Post-Game Talk (GBU): #48...the Bad, and the Ugly

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
The Good -

- Some early push from the Larsson line.
- PKing was solid.
- Really liked most of Lehner tonight.

The Bad -

- Even strength goals, where have you gone? That's 10.... TEN periods without an ESGF.
- Foligno's penalty and his spaceout on the Zetterberg goal.
- Risto ineffective rotation and fishing trip to his own blueline on that goal.
- Lehner allowing the first one off his inside leg.
- McGinn's backcheck on Larkin on the first goal.
- Franson-McCabe.

The Ugly -

- Hated the COR-Eichel-McGinn line and Eichel completely **** himself tonight.
- Officiating can **** right off.

sabresfan129103

1-4-6-14
Apr 10, 2006
Amherst, NY
It seems like it's feast or famine with the goals this year. 3 goals in the last 3 games. They could score at double that pace and it would still be bad. That's the inconsistency of a young team I suppose. At least they have off until Monday.

Onslow

Mar 25, 2015
Here and There
Lehner was good.
PK was good.
Third line had some chances.

Everything else was bad. Really bad. That third period was brutal.

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
Games like this make me ache for how seemingly close we were to Babcock...

You could've had Scotty Bowman at his best and there wasn't a thing he could've done to help this group tonight. matt Moulson on the first line, cal oreilly and jamie McGinn on the 2nd line. Phile Varone on the third line. This team is decimated. They also didn't want to skate, at all.

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
G: Lehner
Draft percentage chances

B: Forwards
Defense
Refs
Announcers

U: Lehner haters. They are all poop heads.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
I want the Sabres broadcasts to exclusively refer to Jack Adams Award Winner Dan Bylsma, as Jack Adams Award Winner Dan Bylsma. Or JAAWDB for short.

MattyB101

Mar 9, 2014
Rochester NY
Good:
Realized early in the second not to waste my time on this one. Watched the Amerks game instead.

Bad:
This team apparently does better with the opposition coach choosing the match-ups.

Ugly:
Flashbacks to last years "Defend the Alamo" style of play before I turned off the game.

Old Navy Goat

Apr 24, 2003
Pattaya Thailand aka adult Disneyland
You could've had Scotty Bowman at his best and there wasn't a thing he could've done to help this group tonight. matt Moulson on the first line, cal oreilly and jamie McGinn on the 2nd line. Phile Varone on the third line. This team is decimated. They also didn't want to skate, at all.

We had Bowman at his best and he destroyed the team.

The team looked semi-enthused in the 1st, abysmal in the 2nd and were running for the buses in the 3rd. The only line with any semblance of jump was the 3rd.

gvandeke

Apr 1, 2015
G -
Lehner
Kane at least looked like be was trying...

B -
Detroit getting away with interferene

U -
Everyone not named Kane or Lehner

kenfury

Feb 5, 2011
Tim Peel was one of the refs. Coincidence? I think not.

I'm kind of tired of the Tim Peel hate fest. Is he the best? No, but he is a competent, middling ref who has been in the league for years. I wish I was half as good as Tim Peel both in skating and being the 50% of the top 10%. Tim is by everything I hear a good person who is unexceptional in the best league in the world. He is Josh Georges. Anyone worse than him washes out in two years never to have anyone know his name.

This rant brought to you by the letter V for vodka.

enthusiast

cybersabre his prophet
Oct 20, 2009
- Refereeing seemed to watch the play without following the game. Even minor stuff was off.

- Lotta red at the arena tonight, and they were pretty loud at times.

- Franson had a few nice plays in their zone

- Kane was probably the best Sabre skater imo

SamuraiArt

Balso Par Big John S
Sep 17, 2013
Buffalo
- Kane was probably the best Sabre skater imo

Kane had a really nice play to get the puck out of our zone towards the end of the third. I don't remember if it was during Foligno's penalty (because we spent almost two periods in our own end) but it was around there. He was buzzing around the net all game. I did catch him get pushed off the puck relatively easily once or twice though.

Today was my first time seeing Lehner in person. I walked away impressed. Can't extrapolate much from one game but he kept the team in the game through the second and most of the third. That deserves a lot of credit in my book.

I thought we had a nice couple chances to start the second before the wheels fell off.

I'm not sure if they were tired from the time change from Colorado or what but they looked tired and unmotivated most of the night.

ende

Dec 12, 2005
Games like this make me ache for how seemingly close we were to Babcock...

Babcock would not be getting much different results with this roster at this point in time. It's not about system or coaching or anything like that, it's simply a very young core of players that will take time to gel.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Babcock would not be getting much different results with this roster at this point in time. It's not about system or coaching or anything like that, it's simply a very young core of players that will take time to gel.

It is very much about system and coaching... And yes, a very young core is in the equation as well.

SoFFacet

Jan 4, 2010
Rochester, NY
Good.

Lehner.
PK.
On track for better pick than we deserve.

Bad.

ES offense.

Ugly.

Injury report.
GA right after 4 minute PK just like we all knew would happen.

Heraldic

Dec 12, 2013
This game really clearly highlighted the thing I have hated this season, and why our ES scoring sucks so badly.

Basically we defend really low, so we cannot make any fast transitions... That's generally okay (and it's the way most possession teams defend generally), IF.... It wouldn't be a problem that big, if we, after getting the possession, tried to calm it down and find an open man. But we don't, we just try to clear a zone (by trying to blindly dump it to the blueline). This way we don't only lose the possibility to create offense, we also usually fail to get the puck out of our zone (because all the forwards are deep), and if we do, we lose the possession, and the same circus continues.

And that was basically the hockey we watched last year. I have no idea why sometimes we actually play like we should (not just in a panic, blindly try to clear a zone, but instead calm it down and create from there), but too many times we see the team playing like last night. If we want to be a possession team, we should at least try to be. Yeah, most likely we would see a bit more turnovers, but I doubt it is worse than just creating no offense and being constantly hammered on your own zone.

BowieSabresFan

Nov 18, 2010
It is very much about system and coaching... And yes, a very young core is in the equation as well.

If Babcock was coaching last night, the score would have been... 3-0 Detroit. That's an agenda I hear talking.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad