Post-Game Talk: 5-3 win

Status
Not open for further replies.

ProjectPanthers

Podcast discussing the Florida Panthers
Mar 6, 2002
Towanna
linktr.ee
Montour's led the team in ice-time in both regular season and playoffs for the last two seasons. It's clear Maurice loves using him in all situations and is never shy about calling his number.

TotalHomer

Jan 3, 2022
I need that astronaut cousins pic

Here you go

nc2.png

pantherbot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2006
Montour's led the team in ice-time in both regular season and playoffs for the last two seasons. It's clear Maurice loves using him in all situations and is never shy about calling his number.

The guy's a horse and our best skating dman, he does a lot of things for the outlet and has been decent in the d-zone. But he's also been making dumb offensive decisions and his shot needs (needed?) re-calibration. Hoping last game gets him out of his funk.

Wish we could keep him, but he's getting a raise and unless he's taking $4M or less, just can't see any way we keep him.

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
Wish we could keep him, but he's getting a raise and unless he's taking $4M or less, just can't see any way we keep him.

which-surprised-pikachu-is-best-v0-wuwo7ywz4w4b1.jpg

He's easily getting +6mil and Glassman Ekblad has to be traded at the end of the season. Not sure why ppl expect Monty to settle for measly 4mil when he's been their best dman in the playoffs. If Gus their best dman in the playoffs then why Mo doesn't utilize him as such? I can't wait to see the surprised pikachu faces in this board when Monty is extended and Ekblad is shipped out in the next cargo train as soon as Zito gets his hands on Ekky's list of NMC teams.

TotalHomer

Jan 3, 2022
The guy's a horse and our best skating dman, he does a lot of things for the outlet and has been decent in the d-zone. But he's also been making dumb offensive decisions and his shot needs (needed?) re-calibration. Hoping last game gets him out of his funk.

If Monty takes 5 million and Reino 8, we can keep both. But yeah, Zito needs to do some magic to get Monty to take 5. Big selling point is the eight year since he is 30 years old. Teams would have to offer 7 on the open market to match and I don't see him leaving unless he gets 8 at least.

cap.png

Reactions: Jakeybonz

Chaos2k7

Believe!
Aug 10, 2003
Costa Rica
View attachment 859900

He's easily getting +6mil and Glassman Ekblad has to be traded at the end of the season. Not sure why ppl expect Monty to settle for measly 4mil when he's been their best dman in the playoffs. If Gus their best dman in the playoffs then why Mo doesn't utilize him as such? I can't wait to see the surprised pikachu faces in this board when Monty is extended and Ekblad is shipped out in the next cargo train as soon as Zito gets his hands on Ekky's list of NMC teams.
He isn't worth more than Forsling, if Monty was considered more important they would have extended him first.

pantherbot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2006

Didn't say he'd settle for $4M...just saying that's what it'll take and I don't see it happening, hence why I think we lose him.

Usage is situational...When there are more power plays, then Monty gets more ice time, when there are more penalty kills, Forsling/Ek get more ice time. What's undeniable is Forsling/Ek get the harder 5v5 assignments. Not sure you want to be rolling out Forsling/Monty as your top pair consistently against the top lines.

If we do end up trading Ekblad to keep Monty, I'm not going to complain or be that surprised, they aren't far off each other and it'll be up to Maurice/Zito to decide what's the best fit. But I still think the most likely scenario is we keep the Forsling/Ekblad top pair and go from there.

pantherbot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2006
If Monty takes 5 million and Reino 8, we can keep both. But yeah, Zito needs to do some magic to get Monty to take 5. Big selling point is the eight year since he is 30 years old. Teams would have to offer 7 on the open market to match and I don't see him leaving unless he gets 8 at least.

View attachment 859905

Yeah I was playing around with it and the above not impossible, but depends on a few things.

I don't think Lundell getting less than Luo, especially if he keeps playing well in playoffs. Lundell clearly ahead on the depth chart given his usage as 2nd-line Benny replacement. So I'd have him at $3M.

We could go with 21 skaters, but this year they seemed really reluctant to do it, so I figure we're minimum 22-23.

And the cap, we'll see where it lands, I was assuming $87.5M, only $300K difference, but could be meaningful when so close to cap. Hopefully it's the higher number, but with the Arizona situation and attendance only up like 2% year/year, we'll see.

Little Bobby Boo

Jul 30, 2014
I didn't watch a ton of regular season this year but ERod has to be the most average player ever. He just doesn't do anything overly positive or negative. It's so weird.

TotalHomer

Jan 3, 2022
Yeah I was playing around with it and the above not impossible, but depends on a few things.

I don't think Lundell getting less than Luo, especially if he keeps playing well in playoffs. Lundell clearly ahead on the depth chart given his usage as 2nd-line Benny replacement. So I'd have him at $3M.

We could go with 21 skaters, but this year they seemed really reluctant to do it, so I figure we're minimum 22-23.

And the cap, we'll see where it lands, I was assuming $87.5M, only $300K difference, but could be meaningful when so close to cap. Hopefully it's the higher number, but with the Arizona situation and attendance only up like 2% year/year, we'll see.

It's going to be super tight whatever the case. I'm still on the move Ekblad train, I think for the longevity of the cup window Montour is the better choice to keep. Not that I would like to move Ek atm but that 7.5 million cap space would resolve all our issues.

pantherbot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2006
Really curious on what Vladdy wants on his next deal. Dare to dream he takes a cap hit discount for term/cup chances?

3.0-3.5mil AAV?

Ship off Erod to Utah or something

Erod's not going anywhere...he just signed a 4-year deal to have some stability. Would be an awful look on the org. No way Zito does that. We're not Vegas...

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
If we do end up trading Ekblad to keep Monty, I'm not going to complain or be that surprised, they aren't far off each other and it'll be up to Maurice/Zito to decide what's the best fit. But I still think the most likely scenario is we keep the Forsling/Ekblad top pair and go from there.

This is the same situation with Ek as it was with Huby where ppl hail him as a top5 player in the league when he's easily closer to being a bottom5 player in the league.

I have no idea who this Ekblad you're watching because he's not a top pair player by any stretch of imagination. He's slow to gain speed and change direction, finds himself constantly behind the play and Gus has to bail him out, etc. One might argue that he's a smart dman with the puck but who cares when he's always chasing the puck like a headless chicken and can't make any plays in the o-zone when he has the mobility of a 747.

Zito isn't going to pay Ekblad +9mil per which he's going to get in the open market and he's not going to let Ekblad walk for free when Zito is going to need recoup some assets that he's lost in the course of building this team.

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
We have 20.866 to sign the following people

Reinhart - 8.5
Montour
Stenlund - 1.25
OEL - 2
Kuli - 1
Tarasenko - 2
Cousins -
Lorentz - 900
Lomberg - 900
Stolarz
Mahura - 950k
Lundell - 3M

I have no earthly clue how they handle the goaltending position. Stolarz is currently at 1.1 and Knight's salary is 4.5 (right now only 3.35 is counting against the cap)

Reinhart's upper limit is probably 9 within this organization. You hope it comes in under that, but we know he isnt getting more than Tkachuk

Montour's upper limit SHOULD be Forsling's contract so he will likely walk. He doesnt strike me as a take a discount guy

Not sure if they re-up Cousins but apparently he is so loved so maybe they do?

edit: Forgot about Lundell. He probably gets signed between 2-3M

pantherbot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2006
This is the same situation with Ek as it was with Huby where ppl hail him as a top5 player in the league when he's easily closer to being a bottom5 player in the league.

I have no idea who this Ekblad you're watching because he's not a top pair player by any stretch of imagination. He's slow to gain speed and change direction, finds himself constantly behind the play and Gus has to bail him out, etc. One might argue that he's a smart dman with the puck but who cares when he's always chasing the puck like a headless chicken and can't make any plays in the o-zone when he has the mobility of a 747.

Zito isn't going to pay Ekblad +9mil per which he's going to get in the open market and he's not going to let Ekblad walk for free when Zito is going to need recoup some assets that he's lost in the course of building this team.

Not the same situation at all. Huby had a monster year into his contract against lower competition and was already putting up big numbers in prior years, you can argue about his play all you want, but the stats were there and that's what gets a player paid. And for the record, I was also one of the few who were fine with shipping him out or only signing him to a fair (below market) contract.

Ekblad has clearly not trended in the direction we all wanted, he's not going to get a $9M contract. Hanifin just signed for $7.35M and is arguably the more attractive free agent. I could see Ekblad settle for $6-7M to stay. He's not getting a rise in the open market.

Ek has also played against top competition and is a big part of our defensive structure. Our defense turned back to mush when he was out for a bit toward end of the season. If you trade Ekblad for Monty, that's gonna be a rough go on defense next year. That's no insult to Monty, they just have different roles.

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
Erod's not going anywhere...he just signed a 4-year deal to have some stability. Would be an awful look on the org. No way Zito does that. We're not Vegas...

Stability in location or 12mil over 4 years?
No NTC.
But, I agree in a sense I doubt he's moved. Not cause he just signed but that he can lineup from 1st to 4th and look good until he has the puck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad