5 arenas hosting the Stanley Cup and NBA playoffs in 2024

LightningStorm

Lightning/Mets/Vikings
Dec 19, 2008
Pacific NW, USA
With the playoffs for both the NHL and NBA beginning yesterday, 5 of the shared arenas between the 2 leagues are hosting both playoffs in the first round: Boston, New York, Dallas, Denver, and Los Angeles. Both teams in Boston and NY have home ice/court, so you'll see games on back to back days, which often negatively affects the ice quality. Dallas and Denver will have their teams in town at different times, where for LA, all 3 made the playoffs, with the Clippers being the one with home court advantage, so the Lakers and Kings will be in town at the same time. This is also the Clippers last season at the Crypto.com Arena, leading to the end to it being uniquely busy as the only 3 team arena during NHL and NBA season.

This is a big example for how with the big 4 sports leagues, the NHL and NBA are, probably by far, the 2 leagues who have to work together the most. Not only their seasons more or less perfectly overlapping, but also the 10 shared arenas.

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
How many arenas are shared by NBA and NHL?

Next season it will be Utah, Chicago, Toronto, Washington, New York, Detroit, Boston, Philly, Dallas, and LA. Anymore?

Reaser

May 19, 2021
How many arenas are shared by NBA and NHL?

Next season it will be Utah, Chicago, Toronto, Washington, New York, Detroit, Boston, Philly, Dallas, and LA. Anymore?

Colorado (Denver.)

10 now, Utah makes 11 next year.

jetsmooseice

Let Chevy Cook
Feb 20, 2020
For what it's worth I'm sure all of the arenas hosting NHL playoff games have other events with floor seating taking place the day before/after hockey games, even if there's no NBA team there. Just another day at the office for the arena staff...

Reactions: Bostonzamboni

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Unless I'm mistaken, years back in maybe 2012 the Staples Center hosted a Kings, Lakers and Clippers playoff game all in the same day. There was a time lapse video on twitter showing rh arena staff changing from ice, to the Lakers court, to the Clippers court.

(Might have been regular season tho)

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
This is a big example for how with the big 4 sports leagues, the NHL and NBA are, probably by far, the 2 leagues who have to work together the most. Not only their seasons more or less perfectly overlapping, but also the 10 shared arenas.
MSL/NFL would have to work together if MSL was getting at least half the attendance that the NFL does, which right now only occurs in Seattle and Atlanta. Carolina, NE also play in the NFL stadiums. Dimensions are a match basically. But, due to the sheer difference in attendance for most places, MSL needs 25K stadiums vs the 70K for the NFL.

NHL/NBA sharing makes the most logistically sense for a city. But, as we are seeing in the NHL's quest of new arenas for AZ and trying to return to Houston, and moving a team to SLC, will have more and more consolidation between the 2 franchises with how arena management deals work.

Moving forward Seattle will get an NBA team down the line. NBA LV team will have their own arena from the sounds of things as would the NHL ATL team. Philly Sixers are looking to build their own arena vs being a tenant for the Flyers. So, there will be a split there. SLC will share now and into the future.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
NHL and NBA cohabitation of an arena is at least a roughly equal partnership, even if in basically all circumstances the NBA is a de facto majority partner. There's a rough parity there even if the NBA has a contractual first dibs.

NFL and MLS, though? Look, I don't deny that some MLS teams have good and passionate followings, but any relationship there is the NFL dictating something and the MLS graciously accepting whatever they can get.

KevFu

May 22, 2009
Phoenix from Rochester via New Orleans
Unless I'm mistaken, years back in maybe 2012 the Staples Center hosted a Kings, Lakers and Clippers playoff game all in the same day. There was a time lapse video on twitter showing rh arena staff changing from ice, to the Lakers court, to the Clippers court.

(Might have been regular season tho)

I don't think it was 3 games in one day, I think it was just a ton of games in weekend...

May 17 - Kings vs Coyotes
May 18 - Lakers vs Thunder
May 19 - Clippers vs Spurs, Lakers vs Thunder
May 20 - Kings vs Coyotes, Clippers vs Spurs

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
NHL and NBA cohabitation of an arena is at least a roughly equal partnership, even if in basically all circumstances the NBA is a de facto majority partner. There's a rough parity there even if the NBA has a contractual first dibs.

NFL and MLS, though? Look, I don't deny that some MLS teams have good and passionate followings, but any relationship there is the NFL dictating something and the MLS graciously accepting whatever they can get.
Limited overlap with mls and nfl compared to nfl and nba.

Of the teams sharing arenas. NY, Col, Tor, Was, and now Utah I think are owned by same entity.
Bos, Phi, LA, (minority stake by kings owner in lakers), Chi, Det, are different t owners.

NBA I believe has priority. In the PO can do both games on same day so long as nba game is the early one. Can’t do nhl first because of OT can be very long. Even a couple of OTs in nba won’t delay an nhl game.

Reactions: Bostonzamboni

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad