GDT: 5/9 11:30 AM - Charlie Jacobs, Cam Neely, Don Sweeney and Jim Montgomery finally answer questions - NESN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Boston Bruins CEO Charlie Jacobs, President Cam Neely, General Manager Don Sweeney and Head Coach Jim Montgomery will be available to the media on Tuesday, May 9, at TD Garden beginning at 11:30 a.m.

The press conference will be held in Legends, accessible to media via the Hub on Causeway main entrance beginning at 11 a.m. Media are advised that there will be no access permitted to the building via back security, and no working locations provided pre- and post-press conference as TD Garden will be functioning for a Boston Celtics game day. All media must exit the building following the conclusion of the press conference.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Since they will have waited 9 days after their exit to address the media it will have given them time to all get on the same page and to calm down.
Well... the media questions will be anything but calm and in the loaded variety

The obvious mishap/second guess is the goalie rotation that worked so well all season long

Interesting to see that Charlie Jacob will be there this time..

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
Sweeney and Neely are sitting pretty comfortably, in a sense. Last year a lot of the heat was directed their way and rightly so, and then again earlier this season during the Miller episode. This time though the roster and Don's trade activity, minus perhaps a couple of minor quibbles, were above reproach, even allowing for how much the team's future was compromised in the pursuit of short-term gain. Rather it's Montgomery that's got the most to answer for here, and the press conference will be interesting mainly for four things:

- how Monty explains some of his decision-making, having had some time to reflect
- how much the GM and Pres support the coach
- how much Sweeney is willing to put his hand up in taking any partial responsibility for lineup management during the playoffs
- and most importantly, what management's plan is for next season and beyond. What direction is the team taking from here?

Hopefully smart questions are asked, and we get a little more than the usual corporate speak from the panel. Might be expecting too much, but we'll see.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Hopefully smart questions are asked, and we get a little more than the usual corporate speak from the panel. Might be expecting too much, but we'll see.
All fair questions that Sweeney will probably try his best to dodge/corporate speak. Same with Charlie Jacobs.

Neely on the other hand... rarely beats around the bush. (Monty similar ish)

Now Sweeney if asked tough questions and pushed by people like Ty Anderson/Chris Gasper... might crack/become annoyed.

For me.. end of the day. Most interested in what Neely and Monty have to say.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
I‘ve never been a Sweeney fan and was very sour on Cam last season as well.

With that being said, how much can you hammer on them considering they provided the coach with statistically the best RS team of all time?

Last edited:

BlackFrancis

Athletic Supporter Patch Partner
Dec 14, 2013
Sweeney and Neely are sitting pretty comfortably, in a sense. Last year a lot of the heat was directed their way and rightly so, and then again earlier this season during the Miller episode. This time though the roster and Don's trade activity, minus perhaps a couple of minor quibbles, were above reproach, even allowing for how much the team's future was compromised in the pursuit of short-term gain. Rather it's Montgomery that's got the most to answer for here, and the press conference will be interesting mainly for four things:

- how Monty explains some of his decision-making, having had some time to reflect
- how much Sweeney is willing to put his hand up in taking any partial responsibility for lineup management during the playoffs
- and most importantly, what management's plan is for next season and beyond. What direction is the team taking from here?

I don't think Sweeney tells Montgomery who to dress on what line, as I don't think he's ever even coached a youth team.

Then again, I'm one of those nuts who doesn't believe Cam Neely is secretly scouting youth and professional leagues, searching for tall stiffs and racists to bring into the fold.

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
I don't think Sweeney tells Montgomery who to dress on what line, as I don't think he's ever even coached a youth team.

Then again, I'm one of those nuts who doesn't believe Cam Neely is secretly scouting youth and professional leagues, searching for tall stiffs and racists to bring into the fold.

No I wouldn't have thought so either, but I would assume there would be discussions at a higher level involving both Don and Jim about how to approach the playoffs, what the general strategy is, etc. At the end of the day lineups and tactics are the coach's ultimate responsibility, but certain aspects, such as what at least the intended or ideal goalie strategy is, could have input from the GM or other parties. I'm just curious if that gets addressed at all.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009

With that being said, how much can you hammer on them considering they provided the coach with statistically the best RS tean of all time?
The goalie rotation decision. How much input did Sweeney/Goalie Bob have on it.

It has been a failure in decision making for two out of three playoffs now...dating back to going with a hobbling Rask vs Islanders.

Also green lighting a less than healthy Bergeron and Krejci to return later in the series. Is this on a medical staff?

I don't believe anyone should be fired. But improvements when it comes to load management has to be acknowledged. The org needs to understand its players/goalies better. Considering age, injury/health, ability to play net for 5 games in a row etc.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut

I don't think time to reflect should change anything. He knows why he made certain decisions, all he has to do is reiterate them.

Last edited:
Reactions: Aussie Bruin

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
Sweeney did his job for once- he got the players & the kind of players needed for a deep run. Montgomery is the one who should be sweating tonight. His goalie & line decisions were questionable and I definitely want to know how he arrived at them. I also want to know what roles Essensa & the medical staff played- was he overly influenced by them or not enough??? :dunno:

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
The goalie rotation decision. How much input did Sweeney/Goalie Bob have on it.

It has been a failure in decision making for two out of three playoffs now...dating back to going with a hobbling Rask vs Islanders.

Also green lighting a less than healthy Bergeron and Krejci to return later in the series. Is this on a medical staff?

I don't believe anyone should be fired. But improvements when it comes to load management has to be acknowledged. The org needs to understand its players/goalies better. Considering age, injury/health, ability to play net for 5 games in a row etc.

Fair.

Babajingo

Oh I think the two shouldn't be sitting pretty. This whole year was predicated on the fact that the first and second line centers signed for 3.5 million combined. That saved their asses and they had nothing to do with it.
What they did after that, was great (minus the Miller thing). I wonder if anyone in the media has the huevos to ask about the Miller signing. Probably not. They got some playoff $$ for Mr Burns. That's all that matters.
Going forward, the Bruins have
- no significant picks for the next few years
- no real prospects
- no cap space
2 of 3 of these are the dynamic duos fault.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
I hope they take the players to task. They choked,

Montgomery will defend himself I would imagine, and the brass will be in his corner I would think, He needs to say why all of a sudden he viewed Swayman as an AHL goalie after a rotation all season. How he didnt go to him game 6 is right up there with the ancient pyramids and crop circles.

Prob won't get much, just can't wait to get it over with. Was such fun season, that lost it's luster once the players spit the bit.

Choke job for the ages, and forever a punchline, unless someone can replace them down the road

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
I hope they take the players to task. They choked,

Montgomery will defend himself I would imagine, and the brass will be in his corner I would think, He needs to say why all of a sudden he viewed Swayman as an AHL goalie after a rotation all season. How he didnt go to him game 6 is right up there with the ancient pyramids and crop circles.

Prob won't get much, just can't wait to get it over with. Was such fun season, that lost it's luster once the players spit the bit.

Choke job for the ages, and forever a punchline, unless someone can replace them down the road
"Goalie Bob" He'll say he had/has complete confidence in "Goalie Bob" :mad:

UncleRico

May 8, 2017

With that being said, how much can you hammer on them considering they provided the coach with statistically the best RS team of all time?
A fair amount. They mortgaged two years of top draft assets and $4.5m in future cap space for a first round exit. Now they have minimal cap space, a lack of assets and no championship. Sure it’s much more on the players, but you don’t get to mortgage the future like that and come out unscathed.

Ludwig Fell Down

Feb 19, 2005
South Shore, MA
I wonder if anyone will bring up the Mitchell Miller signing. Neely and Sweeney had separate press conferences and each deflected blame. Jacobs was no one to be found. With all three in the same place at the same time, I would love to hear a question as to who made the final decision to sign Miller and see if anyone steps up. More likely, they will refer back to the "results" of the independent investigation and say they have learned collectively and are moving forward.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
No matter what they say or do it will never be enough for certain posters.
That is completely untrue, we could start with Chucky saying daddy is selling the team, Sweeney having a meltdown and admitting he has made some awful moves (not so much this year) and has undervalued tough, physical players, especially defensemen, Monty owning up and admitting he screwed up with the lineup in the post season and playing Ullmark after game 5 and Neely saying he wants a team like the Panthers, fast, tough, talented and mean that won't take any shit from other teams or disappear when it gets tough.

All that and I would be very happy.

I expect " Hey look how good Florida is doing"

I wonder if anyone will bring up the Mitchell Miller signing. Neely and Sweeney had separate press conferences and each deflected blame. Jacobs was no one to be found. With all three in the same place at the same time, I would love to hear a question as to who made the final decision to sign Miller and see if anyone steps up. More likely, they will refer back to the "results" of the independent investigation and say they have learned collectively and are moving forward.
"We're moving on from that, next question"

mar2kbos

Sep 28, 2017
I guess if I was a news reporter I’d ask the simple yet hardest question. What do believe was the fatal flaw that made this team come up short in the playoffs. After a record breaking regular season with all the supposed pieces there what do believe ended up being the flaw that was exploited?

Reactions: BMC
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad