4K Televisions: Are they worth it?

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
Interesting regarding Vizio. I used my aps on my Sony or a bit but pretty much use Apple TV. I'm sure all the devices (Firesticks, Apple TV, Roku) are doing some type of data collection. My tv watching history is not all that interesting.

Problem with Vizio is they stopped supporting Prime on my TV after a year or so. Won't go with them again.

Pay Carl

punished “venom” krejci
Jun 23, 2011
Vermont
I was just reading an interview with someone from Vizio at CES on The Verge. He mentioned how the company makes a lot money on advertisements and data collection after the television is sold to the consumer, so they can afford to lower the price in the store because they'll make up the difference later. Dumb televisions don't allow for any profit after the fact, so they'd actually be more expensive than you think, because they'll make up the difference in the store.

I'd prefer to choose my own smart device and OS that is less clunky than the one that comes with the television, and since I already have one I don't need what they're providing.

Couldn't you just put a timer on your television so that turns off, or are you concerned about the Xbox running all night?

The Xbox runs all night, I can set the TV to turn off but the Xbox keeps going

Certain apps like Netflix will stop if they think you fell asleep but the ESPN app will just keep going all night and there's no sleep timer option on Xbox for some reason

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Please just give me the option to pay a little more...**** this data selling horse****.

Not that I've once used my Vizio's smart capabilities.

I'd opt to pay more up front and not have data collected, but I did read that Vizio is pretty unique in that they do allow the owner to turn off a lot of their tracking if they want to. I suspect 90% of their customers don't have a clue how to do that though, so it's a nice feature that likely isn't used much.

The Xbox runs all night, I can set the TV to turn off but the Xbox keeps going

Certain apps like Netflix will stop if they think you fell asleep but the ESPN app will just keep going all night and there's no sleep timer option on Xbox for some reason

Is the Xbox running all night harmful in some way to the machine or is it just annoying for you? I know I wouldn't want to hear the noise it makes while sleeping but I don't know much about the newer consoles to know if the constant running would be a problem. I'd assume overheating might be a problem.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
There is an auto turn off on Xbox with no activity after an hour. You may want to set it. As long as there is a good air flow it should not overheat but it's kind of a waste of energy plus may shorten the overall life of it.

Also what model is it? Have you tried using the voice on and off commands?

Pay Carl

punished “venom” krejci
Jun 23, 2011
Vermont
I'd opt to pay more up front and not have data collected, but I did read that Vizio is pretty unique in that they do allow the owner to turn off a lot of their tracking if they want to. I suspect 90% of their customers don't have a clue how to do that though, so it's a nice feature that likely isn't used much.

Is the Xbox running all night harmful in some way to the machine or is it just annoying for you? I know I wouldn't want to hear the noise it makes while sleeping but I don't know much about the newer consoles to know if the constant running would be a problem. I'd assume overheating might be a problem.

I'm sure running it all night isn't good for it. Thankfully my girlfriend and I have opposite schedules so I am usually going to bed about 2 hours before she wakes up so on most days she will just turn it off if its on. Again not a big deal just annoying. Its also annoying trying to fumble around in the dark for both controllers when I could just use one

And to @HawksFan74 My Xbox does auto turn off after an hour of no activity, but of course when I use some apps like ESPN or NHL.tv it considers that to be "activity" and doesn't turn off

Reactions: PK Cronin

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
PCworld actually covered one in a video that's very close to being available. Will be $5000 going on sale in February.

Nice. Thanks for the heads up. I'll wait for some reviews to make a decision. I have a buddy that does business with Panasonic, and he can get me pretty much any TV for roughly cost. So it will have to be daaaaamn good to make me walk away from a GZ2000 at half price.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Anyone here with a Sony 900E have issues with the TV constantly forgetting your WiFi? I need to connect to my WiFi almost every time I use the TV when it comes to apps like Youtube and whatnot. I'm thinking it might be a unique problem with my TV.

Other than that, and the slightly laggy Android user interface, it's a fantastic TV. Picture quality is top notch.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
Anyone here with a Sony 900E have issues with the TV constantly forgetting your WiFi? I need to connect to my WiFi almost every time I use the TV when it comes to apps like Youtube and whatnot. I'm thinking it might be a unique problem with my TV.

Other than that, and the slightly laggy Android user interface, it's a fantastic TV. Picture quality is top notch.

I have a similar model with no issues. If it's under warranty I would get on it.

SPV

Zoinks!
Sponsor
Feb 4, 2003
New Hampshire
hfboards.com
I just bought a TCL 6 series 55"

I notice an improvement over my old Sony when playing video games (but I don't have a PS Pro), and it looks beautiful when using Netflix in 4K; but the signal from the cable box is pretty lacking. I find watching hockey much more difficult, and the screen gets shaky from time to time when watching regular programming (just with cable though).

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I just bought a TCL 6 series 55"

I notice an improvement over my old Sony when playing video games (but I don't have a PS Pro), and it looks beautiful when using Netflix in 4K; but the signal from the cable box is pretty lacking. I find watching hockey much more difficult, and the screen gets shaky from time to time when watching regular programming (just with cable though).

What do you mean by shaky? One would think the feed from the cable box would be better than streaming, no?

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
What do you mean by shaky? One would think the feed from the cable box would be better than streaming, no?

I'm not sure what he means by "shaky," but cable feeds have much worse quality than good streaming feeds. The cable companies compress the signal (losing detail and adding loads of artifacts) so that they can deliver hundreds of channels at once. Satellite companies aren't much better. It's easy to see the difference if you have a DVR. A paused cable/satellite signal will reveal all kinds of artifacts, especially around letters, whereas a paused streaming signal (a good one, such as from Netflix) will show hardly any, more like a paused BluRay.

I hope that, one of these days, cable/satellite switches to an on demand model or a TV service that uses one comes along and turns the industry upside down. TV should be on demand, like streaming, IMO. When we flip to a channel, only that channel should be delivered (streamed) to us at the highest quality that the connection (or internet) allows, with none of that bandwidth wasted on channels that we're not watching. Also, if we missed a show or even just the start, we should be able to watch it immediately. We can already do that with some services, like HBO, but that ability should be available for all channels and shows. Finally, it would allow, if we're not subscribed to a channel, to easily rent it (for a day, a week or a month) by switching to it and confirming, so that we never have to worry that a channel isn't included in our package when we're sitting down and the show is about to start. TV that operated more like streaming would go a long way to alleviating many of the biggest frustrations with the current cable/satellite model, IMO.

Last edited:

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015
Anyone have any experience with the new Sony Z9F master series TV?

I am wondering how it compares to the previous model - Z9D?

I know that they cut some corners (less dimming zones, no backlight master drive etc) to get the price point lower than the last time they released their flagship model TV (Z9D was $6k when it first came out. Z9F is $3499).

But there are also upgrades to the processing chip (2x as powerful) and 4K upscaling (and sony’s was already the best in thr business).

Sony is calling it an upgrade over the Z9D, but they always say that about a new model.

Anyone have any experience with either/both?

SPV

Zoinks!
Sponsor
Feb 4, 2003
New Hampshire
hfboards.com

The best way I can describe it is that it looks scrambled like the old HBO & Cinemax channels on a slider box. It does that on any given channel; but not very often. I actually contacted the cable company to have them come check the wiring, I'm thinking the wiring needs to be upgraded.

The TV looks fantastic on Netflix & PS4 though.

Reactions: PK Cronin

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
The best way I can describe it is that it looks scrambled like the old HBO & Cinemax channels on a slider box. It does that on any given channel; but not very often. I actually contacted the cable company to have them come check the wiring, I'm thinking the wiring needs to be upgraded.

Sounds like a good reason to just cut the cord. :D

Reactions: SPV

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
It also depends on the channel with some cable companies, specifically Direct TV. NBC Sports Net I thought looked like garbage on Direct TV while other channels were vastly better. Some at 1080, others are maybe a compressed 720.

Using Direct TV Now currently and all channels are fairly consistent. Netflix and Amazon definitely have some of the best quality and a ton of 4k.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013

I'd be so angry if that happened to me. There's no reason for that in today's world.

Reactions: SPV

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I'm considering it, but I'm contracted for another 6 months still.

Don't know where you live or what your internet is like (I have gigabit now), but I ditched mine over two years ago and just get various streaming services and I'll never go back. The convenience and ability to cancel when I want is wonderful.

guinness

Not Ingrid for now
Mar 11, 2002
Missoula, Montana
www.missoulian.com
Don't know where you live or what your internet is like (I have gigabit now), but I ditched mine over two years ago and just get various streaming services and I'll never go back. The convenience and ability to cancel when I want is wonderful.

Live sports tho.

It's fine during regular season with the sports packages, but come playoffs...I remember about 10 years ago, I did have the NHL gamecenter, and when I could get/stay connected, it was fine, but when it wasn't...poop. And then the playoffs, nothing. And I fell in the SJ market, which meant plenty of cable blackouts.

I do like MLB at bat, but that's because baseball and radio is just so nice.

I'm considering dumping Netflix however, the level of shows just aren't there, and I find myself watching a lot more YT and Prime lately.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Live sports tho.

It's fine during regular season with the sports packages, but come playoffs...I remember about 10 years ago, I did have the NHL gamecenter, and when I could get/stay connected, it was fine, but when it wasn't...poop. And then the playoffs, nothing. And I fell in the SJ market, which meant plenty of cable blackouts.

I do like MLB at bat, but that's because baseball and radio is just so nice.

I'm considering dumping Netflix however, the level of shows just aren't there, and I find myself watching a lot more YT and Prime lately.

I know everyone has a different situation when it comes to sports. For me, I don't live within my team region anymore so I subscribe to NHL.tv anyway. Youtube TV has NBCSN so I can watch the playoff games without an issue (when my team gets there). There are just a lot of options for people to get what they want for a reasonable price. Without getting too specific, there are ways to manipulate the content you can receive from certain services that are completely legal. For example, my Youtube TV area is set to New York even though I don't live there, so I get access to their baseball and football broadcasts all the time. The channel hockey is broadcast on isn't part of what Youtube TV offers, so I'm still "stuck" with NHL.tv.

Being able to ditch Netflix and get it again in an instant is what is so nice about cutting the cord. If I decide I don't want to watch live television for a period of time, like my favorite show isn't airing at the moment, I can just cancel my subscription and then re-activate when the show comes back on air (or after it's over, binge the content, and then cancel it again).

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
Yeah I had PSvue for a year, didnt want it anymore, it was good, but didnt need liveTv for now. If I want I can just activate it anytime, no contracts, no calling. They also have Fox Sports ____ in most areas if you need local sports, and have NBCSN. Just some food for thought.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad