[5-2 WIN] Derek, Reviver Of Yak. Oilers Reach 10 Wins.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
I thought Roy's post-game interview was interesting, especially regarding his comments on Yakupov.

It's something along the lines of... "He brings speed, he brings deceptiveness. The opposition never knows what he's doing on the ice. Though we don't even know what he's doing out there half the time. He's a mystery.....an enigma if you will"

I think it says a lot about Yak. He has all the tools to succeed, but limited hockey IQ. Good to see that Roy's been giving him some pointers though. I want to see him succeed more than anyone.

Would have been epic if Roy added the bolded. :D

McDeathbyCheerios*

Lander has skillsets and size that is more applicable to NHL play. What he needs is a chance to build, feel that, and to gain confidence. What you're seeing is a player building his niche. Again a godsend that Nelson is a coach and recognizing this.

Where I'm completely out to lunch is in not recognizing Purcell. I haven't decoded that player. Nelson has, and a masterstroke putting him with Lander that I would never recognize. I still don't. Its working, I don't even know why. I don't speak Purcell yet, I'll have to try if this continues. Because this was Landers best NHL game ever.
Purcell is a weird player. He is a phenomenal penalty killer and with a defensive center is great defensively 5 on 5. To me he kind of reminds me of Eberle, with less offensive but more defense.

His offensive instincts are on point but he is hit or miss with his actual shot, good instincts bad execution. His penalty kill is honestly incredible, I've seen him kill a powerplay on his own like it was nothing. I think thats why Lander and him work. Lander gains his points and offensive zone time off his strong defensive play, and Purcell offensively strives on having possession of the puck

Fraser is the weird one on that line but my god the guy has a shot, but is an awful skater. Honestly I think we are the best team for him though as we have some very good skating coaches. If he can get his skating down I can see him being a very dangerous 3rd liner.

Alex87

May 26, 2008
Edmonton
Couple points:

(1) that Yak goal only happens because of Hall's determined backchecking. Rarely see him like that and he looked like Datsyuk on that play.

(2) not sure I agree with "put Yak with a 2C and look what happens". They tried him with a variety of players and he looked lost on every line.

Maybe it's simply because Roy is teaching on-ice, who knows?

I'm glad he's off the schneid buy there's a hella long way to go before he looks like a competent NHL player out there.

I think Replacement already covered this, but guys like Hall and Eberle had the benefit of playing with Shawn Horcoff when they broke into the league. Say what you want about Horc, but he was/is an intelligent, mature player.

Yakupov never really had that opportunity, or he had limited amounts of it, and this has hurt him. I actually think this is one of MacT's larger mistakes - playing him with Gagner last year or Draisaitl this year isn't really going to help his game. Having Yak play with a vet like Roy is an excellent decision, but an overdue one.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Fun game to watch.

Ebs and Nuge were clicking.

Yaks and Roy were clicking.

Klinkhammer is a beast...that can skate.

Lander looked phenomenal. I've been keeping an eye on him since he got drafted and this is the best game I've seen him play as an Oiler.

One thing that concerned me, was that Hallsy seemed to be pouting when the camera showed the bench when it was 4-2.

Was that my imagination?

I didn't see anything of the sort. Hall and Yak were laughing and joking after Yak's goal.

Hall is a professional with a competitive streak a mile wide and his team just won a game to get them to 10-22. I can forgive him not being on cloud 9.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Playing Yakupov in the top 6 with an NHL caliber center gets results. Who would have thought such a thing? Perhaps... an NHL Coach? Todd Nelson is the real deal and I can't stress how much I was a non believer in hiring yet another rookie coach. The team is responding well. Perron had to go, no complaints about Klinkhammer AND a 1st this year for him. He was a great player but it just crowded our top 9 too much. Yakupov was playing like a guy that went 1st overall. Superb.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ha_eRbUcwc&feature=share

I think every Oiler fan has said Yakupov should be in the top 6 for 2 years . I would think every NHL coach would too . So i am guessing that means Eakins is not an NHL coach . Oh what team is Eakins coaching again ? None . All is right in the universe , balance has been restored . The hockey gods punish us for Mac T **** ups
I have been an Oiler fan who wanted to trade Yakupov . I like Yakupov hoping he can now play like a 1st OA so we can keep the kid

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Fun game to watch.

Ebs and Nuge were clicking.

Yaks and Roy were clicking.

Klinkhammer is a beast...that can skate.

Lander looked phenomenal. I've been keeping an eye on him since he got drafted and this is the best game I've seen him play as an Oiler.

One thing that concerned me, was that Hallsy seemed to be pouting when the camera showed the bench when it was 4-2.

Was that my imagination?

Nothing breeds togetherness like success.

Nice picture in Journal;

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/spor...Oilers+Chicago+Blackhawks/10717086/story.html

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
I didn't see anything of the sort. Hall and Yak were laughing and joking after Yak's goal.

Hall is a professional with a competitive streak a mile wide and his team just won a game to get them to 10-22. I can forgive him not being on cloud 9.

You're pprobably right. Hall had a pretty intense glare in his eyes at the point I am talking about. It could very well be that I totally misread his body language.

I sure would like to see that camera shot again though.

Gunnersaurus Rex

Jan 14, 2008
When Yak scored, Hall looked pissed that he didn't get the pass. He was the last one over to celebrate.

At the end of the game when they were going off the ice, Hall looked like someone crapped in his water bottle.

Not sure what it is about him, but his attitude seems off. Almost like he's not happy if he's not the centre of attention. Can't quite figure him out.

phrenssoa

Nov 21, 2014
Winnipeg
When Yak scored, Hall looked pissed that he didn't get the pass. He was the last one over to celebrate.

At the end of the game when they were going off the ice, Hall looked like someone crapped in his water bottle.

Not sure what it is about him, but his attitude seems off. Almost like he's not happy if he's not the centre of attention. Can't quite figure him out.

Please not this again... :shakehead

Watch his post-game interview at tsn.ca... He seems as happy as anyone on the team.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton

LOL... :facepalm:

Alex87

May 26, 2008
Edmonton

Look at the picture in the EJ link that was posted two posts before you.

PositiveCashFlow

Snowmen fall to earth unassembled
Jul 10, 2007

Orly.jpg

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton

I'll just quote my post from earlier in the thread.

Go to the TSN.ca highlights of the game and listen to Hall's comments about Yakupov after the game. Huge smile on his face. Seemed very happy that Yakupov had a great game. Then watch until the end of the video after Nelson's comments and see them laughing and smiling together after Yakupov's goal (the rest of the linemates have already left for the bench) where he apparently was "cheesed" that he didn't get the puck.

g8pxplH.jpg

Yeah, Hall sure looks grumpy...

This kind of conspiracy theory BS has gone on here long enough.

And re-iterate what I said.

Enough with this conspiracy theory bull ****.

Hall seemed to be the happiest person in the building that Yakupov scored. Notice him stick check the Blackhawks defender so there is no way he'll be able to get a stick on Yak. Hall pretty much made it so Yakupov's only option was to take it to the net.

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
I really like how Nelson seems more concerned with line matching than zone starts. Pretty quiet night from Toews and Kane due to being out there against Hendy Gordon and Klink a lot of the time. LOL at a few posters who had Klink labelled as a plug not fit to play in the NHL after the Perron trade. Also, getting the RNH line away from the other teams top line has seemed to get their offensive mojo going again.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking

Hall seemed to be the happiest person in the building that Yakupov scored. Notice him stick check the Blackhawks defender so there is no way he'll be able to get a stick on Yak. Hall pretty much made it so Yakupov's only option was to take it to the net.

I posted the link to that exact picture a dozen posts ago and nobody noticed haha

thank you for enlarging it.

edit, oh wait, one poster noticed it.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
I posted the link to that exact picture a dozen posts ago and nobody noticed haha

thank you for enlarging it.

edit, oh wait, one poster noticed it.

I didn't even enlarge it. My post was from last night. I took a screen shot of the TSN highlights package last night on their website. The Journal just coincidentally used the exact same image lol.

mangdas

May 2, 2013
Edmonton
Good game. Hawks played really bad but that's not to take away from the Oilers effort. They're playing better every game. Roy and Yakupov look good together. Klinkhammer is awesome out there too.

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006
Good game. Hawks played really bad but that's not to take away from the Oilers effort. They're playing better every game. Roy and Yakupov look good together. Klinkhammer is awesome out there too.

I felt kinda bad for the hawks with their ONLY play the entire game being the bounce off the pads sneakiness. That's all they tried ALL GAME LONG. They seem to lose their heads a bit playing the Oilers.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
I didn't even enlarge it. My post was from last night. I took a screen shot of the TSN highlights package last night on their website. The Journal just coincidentally used the exact same image lol.

You're holding out on us! Joanne Ireland? Jim Matheson? Deepthroat? :D

Last edited:

488fitter

May 25, 2010
Edmonton

I'm assuming Hall was exhausted at the time of the goal since he ended his shift (Nuge + Ebs on the bench already) with a mad sprint to the net. Not a lack of emotion, more a lack of energy it looks like to me.

Hall was last in the huddle, but when he got there, Yak was quick to reach behind himself to acknowledge him. At which point they seemed to share smiles and laugh about the play before heading to the bench...

yeWHq8B.gif

Digging deep if you think Hall was mad that he didn't get the pass in that scenario. Also, he was mostly covered and on his backhand when Nail decided to bury it himself. Good decision.

actionjackson

Jun 22, 2010

Or...maybe it was a real thing...and a few people noticed it...not sure why a few of you are so upset with people pointing this out...real or not...

Im pretty sure we are all Oilers fans...and I am more than happy to hear im not the only one who thought his reaction seemed "odd"...i appreciate the single frame of Hall smiling and celebrating as absolute proof that we are wrong...of course that frame is ten seconds and 100 feet from the moment that i was talking about.

Dont confuse a simple statement for "conspiracy theory" i jumped up and celebrated the goal just like every other Oilers fan...I just thought his "immediate" reaction seemed that of disappointment...if that goes against the grain of what the average person saw...so be it...it was an observation and nothing more...no need to get up in arms about it

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
Nothing breeds togetherness like success.

Nice picture in Journal;

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/spor...Oilers+Chicago+Blackhawks/10717086/story.html

That picture is fine. But it wasn't the camera shot I was looking for.

Not trying to raise any hackles concerning my original post about it, it was a brief moment that I took notice of it.

Just wondering if anyone else saw what I saw is all.

Messiah may have

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
That picture is fine. But it wasn't the camera shot I was looking for.

Not trying to raise any hackles concerning my original post about it, it was a brief moment that I took notice of it.

Just wondering if anyone else saw what I saw is all.

Messiah may have

Heres my take.

Really unhealthy player dynamic, scapegoating, pointing fingers, blaming, being negative towards each other and cutting others down existed under Eakins (we know it did) But Nelson is instilling different words and actions here. Wouldn't surprise me that Nelson has already called out some stuff that was occurring here.

Under Eakins I would wonder because Eakins was fine with douchebaggery. Maybe even Hall was adversely impacted by that. We know yak was.

Hall has been very frustrated with Yak in the past on occasion. That is fair. But it wasn't helping anybody. I would bet that Hall recognizes that by now with Nelson in charge. If for some reason he doesn't we got a problem.

Heres another take. Hall is just now realizing these past few games how wrong he was about Eakins and everything and has a hard time smiling because he now knows that with a proper coach from the outset that this club could compete. A year ago I'll tell you that Gagner used to sit on the bench with the same expression Which was very inconsistent with the usually smiling Gagner. He was a canary too. Eakins actually managed to make Gagner quit. Was surprised by that actually. Connected is that Yak made it pretty clear last year the org was a clownshow and did the most any player ever could to bring it to light without getting fired. In his head Hall would know he defended an idiot and that Yak did not and that Yak was right all along. Think about it.

conjecture? Oh yeah, lots. But this dynamic happens in aftermath of most any org when loyalists were out to lunch, incompetents finally got deposed, and with resultant dramatic org success enusing. What sometimes occurs in such instance is the people that were critical of the incompetents suddenly look brighter..

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad