Speculation: 5 Best TDL Players

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
I'd be absolutely shocked if Bob is traded. Such a bad TDL fit for a few reasons:

1. If Columbus is in playoff position - trading their #1 goalie away pretty much is the equivalent of them throwing in the towel (forget qualifying for playoffs - you don't win in playoffs playing a backup goalie)

2. Bob has a really bad playoff record. Like - really bad. I'm a habs fan and I know that when people talk about Price sometimes they bring up his playoff record in a negative light - and to a certain point it's true, he's never won a cup or such. But Carey Price is great in the playoffs compared to Bob. Bob has played very little, and generally done bad. What contender will overpay for a #1 goalie whose generally seen as bad in the playoffs? And you don't trade for him to be a backup either.

Can't see Bob moving at the TDL.

Goalie markets are really really weird so I feel you on all that for sure, though I wouldn't rule it out.

My overall thought on Bob is whomever signs him in UFA is going to heavily regret it for a long time.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
It is too early to determine who the best players available are. Teams like Columbus might cement their playoff spot and choose to keep players. Teams like Ottawa might re-sign their players. If I had to choose the best player today, it would be Mark Stone. He's one of the best wingers in the league and the type of guy who could come into a room and help spark a playoff team.

There is no such thing as too early in hockey. We know the current state of many teams and players and the chances of either of those situations changing are historically very low. If things do change then its nbd but that doesn't prevent discussion based on the set conditions we have today.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
I'd be absolutely shocked if Bob is traded. Such a bad TDL fit for a few reasons:

1. If Columbus is in playoff position - trading their #1 goalie away pretty much is the equivalent of them throwing in the towel (forget qualifying for playoffs - you don't win in playoffs playing a backup goalie)

2. Bob has a really bad playoff record. Like - really bad. I'm a habs fan and I know that when people talk about Price sometimes they bring up his playoff record in a negative light - and to a certain point it's true, he's never won a cup or such. But Carey Price is great in the playoffs compared to Bob. Bob has played very little, and generally done bad. What contender will overpay for a #1 goalie whose generally seen as bad in the playoffs? And you don't trade for him to be a backup either.

Can't see Bob moving at the TDL.

If I am Columbus and their big free agents aren't staying, I would trade both Bobrovsky and Panarin rather than lose them for nothing.

Sustained success is more important than one shot at a playoff run. Getting two first round picks, two prospects, and 2-4 other pieces of varying value could put Columbus in a position where they have the currency to add players in the upcoming off season. An example of this would be that if the Islanders had traded Tavares at the deadline, they would have been likely to get the kind of pieces that could have formed a big chunk of an eventual Ryan O'Reilly trade package. Is O'Reilly as good as Tavares? Maybe not. But the Islanders would be in a much better position right now if they had the currency to replace Tavares in the off season while coming close to breaking even.

Teams don't have to use picks to select prospects, they can be used as currency in future trades, so it makes no sense for a team in Columbus' position to pass on the kind of currency they'd get in return for Bobrovosky and Panarin in order to get one last run out of both of them.

Reactions: Meeqs

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
Elite scorers are not luxuries, especially not when they’re 4th on the team in points. If Makar is ever able to produce enough to make Barrie expendable, we can start thinking about cashing in on him then. But we’ve got a long ways to go to get there & even if Makar does one day match Barrie’s ability to produce, then that’s still not a reason to move Barrie...especially with EJ & Cole’s eventual slowdowns opening spots for Meloche & Timmins to fight for in the long run.

I guess it’s possible that we use Tyson & the Sens pick to trade for someone like Draisaitl, but that seems highly unlikely.

We are clearly of 2 very very different mindsets. So I'll be leaving the conversation here as there is no common ground and none of this is what the thread is for.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
I think he would be the most valuable next year. Most TDL deals are pure rentals, most teams probably don't want to pay the extra for that extra time. Unless they plan to sign him.

I would say that would make it the most likely time for him to be moved however there is no doubt that historically(with the exception of bad contracts) that players with term return far more assets for multiple reasons

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
If I am Columbus and their big free agents aren't staying, I would trade both Bobrovsky and Panarin rather than lose them for nothing.

Sustained success is more important than one shot at a playoff run. Getting two first round picks, two prospects, and 2-4 other pieces of varying value could put Columbus in a position where they have the currency to add players in the upcoming off season. An example of this would be that if the Islanders had traded Tavares at the deadline, they would have been likely to get the kind of pieces that could have formed a big chunk of an eventual Ryan O'Reilly trade package. Is O'Reilly as good as Tavares? Maybe not. But the Islanders would be in a much better position right now if they had the currency to replace Tavares in the off season while coming close to breaking even.

Teams don't have to use picks to select prospects, they can be used as currency in future trades, so it makes no sense for a team in Columbus' position to pass on the kind of currency they'd get in return for Bobrovosky and Panarin in order to get one last run out of both of them.

Panarin? Sure - everything you say makes sense. Still - the way i've always looked at it is there are two sides to every coin.

Forget Panarin and Bob exist for a minute. Think strictly of Columbus, in a playoff spot, near division lead, and thinking they have a legit shot at contending this year. TDL is approaching. If they decide they are 1 player away from contending, they'd normally add at the TDL. Wouldn't the opposite be true? Yes they might lose Panarin for nothing - but who would they trade him to? A team in an exact same position as they are who would pay a 1st round pick (let's suppose that's the cost) to land him? Why wouldn't Columbus do the same, and just keep him and go on their own run?

I won't get into Tavares because I disagree strongly, but no point opening that can of worms here.

The one thing that is completely unique is Bob and a #1 goalie. It's one thing to trade away a Panarin - if you do, you still have forwards, you still have wingers, etc. The gap between a #1 goalie (and a vezina caliber goalie) and a backup is often night and day. It's the one position you can't afford to lose. Trading Bob away is the equivalent of throwing in the towel. It is NOT the same as trading Panarin away.

To be fair - i'm not very familiar with who their backup goalie is. I suppose if he's a complete stud and they have faith they could go on a strong playoff run with him, maybe trade Bob too.

Taylorst

Jun 26, 2018

I don't think Columbus will get a great offer just because it was published both players have no intention whatsoever of resigning with Columbus and their salaries make it difficult to find a taker. Most teams that have cap space won't trade away solid picks or assets unless they knew those players would sign long term and it's easier just to wait for free agency and not lose anything valuable,

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
I agree with what you're saying.
Guess the point is that they've gotta get their asses in gear and sign them.
Both of possible.

It takes 2 to make a deal and both parties have shown indications that they will test UFA (as any reasonable player should right now).

Taylorst

Jun 26, 2018
I would say that would make it the most likely time for him to be moved however there is no doubt that historically(with the exception of bad contracts) that players with term return far more assets for multiple reasons

Agreed , but if your Stan bowman you'll give up 2 2nd round picks for a washed up timo lol that's desperation at its best lol

Taylorst

Jun 26, 2018
It takes 2 to make a deal and both parties have shown indications that they will test UFA (as any reasonable player should right now).

I think this upcoming class of free agents know that the market has never been better to max out on their salaries especially with the new CBA coming. Things could change that would affect them negatively if they wait a year or 2 .

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
I think this upcoming class of free agents know that the market has never been better to max out on their salaries especially with the new CBA coming. Things could change that would affect them negatively if they wait a year or 2 .

Especially after what players got paid this last year, every single good player should go to UFA. There is no reason not to.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
We are clearly of 2 very very different mindsets. So I'll be leaving the conversation here as there is no common ground and none of this is what the thread is for.

How is discussing why on earth the team would consider trading it's best blueliner & 4th leading scorer, not what a thread suggesting that Barrie will be trade bait, is for? :huh:

Taylorst

Jun 26, 2018
Especially after what players got paid this last year, every single good player should go to UFA. There is no reason not to.

It wouldn't shock me to see panarin get more than 9.5 million , you have laine, Skinner , Matthews and more all up for raises and I think your going to see some ridiculous money thrown at these guys . Trouba and karlsson will easily come in at 9 or 11 million .

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
It wouldn't shock me to see panarin get more than 9.5 million , you have laine, Skinner , Matthews and more all up for raises and I think your going to see some ridiculous money thrown at these guys . Trouba and karlsson will easily come in at 9 or 11 million .

I see Panarin, and Stone both over 10. I see Duchene and Skinner getting close. RFA's are where it'll really happen. Both AM, Marner, Rants, Laine and more could all get double digits.

Taylorst

Jun 26, 2018
I see Panarin, and Stone both over 10. I see Duchene and Skinner getting close. RFA's are where it'll really happen. Both AM, Marner, Rants, Laine and more could all get double digits.

I completely agree with your point. It will be interesting to see how Toronto does the balancing act with their cap next year and in the future. Toronto won't be able to hold all of those players and have 3 or 4 players making 10 million plus.

Skinner is having a fantastic year I could see him and panarin both getting over 10 million stone as much as a good player as he is I think he and Duchene bring a lot of negative baggage and that may impact his ceiling.

The 2 big questioms are does trouba walk and how much and karlsson I think is going to walk and he ends up with something In the range of 10.5 and 11 million trouba probably around 8.5 to 9 million.

And laine my guess he probably gets around 12 to 13 million just because his age and how good he is.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
I completely agree with your point. It will be interesting to see how Toronto does the balancing act with their cap next year and in the future. Toronto won't be able to hold all of those players and have 3 or 4 players making 10 million plus.

Skinner is having a fantastic year I could see him and panarin both getting over 10 million stone as much as a good player as he is I think he and Duchene bring a lot of negative baggage and that may impact his ceiling.

The 2 big questioms are does trouba walk and how much and karlsson I think is going to walk and he ends up with something In the range of 10.5 and 11 million trouba probably around 8.5 to 9 million.

And laine my guess he probably gets around 12 to 13 million just because his age and how good he is.

When PC is so bad at his job he doesn't just ruin the Oilers, but every teams cap situation haha

Taylorst

Jun 26, 2018
When PC is so bad at his job he doesn't just ruin the Oilers, but every teams cap situation haha

Lol . These GMs aren't to smart. Chicago at least gradually paid it's players and then on their last contract after winning 2 cups on their way to their 3rd is when toews and Kane got paid. But now after all that winning it catches up to them.
Toronto , Winnipeg are doing things backwards paying these guys ridiculous money before they won anything, Tavares should have never been given that salary, Toronto put themselves in a box by doing that without any Stanley cups yet.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada

The way Stone spoke before the season started I really thought he would have resigned by now.
My Oilers are the king of messing things up and our decade of missing the playoffs and what we've done since going to the playoffs is solid proof of it, but Ottawa has found a new equation on how to fail.

Sharksfan83

Jul 27, 2010
What would Karlsson get at the TDL? Remembering that if it's to the East Coast the price increases by a 1st..

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
What would Karlsson get at the TDL? Remembering that if it's to the East Coast the price increases by a 1st..
Kind of unprecedented talent to be available at the deadline but i’ll say a first, a teams top prospect, and something else (another pick or a lower level prospect).

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY
Certainly males sense in the long run for the Jackets to deal Panarin. As a rental he would likely be the begets name available at the deadline and the return could be tremendous.

If however they are in a playoff position at the deadline I seriously doubt a deal happens.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
[MOD WARNING] All the people who ripped Craig Button should be posting in this thread. I am taking attendance BTW.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
It's very difficult to make a proposal on this site.

I just think Toronto have more than a few attractive pieces and if a top line Dman is plausible.... you have to give, to get. Especially when it doesn't create significant holes.

Doubt Parayko is being shopped though.

Hi5.

Good post.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad