5 & 6 Defence to Start the Year?

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
I think Kivihalme is the dark horse. I have no idea how his game will translate, but I've read plenty of good things about him.

Sami Hoffrén@shoffren
Reports from Finland said that Teemu Kivihalme was the best defenceman in SM-liiga playoffs. A bit surprised he didn't get selected to Finland's WC team.
These are all promising takes, I have no idea about this player but sounds like a reasonable replacement for Rosen as someone who could play on the bottom pair. How about him and Holl to start and Dermott can move up when he comes back and push Ceci down with this guy.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
Kivihalme is an interesting thought...

I'm going to go crazy and say Borgman-Holl to start the year, barring any new signings/trades. It'll probably be Marincin, but I'm going with the gut feeling Borgman surprises in camp.

I'd actually really like to see the Leafs sign a cheapish veteran bottom pairing guy, but until the Marner contract is done I'm just going to assume we have no (or possibly negative) cap space.

I'm also really hoping Dubas can find a more stable backup goalie option on the cheap, but that's another story.

Terrible GM

Jul 10, 2013
Maritimes
Barrie was a top paring D man with the Avs. He averaged almost 22 minutes a game. Why would he be pushed to the second pairing. He is the best RHD the Leafs have had in years. The only way Rielly and Barrie are not paired together is if they have problems balancing the pinch, but I don't think this will happen.

Both of these guys should be averaging 20 to 22 minutes during the regular season, and up to 25 in the post season.

Reactions: Tmart335

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
Question for the smart people, if Sandin/Liljegren play this season, will they be eligible for the expansion draft? Im hazy on the rules from last time.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
If Ceci doesn't get a good chance to play top-4 this season, I think it's a mistake by Babcock.

We know Ceci didn't excel when he was placed in one of the toughest situations in the league. We don't know how he will do in a much better situation.

He won't be used as a 1st. pairing defender unless it is with Rielly.

ES TOI/g, for the Sens was Chabot 20:45 and Ceci 19:36.
ES TOI/g, for the Leafs was Rielly 19:27 and Gardiner 19:14.

Not sure who Ceci was partnered with, but odds are Rielly and Muzzin are better than anything he could have played with in Ottawa.

Senators were a disaster who pulled the plug on the season early.

Let's keep in mind, Rielly changed an old Ron Hainsey from a -16 Hurricane into a +30 Leafs, and in the process convinced the Senators he's worth 3.5 at age 38.

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
Barrie was a top paring D man with the Avs. He averaged almost 22 minutes a game. Why would he be pushed to the second pairing. He is the best RHD the Leafs have had in years. The only way Rielly and Barrie are not paired together is if they have problems balancing the pinch, but I don't think this will happen.

Both of these guys should be averaging 20 to 22 minutes during the regular season, and up to 25 in the post season.

Rielly managed to be elite with Ron Hainsey stapled to his hip, I think you run

Muzzin - Barrie
Rielly - Dermott

and play them both pretty evenly and shelter the hell out of Ceci - whoever. Rielly - Barrie as a situational pairing.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Number of players who could be in the 5-6 spot.

LHD
Borgman
Marincin
Harpur
Gravel
Kivihalme
Sandin

RHD
Liljegren
Lindgren
Holl
Duszak
Hollowell

Probably how I would rank the depth chart right now. Note that I forgot Sandin so I just threw him at the bottom because I don't think he's really in the running at the moment.

It will be an interesting camp.

The two guys from Europe, Kivihalme and Lindgren has some experience, and how it translates over here is the question.
Of course Kivihalme played small ice first.

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
Seeing as we shelter our 3rd pairing more than most teams, I'd like to see Liljegren get a cup of coffee for 9 games to see if he sticks and run some of the new signings at LHD. I hope he does stick as I would love to see how dynamic a Dermott/Liljegren pairing would be as our bottom pairing.

Top 4 are pretty much set, it just depends on how they want to pair them.

diehardleafsfan9878

Mar 9, 2015
I don't think that really shows a bad side to him. Buffalo was offsides cause of the guy he hit and he had support from Brown and Hyman. Took a swipe with really no risk that could've turned into a 2 on 1 for Toronto if he made contact with the puck.
Guess I missed that. That's what I get for posting at 2am.

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
to start i see
Rielly - Ceci
Muzzin - Barrie
Harpur - Holl

Blue Nate

Sep 27, 2017
St Catharines
I think Kiv, Harpur, and Gravel duke it out in camp for the 3rd LD spot. Borgman, Marincin, or Holl for 3rd RD? Its kinda ugly and the pairing will need to be heavily sheltered, regardless of who's on it.

While Barrie and Muzzin look like a great complimentary pairing, I really don't like the idea of Rielly and Ceci together. Ceci will likely get buried and Rielly will not be able to do the things that make him great 5v5. If the idea is to 'rehab' Ceci's confidence and place him in a position to succeed I don't really see how he can do that anywhere except the 3rd pairing, at least to start.

But then that leaves Rielly without a partner until Dermott gets back so I don't know. When is Dermott expected back again? late october?

diehardleafsfan9878

Mar 9, 2015
For our Scandinavian fans mainly Finnish because he is Finnish, for Kivihalme, would the v in his name be pronounced as a v, or would it be more like a W as in Kiwi?

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto

It's not a demotion, but more balanced ice time for our top 4. If we can add Ben Lovejoy or Dan Girardi to the right side, it would give us a lot of flexibility on the back end. Muzzin and Barrie together would make a great pairing because one is offensive and the other one is more defensive, but has a great slap shot. Could be a lethal pair that eats up minutes.

Rielly-Ceci/Lovejoy/Girardi
Muzzin-Barrie
Dermott-Ceci/Lovejoy/Girardi

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
Since only Two defenseman in the top 4 are PKers (Muzzin,Ceci), I think babs will put one more on the bottom pairing. Probably will be a fight between Harpur,Gravel, and Marincin on that third pairing. Holl in for Dermott until he is back

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Question for the smart people, if Sandin/Liljegren play this season, will they be eligible for the expansion draft? Im hazy on the rules from last time.

No bother are safe from the X draft.

Hogan86

Jun 21, 2016
Take your pick of Harpur, Lilijgren, Borgman and Marincin. I think Dubas may try and sign a more experienced guy for the bottom pair. Marc Methot or a Dan Girardi type. I'm not saying I'd like that but I could see if happening if a veteran was willing to come for a cheap deal. I'd much rather give Lili or Borgman a shot with Harpur. I feel like Harpur is the front runner for the number 5 spot. I do not want to see Marincin suit up.

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
I'd love it to be Borgman. I just hope he earns it. He's been buried behind our LD unfortunately for this Borgfan.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
I'm going to say Kivihalme at #5, even though I have never seen him play and I will go with Holl, Marincin, and Borgman rotating in as the #6 guy and Sandin/Liljegren need another season in the AHL

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
Is Kivihalme a physical guy? Not Borgman level but compared to Rielly maybe?

Well, I did little reading and watching of this guy. Never bothered before, since I never even though he was an option until somebody above mentioned him as a dark horse.

Surprisingly, he's an American, from Minnesota, and seems to have played his whole line North America - until going to Karpat after graduating Colorado College.

He sounds like a cerebral two-way defenseman. Not flashy at all. Good skater, effective passer, and sound positional player.

Still never seen him play, but he SOUNDS like he should be better than Harpur, Gravel, Marincin, and Holl.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad