are claiming, it won't matter one way or the other, hence Q may as well treat the final 3 RS games like the playoffs have already began. I'm not buying that argument. We saw a hint of the real Hawk team in the first 39 minutes of the Bruin game yesterday. I'd like to think that is what we will see beginning in mid April.

LordKOTL

Abuse of Officials
Aug 15, 2014
Pacific NW
For 10.5M Toews this year has been very underwhelming as compared to Kane, who burnt up the rest of the league.

The caveat to that is that it's year 1 of 8. He's got plenty of time to return to overwhelming.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad