4K Televisions: Are they worth it?

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
The HDMI cable isn't too old, but I suppose I could try another one. I believe I've had the same issue running through the Xbox, though it's been a while so I would have to confirm that again.

The soundbar is just optical audio, and Dolby Digital is greyed out as an option. The only other option is DTS Neo 2:5, which I know nothing about. However, I know the problem isn't the soundbar, since the TV speakers have the same issue.

Do you have just the HDMI connected between the cable box and the TV or are you using that for only video and have a separate output for audio? Preferably, you should let the HDMI cable carry both video and audio to the TV and disconnect any other cables.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
Do you have just the HDMI connected between the cable box and the TV or are you using that for only video and have a separate output for audio? Preferably, you should let the HDMI cable carry both video and audio to the TV and disconnect any other cables.

Yup, cable box has just the HDMI between itself and the TV, so sound and video.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
Yup, cable box has just the HDMI between itself and the TV, so sound and video.

I've had this before on different tv's and what not. Like HBO GO is sometimes off in terms of audio synch, it's a known problem. I would try different inputs and cables to see if you can isolate the cause.

If it's only Cable with different inputs/hdmi's it could be a firmware update for your cable box. May need a new Cable Box. Also check the audio output settings on the source, in this case the Cable box.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Well yeah but how often are you doing that. You have an OS in there now, internet connections, settings.... just like anything else.

It doesn't matter how often I cold boot it because I wasn't complaining about it. I was making light of the simple fact and irony of it.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
It doesn't matter how often I cold boot it because I wasn't complaining about it. I was making light of the simple fact and irony of it.

Yeah, it's kind of interesting, the more we complicate things I guess. They also need updates as well.

I've only unplugged mine a couple times so I didn't think it was that bad. It's the only way to reset it when Netflix glitches out..

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
The superbowl sales this year didn't seem all that special. Costco dropped some of the Samsungs a couple hundred, and Bestbuy had some models at a similar price drop.

Have my eyes on a Sony 65" X930D. Thinking of waiting till March when the 2017 models start arriving to see if I can score a good deal on a 2016 closeout.

Ugh, the new Sony 2017 models are hitting the sales floors now. Sony is adding Dolby Vision* to the 2017 X930E and higher models this year though. Which is a nice step up in HDR capabilities over the 2016 TV's that only support HDR10. What to do...

* The 2017 TV's aren't shipping with Dolby Vision activated. Sony has said they'll be releasing a firmware update in a couple months to activate it.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
Looks like Sony has a OLED for 17', 55 inch is four thousand though. The screen is paper thin with just a frame, no even a logo. Get this, the speakers are in the screen??

I'll be all over this when it drops in a couple years.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/johnar...-sony-a1-oled-tvs-show-stoppers/#5bf8d00854ec

Yeah I think it was talked about a few pages back. That interests me way more than their Z9, and the Z9 is more expensive. But that $4,000 55 inch is probably getting pretty close to $6000 CAD with exchange rate and markup.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
So apparently curved screens were not that big of a hit and are being phased out of production.

I've seen some of the Samsung curved screens priced at $100 less then their flat screen counterparts recently in the local BB and Fry's. Clearing out the 2016 inventory.

guinness

Not Ingrid for now
Mar 11, 2002
Missoula, Montana
www.missoulian.com
Ugh, the new Sony 2017 models are hitting the sales floors now. Sony is adding Dolby Vision* to the 2017 X930E and higher models this year though. Which is a nice step up in HDR capabilities over the 2016 TV's that only support HDR10. What to do...

* The 2017 TV's aren't shipping with Dolby Vision activated. Sony has said they'll be releasing a firmware update in a couple months to activate it.

Weird (about waiting on the FW update, since DV is a hardware chip).

Back to DV vs HDR10, DV is supposedly better, but proprietary and requires HW, whereas HDR10 will be more 'open'.

The problem with 4K and/or HDR, is the chicken and egg issue of of content availability. I had the 4K Netflix plan for about a month, then dropped the plan when there was hardly any content. Ditto with looking at getting a 4K HDR BR player, the content just isn't there (and the discs are still too expensive).

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Weird (about waiting on the FW update, since DV is a hardware chip).

Apparently Dolby has developed a software implementation:
https://www.forbes.com/sites/johnar...-tv-could-soon-get-dolby-vision/#334606e64664

I'm not sure whether Sony has added DV hardware to the new TV's. The delay makes me suspect it's going to be a software/firmware implementation.

Sony has said they're only going to be adding DV to the TV's with the X1 Extreme processor (X930E and above). That hasn't stopped people speculating whether the new X900E model (standard X1 processor) might eventually get DV as well. The X900E is a bit of an oddity in Sony's tiers. Many of the specs/components are lower then the 930E, with the notable exception that the 900E is FALD direct lit, where the 930E is edge lit. Sizable price difference between the 900 and 930. Have yet to see them side by side to compare--local stores have them in stock but no display models on the floor yet.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Need a little help here as Im tech challenged.
:D

Earlier in this thread. About 10 months ago I posted about buying a Sony 65 850 D.
Well, as my luck would have it the picture developed a 'white blob' for lack of a better term on lower left corner. I had an extended warranty from Best Buy.
The Geek tech came today and said yeah this cant be fixed and called Sony for confirmation number to support that. He said sometimes they replace the D panel but thise arent easily available and hed push for a replace/upgrade. To my surprise thats what I was given.
So off I went to Best Buy for a replacement. Anyway the guy said the 'E' hasn't experienced this issue like 'D' has done.
They are replacing with no questions asked. No cost for $500 higher priced tv. No cost for installation and set up. And no cost for transferring my extended warranty. So pretty pleased about that.

The 65 850E tv in store looks real good to me.

My question in dumbed down if you will, what is the difference between 850D and 850E?

http://www.4ktvcomparison.com/sony-...x850e-vs-xbr65x850d-xbr75x850e-vs-xbr65x850d/

I only watch sports, movies and Netfix.

Thanks!

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
Need a little help here as Im tech challenged.
:D

Earlier in this thread. About 10 months ago I posted about buying a Sony 65 850 D.
Well, as my luck would have it the picture developed a 'white blob' for lack of a better term on lower left corner. I had an extended warranty from Best Buy.
The Geek tech came today and said yeah this cant be fixed and called Sony for confirmation number to support that. He said sometimes they replace the D panel but thise arent easily available and hed push for a replace/upgrade. To my surprise thats what I was given.
So off I went to Best Buy for a replacement. Anyway the guy said the 'E' hasn't experienced this issue like 'D' has done.
They are replacing with no questions asked. No cost for $500 higher priced tv. No cost for installation and set up. And no cost for transferring my extended warranty. So pretty pleased about that.

The 65 850E tv in store looks real good to me.

My question in dumbed down if you will, what is the difference between 850D and 850E?

http://www.4ktvcomparison.com/sony-...x850e-vs-xbr65x850d-xbr75x850e-vs-xbr65x850d/

I only watch sports, movies and Netfix.

Thanks!

EDIT: Never mind.

Why would you ask a question that is answered on the very page you linked.

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
Because I didnt really understand the differences. The panels type and bit mapping.

Here's a good explanation of panels. VA has got it's advantages, but isn't great with motion. It tries to do everything mediocre instead of just being the best in one thing. Everything is a compromise.

TN vs. IPS vs. PLS vs. VA Panel Type Conclusion

As with many things in life, nothing ever seems to be perfect. Each panel type/technology has its own advantages and disadvantages.
CRTs provide practically no input lag and have extremely low response times, which makes them useful for competitive gaming, but their size, resolution limits, aspect ratio restrictions, and other issues make them largely unused in recent years.
TN panels are another good choice for competitive gamers, as they support higher refresh rates, low response times, decent input lag, and high resolutions. Their bad viewing angles, color reproduction, and slight blurring compared to CRT monitors (due to higher response times) are all disadvantages, ones which cannot be easily fixed.

IPS panels solve the issues of TN panels, with better color reproduction and viewing angles, but do so at the cost of refresh rate and response time. IPS panels are especially useful for those not wanting to play too competitively, but want a beautiful/immersive visual experience. PLS and AHVA are similar enough to IPS to usually not be differentiated.
VA panels provide a good middle ground with better-than-IPS refresh rates and contrast levels, but have worse viewing angles and color production, although generally still better than TN. Response times are VA’s largest downfall, though, being slower than IPS and its variants and TN.

What’s best for you will depend on all of these items. For those wanting to play at a competitive level and who favor FPS or racing games, TN panels are best. Those wanting a more impressive and immersive experience may want an IPS (or similar variant, such as PLS), especially if working on artistic endeavors. Finally, those wanting a general monitor for work might consider a VA panel, although due to their higher response times, they won’t be good for gaming.

While monitors may sometimes seem simple in that they just display pretty pictures -- as with everything else -- they are more complicated than they appear at first glance.

http://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/1890-panel-comparison-tn-ips-pls-va-crt

Don't know much about bit mapping, but HDR is a step up when talking about definition of picture. I would be happy with the VA because I don't game and I'm pretty sure the panel is good enough for Sports.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Here's a good explanation of panels. VA has got it's advantages, but isn't great with motion. It tries to do everything mediocre instead of just being the best in one thing. Everything is a compromise.

http://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/1890-panel-comparison-tn-ips-pls-va-crt

Don't know much about bit mapping, but HDR is a step up when talking about definition of picture. I would be happy with the VA because I don't game and I'm pretty sure the panel is good enough for Sports.

^ Just looks like some minor tweeks with black level being a bit better. I hope my Sony gets a white blob in a year...lol.

Thanks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad